PDA

View Full Version : Who here lives with an animal?

Puddle Jumper
12-21-2005, 11:08 PM
This might get some humorous responses.

Anyway, do you live with any animals and if so, what kind?

I live with a plain ol' cat and puppy. I think the cat is mostly Norwegian Forest Cat, the puppy is a pure-bred beagle. The only thing my cat seems to think the puppy is good for is a punching bag.

luv2writestuff
12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi! I live with my cat! I tell you nobody but God loves me more than this cat! : ) (not even my DH) We call the cat "Mike" the cat. He follows me everywhere I go ... except outside (he's a fraidy cat!) but he'll watch me from the door! And, of course, the writing space on my computer desk ... is somehow NOT for writing! Mike the Cat thinks that space is all for HIM!

And if I leave ... it really upsets him. He'll usually leave me a lovely gift of POOP right on my side of the bed! Disgusting! ( I have to remember to shut that door next time I leave!)

Pets are funny! : ) Enjoy! Thanks for sharing your stories!

Blessings,
Debbie

Puddle Jumper
12-22-2005, 01:01 AM
My cat's a fraidy cat too. If I don't come home by a certain time in the evening, it's been reported to me that she wanders around aimlessly meowing. If I come in late, she's there to meet me. And of course she's of the opinion that it is my duty to give her some tuna every night. If I've not done my duty she lets me know by incessant meowing and if I'm on the computer, she'll lift up one paw and pet my elbow as if to say, "Come on, I'm waiting."

CampCreek
12-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I live with dogs. Lots and lots of dogs. DH Kenny and I do a bit of rescue since we have the room. Our friends call us "Spicewood's Unofficial Canine, Kitty & Equine Rescue" or SUCKER for short. *snicker*

The main way we rehabilitate a neglected or abused dog is to bring them in the house with us as often as we can. Doing that lets them know they are part of our "pack" and that helps them relax quicker and better, which means they gain weight back faster, heal any injuries sooner and respond better to retraining. It's hell on the carpets though. We've ripped up the living room carpet and will soon have linoleum or wood down. Can't wait 'til there's wood throughout the entire house.

It's hard dealing with the mess, but it's worth it! As I type this, two lab mixes are laying on my bed, relaxing. One of them is a recent rescue. She came to us in horrible condition ~ skin and bones, pregnant, and quite neurotic from being kept on a chain 24/7 for who knows how long. It's only been three months and she's settled in nicely. She refused to get up on the bed for the longest time, or even approach us much at all. She now knows not to get up on the bed unless I tell her she can (after I've made it) and just now settled down from begging for petting by breathing hard in my ear and 'smiling'.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif And she's SUCH a GOOD dog! Very well mannered, quiet, already housetrained, and definitely not a counter surfer. Her former owner had no idea what a great dog he had. Too bad, so sad for him. ;)

The puppies are here, too. Oh, boy are they here! Now THERE'S where you get the laughs! They're so cute! What can you say about puppies except how adorable they are?! I've got to get pictures to share with you all.

Cathy C
12-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Two large dogs (husky/australian shephard mix), three cats of questionable origin (I swear one had a bobcat parent if his size is any indication!) and twenty-four Boer/Spanish goats! (they're meat goats, not dairy) :D

ljcblue
12-22-2005, 02:49 AM
current animals include 2 rats and 1 puppy. In the recent past we've also had a bearded dragon. Alas, "Boomerang" is in the great desert in the sky.

:)

scarletpeaches
12-22-2005, 03:01 AM
One hamster. He poos a lot.

awatkins
12-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Two parrots. They poop a lot, too. :D

Two fish tanks. One sweet, old doggy who is almost deaf.

PatriciaL
12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
I love this post. My life is filled with cats--there are currently 3 and two of them are formerly feral. What a challenge these kitties can present.

Winfield is a white odd-eye normal domestica cat. We call him the Wal Mart Greeter. He loves company--especially people wearing black (black fabric attracts and shows white fur...get it?). He's 11.

We found Max and is siblings living in our woodshed and rescued the three of them. Max is a plush tuxedo cat--only his markings are brown and white instead of black and white. He's quite handsome, actually. He also has the Siamese blue eyes. He's 7 and still a bit of a scardy cat, but boy does he adore me.

Sophie is a 14-month old short-hair tortie. She was found living on the streets and captured when she was about 10 weeks old. She has socialized better than Max has. She is calmer and less stressed than poor Max. In fact, you wouldn't know she came from a feral background except that she dives for cover when a stranger walks in.

I'm currently writing a book of cat stories and it includes Sophie's and Max's stories.

Patricia
www.matilijapress.com (http://www.matilijapress.com)
visit my blog-- www.matilijapress.com/publishingblog (http://www.matilijapress.com/publishingblog)

Pike
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Outside of my kids... 2 dogs and 6 cats! Several were rescued, some given to us willingly, and one cat in particular wandered around our home for three years before she felt safe enough to come in.

We live about ten miles out of town in the sticks so we receive an occasional drop off. There's been more of each that we've taken to shelters, found homes for ourselves and even used the local vet as a black market resource to pass on the unwanted criiters dumped on out doorstep.

CampCreek
12-23-2005, 02:40 AM
We live about ten miles out of town in the sticks so we receive an occasional drop off. There's been more of each that we've taken to shelters, found homes for ourselves and even used the local vet as a black market resource to pass on the unwanted criiters dumped on out doorstep. :ROTF: Same here! What is it about people who think it's just fine to dump a dog or cat out in the country?! Grrrrr...

One of our most beloved dogs is a former dumpee. She has such a personality! She's a little red merle heeler who wants to work so bad. I take her out in the pasture every so often and let her work the cattle a bit. She's as happy as a clam with just that, bless her little heart. When we first got her, she would cower and pee on herself if you even raised your voice to her. We've got her out of that now and did it almost too well ~ she bugs us now wanting attention, barking that little trilly bark heelers have whenever she thinks she needs some more lovin'. We named her Nellie because she's almost a pest about it! :ROTF:

CACTUSWENDY
12-23-2005, 02:50 AM
:popcorn: Two legged or four?

veinglory
12-23-2005, 03:01 AM
I have a spollie. He looks like a border collie but has the brains and water-love of a spaniel--if he wasn't cute he'd be in a lot of trouble.

He is also my best selling stock photo subject (other than the flag): http://tinyurl.com/8opdn

Pike
12-23-2005, 04:00 AM
:ROTF: Same here! What is it about people who think it's just fine to dump a dog or cat out in the country?! Grrrrr...

One of our most beloved dogs is a former dumpee. She has such a personality! She's a little red merle heeler who wants to work so bad. I take her out in the pasture every so often and let her work the cattle a bit. She's as happy as a clam with just that, bless her little heart. When we first got her, she would cower and pee on herself if you even raised your voice to her. We've got her out of that now and did it almost too well ~ she bugs us now wanting attention, barking that little trilly bark heelers have whenever she thinks she needs some more lovin'. We named her Nellie because she's almost a pest about it! :ROTF:

Hey J.C., I'm in total agreement. The little wandering cat that circled our house has turned out to be one of the most affectionate animals I have. My wife named her Sassy because she used to hiss and swat at us when we pet her. Now, i ball her up and smother her with kisses and she purrs like a motor boat. She had a litter shortly after she moved in and we kept one of the boys. He's lived here all his life and is 100 times more skitish then his mother ever was.

The open country does attract unwanted pets like lottery winners develop relatives. LOL.

CampCreek
12-23-2005, 04:07 AM
The open country does attract unwanted pets like lottery winners develop relatives. LOL. :ROFL: Yep!

veinglory
12-23-2005, 04:12 AM
also schools, they are deserted animal magnets

Reece10
12-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

A cat named Cici who is spoilt-rotten! (like all good pets should be!)

My kids chose her from the animal shelter when she was just a scrawny, little kitten, but now she's the Love of our Life who lives like a Queen!

Reece

GHF65
12-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I'll weigh in here with 6 horses, 10 chickens, two cats, one cockatoo, one button quail, and Cliff, who doesn't like it when I list him with the animals. I keep telling him I'll take him off the list when he stops leaving his socks on the floor.

TwentyFour
12-26-2005, 08:30 PM
[B][I]I live with two cockatail birds, I think I spelled that name wrong though...LOL...

The male is Mario and he is my sons first bird. The second, a female named Peach, was just a baby when we got her and has grown now with Mario at her side. What is cute is when I get one out of the cage (they are handfed) and the other starts a high pitched squawk because they think I'm stealing their mate. They get into little fights in the cage. I see them sitting there kissing and cuddling, then all of a sudden one will peck the other on the head and they start squawking at one another!

Peach has a habit of singing in the morning, while Mario likes to keep quietly and sing in the afternoon sometimes. Sometimes Peach will chase him around the cage and sing to him. He tries to run away but cant.

September skies
12-26-2005, 10:14 PM
five neighbor kids, four little dogs, three children, two sneaky cats, and a hamster in a pear cage

Dawno
12-26-2005, 10:35 PM
We're down to the one cat, Yoghurt. Oatmeal and Pumpkin passed away this year - they were both 16 and we adopted them off a farm where their parents were barn cats.

Yoghurt showed up at our door a couple years later. He was probably around a year old. We ran an ad in the local paper but nobody claimed him (he had a collar so we were pretty sure someone had owned him). He's a light grey cat with black ears and darker grey legs, looks like a siamese mix. Since his adopted sibs are gone he's gotten very possessive of us.

Unique
12-27-2005, 12:43 AM
They're little people with FUR!:box:

hmmmph. Just ask them. They'll tell you.

Pike
12-27-2005, 06:30 AM

Self-absorbed, litterbox-defiling, leg weights. But I love 'em.

DanaS
12-29-2005, 06:55 PM
This is a fun topic and very interesting to read! Thought I'd jump in as well-currently I live with one two legged human animal, two adult westies, one adult scottie, one puppy westie, one part siamese kitty, and one lone fish. I also participate in rescue so the number can increase at various times. They all provide so much love and fun-I don't know what I would do without them (even the two legged one-lol).
Christmas morning is especially fun, as they can't wait to descend the stairs to check their stockings and open all their presents. It is quite funny as they look and hope for more and more gifts to open. Our Scottie apparently felt he didn't get what he wanted and decided to sit with each one of us and help us open our gifts-fortunately he eventually found what he wanted, it was in his stocking. They love to open presents, and it makes the holiday even more special with their obvious excitement.

Thaks for starting this thread-it's fun! Dana

EyesClosed
12-30-2005, 12:38 PM
I live with my 11 month old puppy, Lucy! She's a Shetland Sheepdog (like a mini-Lassie!) and just adorable. But she does bark a lot! It's kind of ironic, I didn't actually realize how similar the name 'Lucy' was to 'Lassie' until a few months after I'd named her. Funny old world, innit?

ketch
02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I live with a pure bred Weimeraner (2 years old next month) who is like our child. She's just amazing! She's smart and acts just like a little person. Everyone is afraid of her because of her size (about 80 lb, with very long legs), but she's a big wuss!

I also live with 2 former stray cats. One is a siamese or snowshoe mix that animal control picked up almost dead and nursed back to health. She's the queen sheba of the house. The other is a torti/tabby mix (?) who is little and spunky and causes trouble all the time. She loves water and rubs up against your wet legs when you get out of the shower. She's best friends with the dog and likes to knock things off the kitchen counter for her and rub up against her legs. She's very vocal and will talk your ear off...and also call the other cat when she's bored.

You gotta love 'em!

Royale With Cheese
02-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I used to. I call her my ex-wife.

lobiso
02-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Since you asked...we have 7 dogs and 3 cats. Molly, the Cocker Spaniel from Hell, was my husband's dog when we met 8 years ago and she is now 12. Boomer was mine - he's a beagle/jack russell/something hairy mix going on 14. Neither one can hear anymore. That was the extent of our little family until we moved to the Kentucky woods. A year ago Jan. someone saw fit to dump a dalmation in the woods. He wandered around for almost 2 weeks before we finally found him (everyone kept telling us they saw a dalmation but nobody tried to help him). He is around 8 years old, can't hear, and has a spinal cord problem that causes some physical problems, but all in all he's a sweetie. That was it, I said - no more dogs! So my husband brings home a beautiful purebred beagle that showed up at his friend's house and promptly was bred by his friend's dog. He wouldn't spay her - she looked like she'd swallowd a basketball. Sadie Lou had nine - count 'em- nine puppies. Six survived. We placed three, and my husband refused to give up the rest. Enter Howler, Washi (Lakota for lard), and Joe Dirt. Half beagle, half husky/coyote. All they do is bark and run. Joe Dirt was the runt - his moma used to separate him from the others and shove him in a dirt nest under my studio. Hence - Joe Dirt. Sadly, we lost Sadie Lou in October. We get maybe five cars a day going by, one managed to kill her when we weren't home. We think, on purpose.

Sorry this is long, but having gone this far, I have to tell you about Walela (Cherokee for Hummingbird). Beagle, 9 mos.; dumped/abandoned with 2 siblings in woods. Siblings were captured - she was starving. She lived alone in the woods for six months; took me 3 months and a ton of hot dogs to win her over. Now she sleeps in bed with me and keeps the boys in line. No more dogs!

Three cats - Tucker, Max - both showed up at the door. And Roadie - because my husband found him in the roadie.

Leva
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Cats, dogs, goats, poultry.

Four cats:

McGuffin, "Mickey", who came from a friend's farm and is a gen-u-ine feral from a long line of feral cats. I'd wanted a kitten from a particular queen forever -- she was not tame, but she was always in good health and we knew for a fact that she was at least 17 because my friend had lived there 17 years. Mickey was her last kitten, the only one in that litter, and she died just after she had him. Pretty impressive for a feral cat to live (and breed!) at least 17 years ... Mickey was 12 weeks or so old when I got him, wild as could be, and had worms, fleas, and was infested with a particularly scary looking species of ear tick my vet had never seen outside of cattle. (And my vet's a farm vet who I suspect has seen just about everything!)

Mickey is more-or-less tame for me, though it took him about three months to emerge from behind the bookcase after the BF came in. (He now prefers the BF's lap to mine, I think.) He's undeniably cute -- a ginger tom with a white chest and collar and paws, and six toes on every foot.

At the same time I got Mickey, within a few days, I also got Robin and Mary Sue, siblings -- they were about 3-4 weeks old and I had to bottle feed them for a couple of weeks. Rescues. They're thoroughly domestic cats, and it's amazing the difference in mindset between domestic kitties and true ferals ... if something's going on, the domestic kitties have to check it out. Mickey streaks to his hidey-hole behind the bookshelf!

Robin's notable for jumping up into people's arms or onto their shoulders. Sometimes when they're not expecting it. :D He never uses his claws doing this, but he WILL cling like velcro if you try to remove him after he's made himself at home in your arms.

Peaches (or Bitches, as the mood warrents) is the latest addition -- she was another rescue, dumped at the feed store at about four months of age. She's cranky, ornery, a real scrapper, hates being picked up (but will jump in your lap), and is Mickey's best buddy.

Also have two dogs, both rescues:

Oliver's a Queensland Heeler/Dobie cross -- he'd been really abused when I got him and was turned into the pound for "being bad with kids." By his behavior, I suspect it's more a case of "kids bad with dog!" He's a love, but it took him a few years to really trust me. I still have to muzzle him at bathtime or at the vet's as he's definitely a fear biter and he's absolutely terrified of being restrained, but he's really come around otherwise. He's a sensible guard dog -- he'll let the meter man in, but demonstratably will protect my livestock and ME! :D -- he can be trusted with the other animals, and he's just a good ranch dog. Obediant, calm most of the time, comes when called.

Cassidy ... Cassidy's Aussie and Heeler mixed. I'm very familiar with the breed type and she is THE most hyper example I've ever seen of a herding dog. This is a dog who greets people by jumping up to eye level with them. Multiple times. Who will chase a frisbee for literally hours and still be bouncing for more. I rescued this dog from someone who was IN LINE to turn her into the pound because she wasn't an apartment dog ... understatement if I ever heard one! I've tried a few times to wear her out, and I don't think it's possible. She has no sense of self preservation -- she got butted by a goat two weeks after I brought her home and broke her shoulderblade. Spent six weeks in a crate, healing. The day I turned her loose off a leash, she tried to herd the exact same goat.

Cassidy's smart, and she's actually trainable -- we're working on channelling that herding instinct -- and she listens well when you're giving her something to do ... but she's just sooooo hyper.

I've got an acre fenced in, with lots to do -- she plays with Oliver whether he wants to play or not, teases the goats through the fence, digs up gophers, herds bunnies, herds lizards, herds the chickens, attempts to herd the guinea hens which are too stupid to herd properly, herds the cats, herds Oliver, herds her shadow, plays with Oliver some more, barks at anything that passes by and runs wildly around the yard in excitement because there's something to bark at! ... and mixes and repeats the whole routine all day and most of the night. It is a very good thing I live in the country. :)

I've been around dogs my whole life, and this is the most hyper animal I've ever seen. Keeping weight on her is kindof a problem ...

I'm hoping she'll mellow out in a year or two. She's not unmaneagable, she's just ... intense.

(She is also one of the best-natured dogs I've ever seen. You can absolutely do anything to her and she just wags her tail and begs for more. When I took her into the vets with the broken shoulderblade, she was screaming and shaking in pain -- and still wagging that tail and wanting to be everybody's friend. Never even considered biting anyone.)

Also have six goats:

3 miniature nigerians -- mama and two babies, who are now bigger than mama, but don't tell mama that. They're milk goats.

2 nubian mutts -- these guys are pets, and nothing more. :) Houdini has a leg injury that prevents him from being anything but a mascot, and Einstein's too dumb to do anything with. (The name was given sarcastically ...)

1 alpine wether, who weighs about 220 pounds, who is trained to pack. Having dealt with horses ... I'll take a 200 pound pack goat over a horse any day. The goat can get places a horse can't, and you can transport the goat in the back of a pickup!

Also, varying numbers of poultry -- at the moment, I'd guesstimate around 30 laying-age hens, ten roosters, ten pullets who are three months old now, seven turkeys, and five @#% guinea fowl, four of which are roosters -- I think I'm going to find out what guinea fowl tastes like in the near future.

Plus an assortment of baby poultry that's for sale -- I was hatching and selling chicks, but I'm getting out of it for now and just working on a few breeding projects with the birds for my own pleasure.

Leva

Yeshanu
02-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Between two households we have four teenagers and a twenty-year-old (human type animals) five cats, one rat, one betta, one plecostamus, one catfish, two gold fish, two sailfin mollies, and ten neon tetras.

Three of the five cats were "give aways" -- one from a student who didn't think beyond graduation when he got her, one very ancient grey tabby who didn't thrive in a ten-cat household, and one manx female who clawed her way out the screen one fine summer's day, just before she was due to visit the vet. Hence the other two cats...

Harley (the former student's former cat) thinks he's people. "Wal-Mart Greeter" indeed! He's always at the door waiting to greet visitors. Pizzicato, the ancient grey tabby, is similar in temprament, though a bit more of a pest when he wants petting. Xena is shyer, but she'll come out eventually. Hercules, one of her kittens, won't even let me pet him most of the time, and unless you visit for a long time (I'm talking days, here) you won't know he's there. His other sibling, Mozart, is anything but a genius. He's probably the stupidest cat I've ever come across.

But I love 'em all.

DamaNegra
02-05-2006, 03:23 AM
I've got a female 2-year old fox terrier who think's she's a person. She's the one on my avatar, sniffing at the camera.

She's just like a human too: self-centered, does things and goes to people when she's getting something in return, vain, lazy and wants all the attention to herself.

Other than that, she's a complete sweetheart. And she's cute, though.

But I'm sad!! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gif we sent her to a dog so she'd have puppies and now all I can think of is that my baby is having sex!! I feel like a mother who has found out her 13-year old daughter is not a virgin anymore, and it feels horrible! I want my baby back!!

awatkins
02-05-2006, 03:30 AM
:ROFL: DamaNegra, don't think about it--think about the adorable puppies that will be on the way.

I love your avatar and wondered if it was your doggy. :)

AmyDoodle
02-05-2006, 04:39 AM
DamaNegra--

I can appreciate your concern about your baby girl. I'm sure I would feel the same way. But since I've got a baby boy, I have a little bit of a different problem. This five month old, fifty-four pound supercharged source of energy is having sex everywhere I look--with his blanket, with the laundry basket, with my sleigh bed, with my new REEBOKS, for God's sakes. I had him neutered last week; surely the hormones will be gone soon! But it's hard to be nonchalant when the dog's pillow gets the most action in the house!

The neighbor brought this little guy home on Halloween because he was too rowdy for his granddaughter, and he let the puppy run loose, even though we live by an extremely busy thoroughfare. When we brought this to the neighbor's attention, he responded by staking the dog to a bicycle with a tie-wrap for a collar. So of course, I did the right thing--and sent my husband over to Get That Sweet Baby Right Now! The neighbor was glad to get rid of him--he said they didn't realize a Dalmation-Lab mix would have so much energy! I just laughed and laughed--until I realized I'm the one walking him two hours a day!

I also have a prima-donna Dachshund mix who is offended that I brought a dog into the house. She always thought she was a cat princess, and rules my kitty commoners Justin, Caeser, and Beauty with haughty disdain. All are strays or giveaways.

I never set out to do rescue work. There must be a flashing neon sign over my house that says SUCKER in letters that only animals can see.

SHBueche
02-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I share my home, with one husband, two teens and three canine companions aka, the Killer 'B's.' I like to tell people (especially those pesky telemarketers) that I am a canine homeschool teacher. I have a great photo of two of my hounds at my website (below):

awatkins
02-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I LOVE that picture, Shelley! It's adorable. :)

Dollywagon
02-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh well, since somebody even mentioned wether goats being great pack animals I feel I am in good company!

3 Wether goats - Love 'em to bits!
3 Icleandic Sheep
1 Hebridean Sheep
22 Muscovy ducks
13 Hens
4 Geese
3 very, very, very, lazy cats
1 mental dog

On the dumping theme, most of mine are everybody elses cast-off's, Icelandic sheep apart.

D.J.
02-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Same for dogs. My furbabies are our kids! I only have two English Mastiffs, but wish we could have more. I just don't want to mess with the harmony we have. I don't want to deal with a pack mentality with dogs weighing well over 200 each. How do you get 450 pounds of dog apart if the need arose?
I had Akitas (around 100 pounds each) before who thought all animals must die, even each other. It was so hard to get them apart and a vet trip always took place after an encounter. We were always on pins and needles over it. I loved them dearly and couldn't stand to get rid of them. I feel an animal is a commitment and you should deal with any problems and not throw in the towel.
My babies now are very loving lapdogs and add so much to our lives!

Hummingbird
02-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Well, currently I have 1 cat. She's an abby/bangle mix. Puddin' is so cute! Problem is, that she is as cute as she is hyper. Puddin races through the house, pulling herself along the floor by grabbing the carpet with her claws. She lays her ears back and 'attacks' the carpeted stairs, and enjoys going places she's not supposed to just so someone will chase her. I don't chase her when she's in trouble, but one of her favorite games is Tag, so I do play with her sometimes.
She's hilarious! Queen and Athlete of the house.

I also had an australorp hen, but she's staying with a friend because I couldn't bring her with me when I moved last. She didn't like any name I tried to give her but 'Greeting Hen'. She thought that sounded neat. Any time someone would come out to the house, she'd be the first 'person' out there to say hello. She'd talk to them and when I would come out she'd let me do the talking for a little bit before joining in again. Some times she would even ride on my shoulder.
I miss her. Oh well, she liked my friend she is staying with, so I'm pretty sure she is having fun.

awatkins
02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Hummingbird,

What's an australorp hen? Sounds interesting. :)

VictoriaE
02-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I live with 2 cats, one of which we think if pregnant. If she is, she will be having her kittens around the end of the month :D

Hummingbird
02-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Awatkins- It's a large black hen with a green tint to her feathers. I think she almost came up to my knee in height. The hens are alot of fun, but the australorp roosters are mean.
It took me a while to not fall over when she started jumping onto my shoulder. The first time she did it, I almost fell forward and she flew ahead a few feet and started griping at me. I'd pick her up and pet her, but she wasn't happy until she could jump onto my shoulder without me moving. Hey, I guess that means I was trained by a chicken! ;)

awatkins
02-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen one of those! They sound really pretty.

It took me a while to not fall over when she started jumping onto my shoulder. The first time she did it, I almost fell forward and she flew ahead a few feet and started griping at me. I'd pick her up and pet her, but she wasn't happy until she could jump onto my shoulder without me moving. Hey, I guess that means I was trained by a chicken! ;)

That's hilarious! I'd love to have witnessed that. :D

Hummingbird
02-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Oh thankyou! ;) I would've loved to witness it too, but alas, I was the perch. :D

awatkins
02-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm quite familiar with being a perch, just not for chickens. :ROFL:

<---- I live with this guy. :D

Love your avatar!

eldragon
02-11-2006, 01:56 AM
I live with a 4 year old Great Pyranees dog; 2 hooded rats; a Chilean Rose tarantula; and anywhere from 5-10 cats, all of which are welcome to come inside or stay outside.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hummingbird
02-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Awatkins - I never thought I'd be one until she came along! :D

Your parrot is so cute! And all this time I thought you just had a cute stranger on your avatar. ;) What kind is he?

Thanks! I love your avatar too!

GHF65
02-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Awatkins- It's a large black hen with a green tint to her feathers. I think she almost came up to my knee in height. The hens are alot of fun, but the australorp roosters are mean.

Hummingbird, I've seen Australorps (they're black orpington's bred in Australia)at the state fair. This year I think I'll buy one! Greeting Hen sounds like a real character. That's what I aim for in my flock--diversity. Each one has a personality of her own. Every year we add one new hen of a different variety to the basic gang of Rhode Island Red layers. Two years ago it was a bantam black Polish my partner named "Yakker" in honor of her habit of sitting on the edge of the nesting box yelling at him while he cleaned the coop and replenished the feed. The year before that it was a Columbian Wyandotte as big as a turkey. The bantam silkie I named Fluffbudget is still my favorite. He/she (we're still not sure) grew up in my daughter's room, learned to take naps on the bed lying flat out on her side, and is still the funniest bird on two legs. It didn't lay for the first two years, then laid one egg a month for a while. Now it's back to not laying. Gay, or just confused? We may never know.

For those of you interested in chickens, I want to recommend Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance by Martin Gurdon. Funny, funny book but full of important chicken information and lore.

Hummingbird
02-11-2006, 10:30 PM
That must be fun! I would've loved to add a new chicken to mine every year.
Black polish are funny looking birds! :) I've never had a hen, but the roosters look like they are going to fall over under the weight of the huge tuft on their head. Do the hens have them too?
Fluffbudget sounds like fun! I can imagine how funny it'd look napping! If I saw it I might mistake it for being dead. ;)
One of my hens laid a while and decided to stop. She was a picky thing though. All the birds (chickens and ducks) were happy with the feed, but that one hen. When we gave it to her she decided she wasn't going to lay anymore. At least, I'm guessing she just didn't want to since she'd gripe when I threw in that kind of feed. Every now and then she'd get some of the goat feed and she'd lay again for a while. :Shrug:
But, your bird is probably just confused or something. :D
Once I had a Rouen boy duck that thought he was a girl. He tried quacking, but it sounded like he had a cough. After a while the poor thing gave up and joined the other boys.

awatkins
02-12-2006, 04:08 AM
Your parrot is so cute! And all this time I thought you just had a cute stranger on your avatar. ;) What kind is he?

Thanks! I love your avatar too!

Aw, thanks. :) Pancho is an Orange-winged Amazon parrot. He's a sweetie! I also have Rio, a Blue-crowned conure. He helped me write my book. Talk about a tough editor. Whew! ;)

GHF65
02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
That must be fun! I would've loved to add a new chicken to mine every year.
Black polish are funny looking birds! :) I've never had a hen, but the roosters look like they are going to fall over under the weight of the huge tuft on their head. Do the hens have them too?
Fluffbudget sounds like fun! I can imagine how funny it'd look napping! If I saw it I might mistake it for being dead. ;)
One of my hens laid a while and decided to stop. She was a picky thing though. All the birds (chickens and ducks) were happy with the feed, but that one hen. When we gave it to her she decided she wasn't going to lay anymore. At least, I'm guessing she just didn't want to since she'd gripe when I threw in that kind of feed. Every now and then she'd get some of the goat feed and she'd lay again for a while. :Shrug:
But, your bird is probably just confused or something. :D
Once I had a Rouen boy duck that thought he was a girl. He tried quacking, but it sounded like he had a cough. After a while the poor thing gave up and joined the other boys.

Yes, it is fun to add a new chicken every year. It gives me an excuse to spend time with the poultry catalogs and makes going to the fair a mission with a purpose other than gorging on high-fat food.

The Polish hens have the same tuft of feathers on their heads that the cocks do. Only the shorter tail gives away their sex.

As for Fluffbudget, I have great photos of the whole flock having a free-for-all on the lawn and Fluff asleep flat out on his side in the middle of it. If I hadn't seen him/her sleeping with my daughter, I'd have assumed she was dead, I assure you. Since she's a silkie, she has the head-tuft too. Hers has to be trimmed out of her eyes periodically or she runs into things and becomes too paranoid to leave the coop.

She's definitely confused. What threw me was that she didn't lay at all and did all the typical rooster stuff--crowing, mounting hens, trying to herd them around--for two full years. We didn't change anything, just went to the coop one day and found six hand-grenade-sized eggs and something that looked like a pale chicken turd. Bantam eggs are less than a third the size of the heavy-breed brown eggs, so I nearly missed it. Now we have two bantams but only one is laying. I don't know which it is. Yakker spends a lot of time brooding on the eggs everyone else lays, which is a hoot considering the biggest eggs are almost as big as she is. She looks like she's working on her abs on one of those exercise balls! Put three of those under her, and it's all she can do to stay in the nesting box without rolling out. :ROFL:

So male Rouen ducks don't quack? Is that the case for all duck breeds? I know nothing about ducks. I'd love to have some, but we don't have a body of water on the property, just a very tempting one a half-mile away. I can imagine it might be hard to keep a duck home on the farm after he's seen the stream. ;)

Hummingbird
02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Awatkins: Talk about writing under pressure, with your editor just a cage away! ;)

Schoolmarm: Poor Yakker! :ROFL: I bet that's funny to watch!

As far as I know, male ducks don't quack. At least all the kinds I've run into haven't. Instead they make a hissing type noise that wants to quack.

We had a small dug out pond for them, but as soon as the group of males discovered the neighbor's large fish pond, they were taking trips there every morning (The females we kept in a pen) and returned in the afternoon for their feed. After a while we had to pen them up though, the neighbors started catching them for Thanksgiving! Then one day the whole group disappeared and the pen door was open. Apparently ducks taste good. Hrm.
Anyway, as long as you feed them they'll keep coming back. :) Rouens can't fly, so I guess that made it easier to keep them around, plus any other breed that grows up around them won't learn to fly either. For water, I just dug out a pond the size of a small fish pond and let it dry up every now and then so I could clean it out and re-dig it. Ducks like to cave in the sides while they are digging around. ;)

Leva
02-14-2006, 05:08 AM
http://firefox.org/chickens/

I've been developing a line of frizzled marans -- the roos are around eight pounds, and there's just something cool about a eight pound chicken with poodle curls. (And the hens lay terra cotta colored eggs.)

Leva

Fern
02-14-2006, 05:39 AM
We used to have Mallard ducks. They were interesting to watch. There were a couple of drakes and 3 or 4 hens. They would sit on the pool bank and you would see the hens with their heads tucked under a wing, sleeping. One drake would be doing the same thing, while the other stood watch. . . his head moving as he kept watch. After so long, you would notice that drake would be sleeping and the other would be keeping watch.

Then they had a batch of little ones. They would walk around , single file behind the hen. One day she took them into the pond and we couldn't do a thing as we saw them, one by one, being pulled under by turtles. Every last one of them gone within a few minutes.

Albedo of Zero
02-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Pets are the best people.

Ruff (snowdog) weighing in at 120 lbs -a mix of bear, King Kong and Barney the dinosaur

Indy (the orange one) weighing in at 22 lbs -a mix of puma and Kato from the Pink Panther movies -He likes to ambush me and I like to return the favor.

My avatar is a pic of ducks that return to our covered pool every Easter.

D.J.
02-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Albedo, I hope your dog got to come in to defrost! Cute pics!
In addition to my babies pictured in the avatar and my profile, I have ducks and geese I raised from babies. I whistle for them and they all squack and come to the bank to eat. Donald, yes a duck, my first duck, is 8 yrs old. He is the only one who has still made it from the original "litter."
Darryl and Darryl are (were) the second oldest still living, but Darryl had an untimely death. Darryl was trying to kill Darryl and they had always been so close. Donald even got into the mix! I was talking to the vet on my cell while at the pond, and was screaming and very upset over their betrayal. I waded in the water to save Darryl. I took him to the vets' to have him put to sleep. I smelled like pond scum and got some very strange looks with moss in my hair.
He was a mallard. It was quite a scene at the vets. They couldn't find pricing for his care. However, the vet didn't charge me for examining him and having to put him to sleep. When I told a friend about how sweet my vet was, she laughed until she cried and said of course not, he got a free duck dinner on you!

Albedo of Zero
02-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Albedo, I hope your dog got to come in to defrost! Cute pics!
In addition to my babies pictured in the avatar and my profile, I have ducks and geese I raised from babies. I love mastiffs.

Yes the dog comes in, but if anyone wakes up during the night, my dog begs and begs and sometimes even begs to be let out again.

I've had seven ducks at one time: Daffy, Donald, Herb, Dumbquack, Daisy, Doodle, Eggle. They were all those white ducks we used to be able to buy at Easter time. They lived in our pool area for 9 months out of the year and 3 months in our basement. The third year, we gave them to a farm.

At the time they were part of our family, we also had 2 dogs, 2 rabbits, 3 cats, 2 parakeets, an alligator and a tarantula. This was many years ago.

awatkins
02-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Many years ago, I lived across the road from a very large pond. There was a family of ducks there who often visited one of my dogs on the car port where they enjoyed sharing the dog's food. One afternoon while cleaning, I left the back door open. Shortly after, I realized that I was hearing quacking. Very close-by quacking.

I stepped into the hallway just in time to see four ducks cross the threshold into the kitchen. They casually strolled through the house, making all sorts of comments, while I followed behind, trying to shoo them toward the front door. They were very stubborn and refused to leave until they'd toured several rooms!

I can still see them, moseying along, craning their necks to look around, acting like a bunch of tourists. :ROFL:

D.J.
02-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Awatkins, how funny! I would love to have seen that. And about the dog food...mine only eat cheap dog food. We found out with our first batch that once they got old enough to get off of the finely ground "baby food" for ducks, they kept getting into our dogs' food. We even bought lots of different types of grain and put it all out like a buffet and the dog food always won in the taste test. So, we gave up and just buy large bags of cheap dog food with lots of grain in it at Sam's club.
We had a goose named Bubba, who used to tattle on our dog. If our dog was out and our dog would bark at him, Bubba would come to our back door and peck on the glass. When we'd go to the door, Bubba would waddle over and quack at the dog and then look at us like we should do something about it. When we would hear the dog bark we knew we'd be getting a tap-tap on the back door shortly and sure enough...

awatkins
02-15-2006, 03:26 AM
Bubba was smart! How funny. :D