Who here lives with an animal?

Puddle Jumper

This might get some humorous responses.

Anyway, do you live with any animals and if so, what kind?

I live with a plain ol' cat and puppy. I think the cat is mostly Norwegian Forest Cat, the puppy is a pure-bred beagle. The only thing my cat seems to think the puppy is good for is a punching bag.

luv2writestuff

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I live with my cat! I tell you nobody but God loves me more than this cat! : ) (not even my DH) We call the cat "Mike" the cat. He follows me everywhere I go ... except outside (he's a fraidy cat!) but he'll watch me from the door! And, of course, the writing space on my computer desk ... is somehow NOT for writing! Mike the Cat thinks that space is all for HIM!

And if I leave ... it really upsets him. He'll usually leave me a lovely gift of POOP right on my side of the bed! Disgusting! ( I have to remember to shut that door next time I leave!)

Pets are funny! : ) Enjoy! Thanks for sharing your stories!

Blessings,
Debbie

Puddle Jumper

My cat's a fraidy cat too. If I don't come home by a certain time in the evening, it's been reported to me that she wanders around aimlessly meowing. If I come in late, she's there to meet me. And of course she's of the opinion that it is my duty to give her some tuna every night. If I've not done my duty she lets me know by incessant meowing and if I'm on the computer, she'll lift up one paw and pet my elbow as if to say, "Come on, I'm waiting."

CampCreek

Texestentialist
Registered
Reaction score
I live with dogs. Lots and lots of dogs. DH Kenny and I do a bit of rescue since we have the room. Our friends call us "Spicewood's Unofficial Canine, Kitty & Equine Rescue" or SUCKER for short. *snicker*

The main way we rehabilitate a neglected or abused dog is to bring them in the house with us as often as we can. Doing that lets them know they are part of our "pack" and that helps them relax quicker and better, which means they gain weight back faster, heal any injuries sooner and respond better to retraining. It's hell on the carpets though. We've ripped up the living room carpet and will soon have linoleum or wood down. Can't wait 'til there's wood throughout the entire house.

It's hard dealing with the mess, but it's worth it! As I type this, two lab mixes are laying on my bed, relaxing. One of them is a recent rescue. She came to us in horrible condition ~ skin and bones, pregnant, and quite neurotic from being kept on a chain 24/7 for who knows how long. It's only been three months and she's settled in nicely. She refused to get up on the bed for the longest time, or even approach us much at all. She now knows not to get up on the bed unless I tell her she can (after I've made it) and just now settled down from begging for petting by breathing hard in my ear and 'smiling'.
emoteClap.gif
And she's SUCH a GOOD dog! Very well mannered, quiet, already housetrained, and definitely not a counter surfer. Her former owner had no idea what a great dog he had. Too bad, so sad for him. ;)

The puppies are here, too. Oh, boy are they here! Now THERE'S where you get the laughs! They're so cute! What can you say about puppies except how adorable they are?! I've got to get pictures to share with you all.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Two large dogs (husky/australian shephard mix), three cats of questionable origin (I swear one had a bobcat parent if his size is any indication!) and twenty-four Boer/Spanish goats! (they're meat goats, not dairy) :D

ljcblue

Registered
Reaction score
menagerie

current animals include 2 rats and 1 puppy. In the recent past we've also had a bearded dragon. Alas, "Boomerang" is in the great desert in the sky.

:)

PatriciaL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matilijapress.com
Cats, Cats, Cats

I love this post. My life is filled with cats--there are currently 3 and two of them are formerly feral. What a challenge these kitties can present.

Winfield is a white odd-eye normal domestica cat. We call him the Wal Mart Greeter. He loves company--especially people wearing black (black fabric attracts and shows white fur...get it?). He's 11.

We found Max and is siblings living in our woodshed and rescued the three of them. Max is a plush tuxedo cat--only his markings are brown and white instead of black and white. He's quite handsome, actually. He also has the Siamese blue eyes. He's 7 and still a bit of a scardy cat, but boy does he adore me.

Sophie is a 14-month old short-hair tortie. She was found living on the streets and captured when she was about 10 weeks old. She has socialized better than Max has. She is calmer and less stressed than poor Max. In fact, you wouldn't know she came from a feral background except that she dives for cover when a stranger walks in.

I'm currently writing a book of cat stories and it includes Sophie's and Max's stories.

Patricia
www.matilijapress.com
visit my blog-- www.matilijapress.com/publishingblog

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Outside of my kids... 2 dogs and 6 cats! Several were rescued, some given to us willingly, and one cat in particular wandered around our home for three years before she felt safe enough to come in.

We live about ten miles out of town in the sticks so we receive an occasional drop off. There's been more of each that we've taken to shelters, found homes for ourselves and even used the local vet as a black market resource to pass on the unwanted criiters dumped on out doorstep.

CampCreek

Texestentialist
Registered
Reaction score
Pike said:
We live about ten miles out of town in the sticks so we receive an occasional drop off. There's been more of each that we've taken to shelters, found homes for ourselves and even used the local vet as a black market resource to pass on the unwanted criiters dumped on out doorstep.
:ROTF: Same here! What is it about people who think it's just fine to dump a dog or cat out in the country?! Grrrrr...

One of our most beloved dogs is a former dumpee. She has such a personality! She's a little red merle heeler who wants to work so bad. I take her out in the pasture every so often and let her work the cattle a bit. She's as happy as a clam with just that, bless her little heart. When we first got her, she would cower and pee on herself if you even raised your voice to her. We've got her out of that now and did it almost too well ~ she bugs us now wanting attention, barking that little trilly bark heelers have whenever she thinks she needs some more lovin'. We named her Nellie because she's almost a pest about it! :ROTF:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have a spollie. He looks like a border collie but has the brains and water-love of a spaniel--if he wasn't cute he'd be in a lot of trouble.

He is also my best selling stock photo subject (other than the flag): http://tinyurl.com/8opdn

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Josephine Colter said:
:ROTF: Same here! What is it about people who think it's just fine to dump a dog or cat out in the country?! Grrrrr...

One of our most beloved dogs is a former dumpee. She has such a personality! She's a little red merle heeler who wants to work so bad. I take her out in the pasture every so often and let her work the cattle a bit. She's as happy as a clam with just that, bless her little heart. When we first got her, she would cower and pee on herself if you even raised your voice to her. We've got her out of that now and did it almost too well ~ she bugs us now wanting attention, barking that little trilly bark heelers have whenever she thinks she needs some more lovin'. We named her Nellie because she's almost a pest about it! :ROTF:

Hey J.C., I'm in total agreement. The little wandering cat that circled our house has turned out to be one of the most affectionate animals I have. My wife named her Sassy because she used to hiss and swat at us when we pet her. Now, i ball her up and smother her with kisses and she purrs like a motor boat. She had a litter shortly after she moved in and we kept one of the boys. He's lived here all his life and is 100 times more skitish then his mother ever was.

The open country does attract unwanted pets like lottery winners develop relatives. LOL.

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

A cat named Cici who is spoilt-rotten! (like all good pets should be!)

My kids chose her from the animal shelter when she was just a scrawny, little kitten, but now she's the Love of our Life who lives like a Queen!

Reece

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'll weigh in here with 6 horses, 10 chickens, two cats, one cockatoo, one button quail, and Cliff, who doesn't like it when I list him with the animals. I keep telling him I'll take him off the list when he stops leaving his socks on the floor.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live with two cockatail birds, I think I spelled that name wrong though...LOL...

The male is Mario and he is my sons first bird. The second, a female named Peach, was just a baby when we got her and has grown now with Mario at her side. What is cute is when I get one out of the cage (they are handfed) and the other starts a high pitched squawk because they think I'm stealing their mate. They get into little fights in the cage. I see them sitting there kissing and cuddling, then all of a sudden one will peck the other on the head and they start squawking at one another!

Peach has a habit of singing in the morning, while Mario likes to keep quietly and sing in the afternoon sometimes. Sometimes Peach will chase him around the cage and sing to him. He tries to run away but cant.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
We're down to the one cat, Yoghurt. Oatmeal and Pumpkin passed away this year - they were both 16 and we adopted them off a farm where their parents were barn cats.

Yoghurt showed up at our door a couple years later. He was probably around a year old. We ran an ad in the local paper but nobody claimed him (he had a collar so we were pretty sure someone had owned him). He's a light grey cat with black ears and darker grey legs, looks like a siamese mix. Since his adopted sibs are gone he's gotten very possessive of us.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cats are NOT animals -

They're little people with FUR!:box:

hmmmph. Just ask them. They'll tell you.

DanaS

I love this little dog!
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Residing somewhere between my ears in Pennsylvania
Website
home.infionline.net
Living with animals

This is a fun topic and very interesting to read! Thought I'd jump in as well-currently I live with one two legged human animal, two adult westies, one adult scottie, one puppy westie, one part siamese kitty, and one lone fish. I also participate in rescue so the number can increase at various times. They all provide so much love and fun-I don't know what I would do without them (even the two legged one-lol).
Christmas morning is especially fun, as they can't wait to descend the stairs to check their stockings and open all their presents. It is quite funny as they look and hope for more and more gifts to open. Our Scottie apparently felt he didn't get what he wanted and decided to sit with each one of us and help us open our gifts-fortunately he eventually found what he wanted, it was in his stocking. They love to open presents, and it makes the holiday even more special with their obvious excitement.

Thaks for starting this thread-it's fun! Dana

EyesClosed

Registered
Reaction score
I live with my 11 month old puppy, Lucy! She's a Shetland Sheepdog (like a mini-Lassie!) and just adorable. But she does bark a lot! It's kind of ironic, I didn't actually realize how similar the name 'Lucy' was to 'Lassie' until a few months after I'd named her. Funny old world, innit?