PDA

View Full Version : Betas needed for YA contemporary

Becca C.
03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Hello all! I've just finished my latest phase of revisions on my WIP, A BRAVER THING, and it's that time: I need beta readers.

It's a contemporary YA novel with a bit of an alternate-history twist. This is the query summary, which sums it up pretty well:

Falling in love wasn’t on Tristan Tennant’s list of things to do at all-boys boarding school. The relationship is far from easy, though, because Malcolm isn’t just any boy: he’s the Prince of Wales. Between sneaking off to Buckingham Palace on weekends and keeping the media in the dark, dating Prince Malcolm is a full-time job.

Until the day Malcolm is no longer a prince. After the tragic death of his father, Malcolm is King.

If they’re going to stay together, the only option Tristan can see is to stay on the sidelines of Malcolm’s life, loving him only behind closed doors. Malcolm has another, crazier idea -- taking his place in history as the first openly gay monarch. Malcolm’s cousin and heir, Prince Stephen, violently opposes Malcolm’s desires to live honestly. Tristan will help Malcolm in any way he can... but what if the world just isn’t ready for a king who refuses to hide?

Gay boys and alternate universe British monarchy, hooray!

So, my requirements for readers are as follows:

-- big-time YA readers
-- someone who can be reasonably prompt with their turnaround
-- possibly British (I want to make sure my dialogue is authentic and geography passable)
-- I would love to find at least one person who is knowledgable about how the British monarchy works. I've researched the best I can and used artistic license too, but I want to be as accurate as possible.

I don't really need a line critique or anything super, super detailed, more of a big-picture crit focusing on characters, plot, theme, etc. would be amazing. I can take honest opinions, no need to sugarcoat anything.

I'm very willing to return crits, as well, as long as it's YA since that's really where my interests and abilities lie!

Thank you in advance!

Niiicola
03-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Sending you a PM.

Sage
03-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Repped ya!

totopink
03-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Can I ask how many words it is?

eternalised
03-14-2012, 02:08 AM
I would be interested in reading and critiquing your work. I'm an avid YA reader.

Becca C.
03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
It's 76k :) Sorry I forgot that in the OP.

eternalized, I'll pm you.

jennifer williams
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Let me know if you need another beta!