• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Divertir Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Looks like an /POD publisher that started up in 2010. 8 books on Amazon, 3 seem to be written by a staff member, highest sales rank #2,359,188. I had a browse through a few of the books and they seem quite good, the covers less so.

francisbruno

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
The owner went to a few meetings of my writers group and the NH Writers Night Out. He seemed like a nice guy. I know he had an exchange with (I want to say Victoria Strauss, but I may be mistaken) on a forum, but he was up front about what he was doing.

Found it: http://howpublishingreallyworks.com/?p=1217

Good luck with whatever your decision.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
woodtop255:
Divertir Publishing requested a full for my YA manuscript and I was wondering if anyone had any info on them.

It's generally a good idea to research a publisher before you submit to them, rather than afterwards.

I had a look at their website and it seems that in 3 years of operation, they've only published one other YA novel. I'd want to know what the sales figures were like for that book and how they propose to market and sell your book.

Given that it still seems to be a POD publisher, they're probably not going to have a distribution in place to get books into stores so how do they plan to attract readers to the electronic version of your book?

MM

francisbruno

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
This is from memory of a conversation I had with the owner. For "Hurricane" he said the company was donating a percentage of profits to Katrina relief (not sure of the exact charity) and this had garnered some publicity.

Not sure what they would do for you. Although I thought the guy was very personable, I couldn't figure out what value add there was to go through them rather than self-publishing if you chose to go that route.

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
This is from memory of a conversation I had with the owner. For "Hurricane" he said the company was donating a percentage of profits to Katrina relief (not sure of the exact charity) and this had garnered some publicity.

Not sure what they would do for you. Although I thought the guy was very personable, I couldn't figure out what value add there was to go through them rather than self-publishing if you chose to go that route.

That's what I'm finding too with most of the small presses. I just can't find the justification for them taking such a large cut of your sales. Is it better for my career to say I've been traditionally published or simply self-publish and get the better royalty rate?

woodtop255

Heather Topham Wood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorheather.wordpress.com
Looks like an /POD publisher that started up in 2010. 8 books on Amazon, 3 seem to be written by a staff member, highest sales rank #2,359,188. I had a browse through a few of the books and they seem quite good, the covers less so.

The covers can be a turnoff for some of the publishers, can't they? I was considering submitting to this one small press and although the book descriptions sounded good, the covers looked so amateurish I decided against it.

francisbruno

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
Not to go off topic, but you can get a fairly good cover for not too much money. deviantart.com has lots of very good artists.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Since this is an old thread, I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with them. For pitmad on twitter, I got a favourite from them but haven't responded yet.

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
If you submitted a query from #pitmad and did not receive a response, there is a good chance your query is in the hands of a reviewer. From what I heard from Mr. Tupper, he rejected the ones that didn't sound interesting. Also, you are more than welcome to ask about your query through the twitter account. What is your title and I can check for you.

Since this is an old thread, I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with them. For pitmad on twitter, I got a favourite from them but haven't responded yet.

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
We have started the process of re-issuing a few of our covers. Most of the "amateur" ones were submitted and adored by the authors. Why? I have no explanation.

Mr. Tupper didn't want to tell them "no" flat out, but he has since changed his mind.

The covers can be a turnoff for some of the publishers, can't they? I was considering submitting to this one small press and although the book descriptions sounded good, the covers looked so amateurish I decided against it.

authorMAF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authormaf.com
They liked my #Pit2Pub pitch, but I'd like to talk to people who have (recently) published with this press can share their experiences?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. Anyone have any recent experience with this publisher?