PDA

View Full Version : Simply Looking for an Email Pal

Undercover
03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Seriously, I just need a friend...I'm bored with life. I wrote 5 novels to date. Two were published and flunked like a drop-out druggie highschool kid with a pizza zit face that disappeared like my favorite Madonna cd. I have 3 more with an agent and sweating out the forever wait like standing in the never-ending line just to get on the big roller coaster ride in 150 degree heat, yet the line never moves. Anyways, like my daughter always says, "You need friends mom..." which is sad but true.

I write YA. I like burritos and pot stickers (not at the same time, but still.) I watch way too many paranormal shows, so much so I scare myself. I love the water, but am afraid of sharks. I bite my nails sometimes. My eyes are hazel, but more on the green side. And on occasion when I laugh too hard...well you know...

If you're interested, I'm available at your service, free of charge.

Let me know. Thanks.

eternalised
03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
We are soooo much alike. Except for the fact that I'm still in university, and don't have a kid yet, but apart from that...well, we're like long-lost twins.

I read and write YA. I watch so many paranormal shows that I often scare myself, especially when it has to do with ghosts. Ghosts scare me. I love the water, but I'm terrified of sharks. Oh, AND I bite my nails. Sometimes. Most of the times. When I'm stressed.

I'm the most impatient person alive. I've just queried agents for one of my novels and am already waiting for a reply back. With waiting, I mean checking my email every two-three hours. I hate waiting.

We can never have enough writing friends :) Shoot me a PM, and I'll send you my email addy.

Cella
03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
One more reason I :heart: AW...

:):)

Undercover
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey Eternalised, just pmed you. I checked your blog out too. Everything looks amazing!

And you are so totally right Cella, this place is the best!

Anyone else like burritos too? lol

KitCat
03-09-2012, 12:59 AM
pot stickers! *faints from lack of them*

Undercover
03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
pot stickers! *faints from lack of them*

I know. I think it's time to make a call to King's Wok again before the withdrawl sets in.

dragonangel517
03-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Sent you a pm.

Undercover
03-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Sent you a pm.

Thanks! Gonna read and respond asap.

Thanks everyone, you guys made my day! ;)

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Anyone else like burritos too? lol

Does anyone NOT like burritos? I mean, seriously. Because there are vegetarian and even vegan ones now. I think it's one of the universal laws; everyone MUST like burritos.

Undercover
03-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Does anyone NOT like burritos? I mean, seriously. Because there are vegetarian and even vegan ones now. I think it's one of the universal laws; everyone MUST like burritos.

Haha! I think because they're so versatile. There's even breakfast burritos so you can have them in the morning too! Whoever thought of that was pure genius if you ask me.

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Haha! I think because they're so versatile. There's even breakfast burritos so you can have them in the morning too! Whoever thought of that was pure genius if you ask me.

ITA. The burrito is the cure all for the modern generation (well, in so far as food goes...). I want one now actually, but alas, no ingredients in the house and I'm too tired to go to the supermarket. So instead I'm 'a just sit here and complain. btw finished your 5th book, you say? Kudos to you, Sir! I mean, Ma'am. Errr...Sir? Ma'am? Err... I get confused between men and women sometimes... normally when I'm lacking in caffeine. I start seeing things when the caffeine effect wears off... *shifty eyes*Like, the cat just turned into a dog. Or was it always a dog? I don't remember, waaaah!! (Sorry, caffeine addict on a come down, not good...)

Undercover
03-09-2012, 02:02 AM
ITA. The burrito is the cure all for the modern generation (well, in so far as food goes...). I want one now actually, but alas, no ingredients in the house and I'm too tired to go to the supermarket. So instead I'm 'a just sit here and complain. btw finished your 5th book, you say? Kudos to you, Sir! I mean, Ma'am. I get confused between men and women sometimes... normally when I'm lacking in caffeine. I start seeing things when the caffeine effect wears off... *shifty eyes*Like, the cat just turned into a dog. Or was it always a dog? I don't remember, waaaah!! (Sorry, caffeine addict on a come down, not good...)

Haha, so true. You know there are even Mexican places that deliver? Seriously, you don't even have to have ingredients or have to go anywhere! I bet there's one by you too.

Thanks for the support about the novel thing. But seriously, I think I am writing quantity vs. quality. I'm hoping by my 100th book, I'll at least have one good one. lol

Maryn
03-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Geez, people, get a room!

Maryn, pleased to see people find their kindred spirits here

Undercover
03-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Geez, people, get a room!

Maryn, pleased to see people find their kindred spirits here

I actually made a room in the super high tech hidden room thing. Anyone's welcome. Feel free to visit me there, the key is under the mat, I mean in my sig line. Hope to see you all there!

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the support about the novel thing. But seriously, I think I am writing quantity vs. quality. I'm hoping by my 100th book, I'll at least have one good one. lol

I'd offer to give your novels a look but YA doesn't interest me. No idea how many words each of your novels were (I'm guessing 60k+), still, 5 novels is impressive. It may not be what you yourself consider good quality, but you've got passion and an active imagination. Anyhoo, you have a PM :)

Undercover
03-09-2012, 02:26 AM
They all range in the 50K+ word count. I'm grateful to have an agent too, but that doesn't mean I'll connect with a publisher.

Glad I can still impress someone...and I am not even wearing my spidey suit. haha!

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 03:36 AM
At least you are published though, and have an agent. It's clear people do have faith in you :) I probably wasn't clear enough in my PM (another silly habit of mine; I end up omitting lots of info because I understand it so I assume everyone else would... *headdesk*). What I meant was some people write one good novel that does well (either because it is well written or marketed well or both), and everything else after that is frankly mediocre but sells because it's marketed to its maximum. Poor marketing is responsible for a lot of so called 'failures'.

Undercover
03-09-2012, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I'm grateful I got this far. How I did it, I don't know. It wasn't like I came out of the womb and started writing early in life. I just started extensively about 5 years ago with novel writing. My writing first began when I was diagnosed Bipolar 8 years ago when the therapist said it would be a good coping skill. Anyways, I showed my first poem to a few people and they said submit it, so I did. Then I was addicted and it just grew from there.

It marvels me that some people have been at it with their writing for many MANY more years than me and it's hard to see on the boards their still struggling. But I think tenacity and determination plays are large part on the publishing process too. I see many wonderful writers here but don't push the issue of getting published. It's who reads what too. You (in general speaking) just have to keep forging through until you connect on the right people to help you along the way.

Okay...unraveling too much. lol

Anybody call for Chinese yet?

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Not unravelling at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. What you're saying makes absolute sense.

I think getting published is dependent on so many factors really. Whether it be competency in writing, ability to network, being in the right place at the right time, drive and tencity (or lack of them), or anything else.

Btw it's very brave of you to mention the bipolar thing in public, and do so unashamedly. That takes guts.

Undercover
03-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Btw it's very brave of you to mention the bipolar thing in public, and do so unashamedly. That takes guts.

Thanks, it's just like any other chronic disease, it's something I have to live with everyday. It's a part of me, but it doesn't define who I am. For a long time I was in denial about it, but that just made things worse for me. So I embraced the fact that I have a mental illness.

I see a lot of topics here on the boards and everyone has their own views on it. I just think it's stereotyped still. Seems like more then half of murderers (in books, movies and even in real life)have a mental illness. Gives an explanation why they are the way they are, but again that's no excuse to kill.

I just don't like it when writers have no idea what a mentally ill person really goes through and tries to portray one in their book or slap the mental illness card on their characters for motives in mystery and thriller novels.

That's why I choose to write novels with mentally ill MC's that struggle through life, but make it through it all.

Okay, getting off my soap box now...gonna shut up and eat my burrito.

llamafarmer
03-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks, it's just like any other chronic disease, it's something I have to live with everyday. It's a part of me, but it doesn't define who I am. For a long time I was in denial about it, but that just made things worse for me. So I embraced the fact that I have a mental illness.

IMHO that's the only way to be (or to aspire to be). Although being in denial is a perfectly normal reaction, there comes a time when you realise it's just not conducive. When you have a mental illness/ disability / mental illness or disability resulting from a life changing event, you just wish life could return to how it was before (unless it's something you've lived with your entire life). Accepting yourself for who and what you are is one of the hardest things and requires immense strength, and that takes time and hard work. So yes, kudos to you for reaching that point :).

I just think it's stereotyped still. Seems like more then half of murderers (in books, movies and even in real life)have a mental illness. Gives an explanation why they are the way they are, but again that's no excuse to kill.

I just don't like it when writers have no idea what a mentally ill person really goes through and tries to portray one in their book or slap the mental illness card on their characters for motives in mystery and thriller novels.

I haven't encountered many fictional mentally ill characters, but I see what you're saying. Stereotypes are bandied around enough in real life and often people think they have ---insert psychological condition here--- sussed, when in fact they're just going on what they know from popular belief.

That's why I choose to write novels with mentally ill MC's that struggle through life, but make it through it all.

Okay, getting off my soap box now...gonna shut up and eat my burrito.

You make a very valid point though, soap box or no. There need to be more positive representations of mental illness in fiction.

Undercover
03-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your support llamafarmer, glad you agree.

Just wanted to add, anyone who comes by is very welcome. Like I said, I am always looking for a friend and or pen pal. You can never have enough in life.

You're welcome to join this discussion here too, burritos and pot stickers and everything. I also have a thread started (in sig line) in case anyone wants to just get silly, kill time. I'm all up for it.

If anyone's game, let me know. I'm online A LOT and respond pretty quickly too. Thanks!

Shadow_Ferret
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
My eyes are hazel too. I hate that. "what color are your eyes?" Hazel. "what color is that?" I don't know! That's the color I was told and I've blindly accepted it all my life!

What's a potsticker?

Undercover
03-10-2012, 12:23 AM
My eyes are hazel too. I hate that. "what color are your eyes?" Hazel. "what color is that?" I don't know! That's the color I was told and I've blindly accepted it all my life!

What's a potsticker?

OMG! I know! All my life I've questioned my eye color. Hazel can be SO many different colors. It can be brownish, yellowish, greenish,grayish,blueish....it's a mix of so many different kinds. I always hated that too! When my husband and I first met, he thought they were blue. It's like a green-blue with bits of brown on the ends and yellow in the middle. I used to wear emerald green contacts just to make them more definite.

Pot stickers is a Chinese appetizer with meat and a juicy outer layer of noodle or something...haha...I don't even know what they actually put in it, but I'll eat it anyways. LOL

I saw on a food show in China they eat exotic foods like seahorses and eel. I don't think I can ever eat something like that.

eternalised
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
*does the burrito dance*

Just wanted to tell you that I'll shoot you an email asap, but I have a VERY busy day ahead of me. Work, work, work!

LAgrunion
03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, agented and published. I'm impressed. I don't feel quite worthy talking to published authors.

A good burrito can be very satisfying. I prefer it fried as a chimichanga. Not very healthy, but super tasty! In either case, I feel that salsa is really the most important ingredient. With good salsa, even a mediocre burrito can taste good. I prefer fresh over the jarred variety.

When I get motivated, I'd like to make salsa myself. Although I like my stuff, I can never get it to taste quite as good as some restaurants'.

Potstickers (properly fried so that it has that browned, slightly burnt flavor) are also super delicious.

Undercover
03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks Eternalised, whenever you can...have a good day while you work, work, work...whistle while you do it too. hehe

Hey LAgrunion, oh it's really no big deal about the agent/published thing. I really haven't connected on a place or someone worthy enough to plaster it all in my signature line. It's a bit disappointing how the publishing thing was a dud for me. I am hoping my agent will help me get a better one. But even then I might not connect. It's super hard, but I think you already know that.

Salsa, don't get me started. Chips and salsa are like fries and ketchup for me. It would be interesting to hear your recipe. Care to tell us?

LAgrunion
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't really have a recipe. I just kind of wing it. A more holistic approach unconcerned with petty details... Probably just my way of rationalizing my laziness.

I just kind of throw in various amounts of: fresh tomato, cilantro, garlic, onion, jalapeno pepper, black/white pepper, salt, lime juice, some plain stewed tomato (from can). I don't measure anything. I just kind of throw in things and eat it until it tastes right. That lack of consistency probably explains why every time it comes out different.

Sometimes when I get salsa that I really love, I can basically eat it like cold soup/salad. Even when I eat chips and salsa, I feel like I'm really eating salsa with chips as condiment.

Undercover
03-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I only knew of a few things that salsa consists of. I tried making it before and it wasn't that good. Oh, well...lol

Talking about consistency, I cook a lot that way too. I mean with everything. I never measure either so it's always different. My son complains about that sometimes. I'm like, "Well, if it still tastes good, just eat it." haha...anyways I am not much of a cook. I basically have a limited menu of what I make. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad cook, I'm just not an excellent type of cook either.

Baking is another deal, I can't make brownies for the life of me. Even if I read and follow the damn instructions too. I just think they have way too many brands and types to choose from. Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker are about the best.

Can you tell 90% of my mind consists of thinking about food? haha