PDA

View Full Version : The times of our lives...

KellyAssauer
03-08-2012, 07:50 PM
A conversation the other day got me thinking about 'major news stories' and how they might influence who we are.

I know people who remember exactly what they were doing when they heard about the Kennedy Shooting,
others that first moon walk...or Nixon leaving the White House in a helicopter,
or the Challenger disaster, Lady Diana, 911, or, or, or...

So which 'big news stories' do you relate to as a 'part' of who you are?

Jehhillenberg
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
9/11...though it would be years later that I actually comprehend the gravity of that situation/event. Oh and the 2008 presidential election.

Wicked
03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
The 1983 suicide bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut. I was ten years old and sitting on the floor of my living room, watching the coverage on TV. It left a lasting impression.

quickWit
03-08-2012, 08:49 PM
In no particular order -

Iran hostage crisis
Reagan assassination attempt
Death of John Lennon
Challenger
Lockerbie
OJ chase
OJ verdict riots
9/11

swachski
03-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I remember all of the above as well. For some reason the Challenger and Columbia disasters remain strong in my memories, maybe because space travel is supposed to be positive and uplifting, then witnessing the tragedies was so sobering.

And of course, 9/11 will always be seared into my mind. A particular memory is how people's sense of patriotism skyrocketed. U.S. flags were flying in front of everyone's houses for months afterward. I thought to myself, "maybe this will shake up the country's lethargy regarding our global dominance and mindless consumerism." Then our fearless leader commanded that we get back to "business as usual" and that's just what we did.

Hurricane Katrina was also a tragic eye opener of the inequalities among our society's classes. Can you imagine the horrors the people in the Superdome had to endure? In the richest country in the world??

Lavern08
03-08-2012, 11:20 PM
The 1983 suicide bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut...

^ I lost a friend (Ricky Baynard, USMC) - He had just married my girlfriend about nine months before - His son never got to know him. :cry:

* The killing of JFK, MLK and RFK (felt like kicks in the gut)
* Marvin Gaye and Minnie Riperton's death hit me hard (lurved their music)
* 9-11 (most heart-wrenching of all) http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

regdog
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM
New stories that I remember

Tenerife runway airplane accident-we flew a lot and it was terrifying to think planes on a runway would go right into each other

Deregulation of the Airlines-my mother worked for the airlines.

Busing-Massachusetts-I was too young to understand why people were furious over kids being bused to school.

The MGM Grand fire Las Vegas-I was horrified that people chose to jump knowing they would die

Iran Hostage Crisis

AIDS

Shooting down of Korean Airliner Flight 007

Lockerbie

9/11

Christmas Eve Tsunami 2004

Australian Fires

Japan Earthquake/Tsunami

MaryMumsy
03-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm old, so pretty much all of the above. One no one has mentioned is Oklahoma City. It was a couple of days after tax filing, so I slept in. My parents were here, and they and hubby were watching the news when I came out of the bedroom. They were showing the front of the building, gone, and debris everywhere. I thought it was somewhere in the Middle East. Shocking to me because it was middle America, and done by Americans.

MM

kayleamay
03-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Most of the above but adding the eruption fo Mt. St. Helens. I grew up in Washington and we could see the top of the mountain from our house. I was eight. We watched it send up steam and ash plumes for months. Then I remember waking up to a red sky and grey earth. It was raining ash.

Gretad08
03-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Princess Diana's death. I was a freshman in high school.

9/11, just like others, this one is the one I think about, and still have to toss from my mind, because it's such a disturbing memory.

regdog
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm old, so pretty much all of the above. One no one has mentioned is Oklahoma City. It was a couple of days after tax filing, so I slept in. My parents were here, and they and hubby were watching the news when I came out of the bedroom. They were showing the front of the building, gone, and debris everywhere. I thought it was somewhere in the Middle East. Shocking to me because it was middle America, and done by Americans.

MM

Most of the above but adding the eruption fo Mt. St. Helens. I grew up in Washington and we could see the top of the mountain from our house. I was eight. We watched it send up steam and ash plumes for months. Then I remember waking up to a red sky and grey earth. It was raining ash.

Can't believe I didn't think of these. But damn, I remember them.

kayleamay
03-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I also have to add the Berlin wall in 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsdDb7KDkg

Stew21
03-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes to many of these (particularly Challenger, Reagan Assassination attempt, 911 - of course, fall of the Berlin Wall), but will add Tiananmen Square massacre.

mirandashell
03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
The release of Nelson Mandela.
The fall of the Berlin Wall.
The Birmingham pub bombings
The Manchester bombing
England beating Germany 5-0
The day Maggie Thatcher resigned
The Miners Strike

Chiron
03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
I was at Subway and I heard over the radio that a building went down on 9/11 and I turned to my friend and asked, "Are we at war?"

The first siege of Fallujah. Was the first time I saw breaking news footage of an actual battle and I had a brother there. That was a tense couple of days.

mirandashell
03-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Oh yeah, you just reminded me. The SAS beseiging the Iranian Embassy. That was live on TV. Only the outside though.

kayleamay
03-09-2012, 12:32 AM
The 2004 World Series. My dad cried with joy and made me burn my Yankees cap.

mirandashell
03-09-2012, 12:37 AM
The sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise. That broke on live TV as well.

Also the Hillsborough disaster and the Bradford FC fire.

Mr Flibble
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
England beating Germany 5-0

Lawks, I remember that - we could hear the cheering at the pub from the other end of the road.

The Harrods bombing and all the others.
The SAS storming the Iran embassy
The shooting of Yvonne Fletcher
7/7 - my husband was supposed to be on one of those trains and it was purest fluke he wasn't.
King's Cross fire
Hillsborough.
Clapham Junction disaster - again, my husband was actually on that train - he often fell asleep and missed his stop, getting off at Clapham and going back, but that day he stayed awake. He worked for BR at the time too, and had to go to the crash site.

KellyAssauer
03-09-2012, 03:04 AM
There are good/amazing things too!

Real Quiet looses Belmont (and triple crown) by a headbob...
Lance Armstrong (any year!)
1996 Olympics & Kerri Strug
Michael Schumacher's 2004 F1 Championship season
Jenson Button's, Lewis Hamilton's...

Mark Webber
- but he hasn't won a world championship
Who cares! ;)

Mr Flibble
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
England winning the rugby World CUp - at near end of time, a draw. FIL turns off telly as he has heart problems and can't take it. Turns it in twenty minutes later thinking it'll be over. Still going, and he has to sit down

We were jumping up and down and shouting at the telly like loonies.

Next day, everyone was singing 'Swing low, sweet chariot....'

mirandashell
03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Ireland beating Italy in World Cup.... 94, I think.

The Ray Houghton goal. I was in a pub watching it and just stood there with my mouth open.

He doubled my wages as well. I had a bet on Ireland to win. Everyone else thought I was a nut.

Snowball2695
03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
9/11.
I remember my mom checking me out of school and hugging me super tight. It wasn't until the next day that she told me what had happened.
I was only 5, yet I still remember that very clearly.

quickWit
03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
1980 US Hockey Team winning gold

Cella
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
the Columbine shootings and 9/11 are pretty much the only ones that I can recall leaving a lasting impression, but I don't watch the new all that much...

so sad, all of them.

CDaniel
03-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Cody Ole setting the arena record at the NFR.
The first Gulf War. It was on the news everynight.
The Oklahoma bombing.
The winter of 97