PDA

View Full Version : Physical act to make someone inhale quickly?

Captcha
03-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm writing a futuristic story in which characters are engaged in espionage and carry suicide pills with them at all times. The pills are actually tiny glass caplets that can be wedged in behind the person's teeth; if accidentally swallowed, there's no problem but if the person bites the caplet (to break it) and then inhales the fumes, they die instantly.

So, you'll be happy to hear that I'm not asking you to identify the substance in the caplets - I can fudge that. But I'd like one of my characters to use the caplet for murder rather than suicide. He's struggling with the enemy, holds the caplet near the enemy's mouth or nose, and holds his own breath while causing the enemy to gasp in the fumes.

Is there something my character can do that would cause the enemy to gasp? Most of the attacks I can think of would drive air OUT of the enemy, but then it wouldn't be easy to judge when he'd be able to gasp IN again.

Any thoughts?

alleycat
03-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Well, if someone can't breath for even a short time, they will automatic inhale when they can. If the character could be choked for a minute and then the choke released, that would probably work.

Try holding your breath for a minute or two.

thothguard51
03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
A punch in the stomach would drive air out, but then the person would need to inhale quickly afterwards to regain their composure.

Captcha
03-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Okay, I can try to work with that...

Thanks!

Spy_on_the_Inside
03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Hiccups are actually a series of deep inhales because a person hasn't gotten enough air. My mother would always tell us kids if we had the hiccups, to take ten deep breaths.

My dad on the other hand, would say he would give us $50 if we could hiccup one more time. That almost seemed to work better.

Drachen Jager
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I'd think breathing out would be more effective than holding his breath.

As for a sharp intake of breath, nothing beats a quick shot to the nads.

Captcha
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd think breathing out would be more effective than holding his breath.

As for a sharp intake of breath, nothing beats a quick shot to the nads.

I was wondering about the nads option. There's a definite gasp associated with it? I am personally nad-less, and I'm familiar with some of the male reactions, but not all of them...

BillWriter
03-07-2012, 07:47 PM
You can have them looking for clues for some reason and have the caplet in his hand. Pick up something to investigate and smell it. Then ask the other person to smell it and break the caplet when they inhale.

"Hey does this smell like thermite to you?" he said.

"No....aahhh"

Bill

randi.lee
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Jab 'em in the throat