Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Merri on this one. By all means tag books you've read but don't ask people to tag your books without reading them. It's inappropriate and possibly deceptive.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What's the point in tagging anyway? My books are often tagged with other authors names and stuff that doesn't even apply to the book.

Someone once told me that some people will tag you with an authors name if they think you write like them. Is this true?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
What's the point in tagging anyway? My books are often tagged with other authors names and stuff that doesn't even apply to the book.

Someone once told me that some people will tag you with an authors name if they think you write like them. Is this true?

I believe it is supposed to increase the chances of your book being among the top matches when people search the Amazon site. The more duplicate tags a book has, the higher up in the matching chain it goes.

Example: I write in the romance genre. If I tag my book as romance, it is one among thousands of romance books and is very likely at the bottom of any searches for "romance." One of my trilogies takes place in a coffee shop. If someone were to search for "romance" and "coffee," my book might be closer to the top because I have both tags on my books. If I had hundreds of duplicate tags, presumably my books would show up closer to the top of the listings for those searches.

Just FYI, I don't have hundreds of duplicate tags so the scenario above is completely hypothetical.

ETA: I did a search for romance and coffee and one of the books in my trilogy came up as the number one match, not that anyone will be likely to make such a specific search, just sayin'.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Tags are used in search and can be very helpful especially for niche themes. But I always "vote down" anything off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.