When's it time to give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KookyKat

Registered
Reaction score
I got a very positive report from a highly respected editor here in the UK (it’s quite usual for UK writers to get editorial reports before submitting to agents if they can afford it – just ;-). This editor is known for being quite harsh but she loved it, so much so she passed it onto an agent. But that agent came back saying while she loved many elements of the novel (same elements the editor pointed out), she didn’t quite connect with the characters or love it enough to take me on. However, she’s sent it to a colleague who deals with more commercial lit who might think differently. So I made some tweaks and sent out to a bunch more agents anyway because I don’t want to rely on this one agent. I had an instant requests for a full from a highly respected agent. I just got a rejection from her (she read it quickly, over the weekend) with an invitation to re-submit. This agent pointed out different issues the editor and other agent didn’t (dialogue a bit stilted, narrative needs to be tied down to one main story). I agree with some of what she says so while waiting for responses from other agents, will revise. However – she only had 2 paragraphs worth of suggestions so not extensive so am wondering whether they’d really make the difference between ‘love’ and ‘not love’.

But my question is: when do I accept this book is a dud? I got an agent so quickly with my first novel (it didn’t work out due to a lack of communication on his part). My last book, while getting lots of requests for fulls, failed to get me an agent. No-one could get past 3 chapters. Now I’m onto Book 3, the response seems a little better but I’m so worried it’ll be the same old story – no agent at the end of the day. I can just feel it in my gut.

On how many rejected fulls should I start fearing the worse again? I know this isn’t an exact science but starting to fear the worst again. Been through so much this year and thinking I’m wasting my time with all this. Anyone had fulls rejected to then land an agent? (god, I sound so negative! Can't help it though, getting deja vu)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten rejected more times than I can count. I finally got accepted for a couple of e-books--you have to start somewhere--and I may be landing an agent this year. If I don't, I don't, but I'll keep trying. Sure it's discouraging for you and everyone else and many is the time I wanted to give up.

However, something inside me said no. It isn't always your story--although you should be looking at what the agent/editor/whoever critiqued it said--sometimes it's the market, the way it sounds to said agent, who it's intended for, etc. etc. etc.

One codicil, though, if you can't rework the book to your agent's or your satisfaction, then perhaps you should shelve it for a while until your 'muse' kicks in and lets you know what to write.

Hope this helps a little. If you're talented enough to land an agent then you're talented enough to write and write something good. My two yen....

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Revise and resubmit. Have your betas check your revision. Work on the next book while you wait. Sometimes two paragraphs point to larger issues. Revise, but consider how those revisions effect the rest of the story. They may be bigger than you think. Meanwhile, congratulate yourself on the rejection being two steps up from a form letter- neither not for me personally nor not for me because, but send something else. No manuscript that gets a revise and resub response is a dud, so I'd say don't accept that until you can't find another agent to send to and no one is giving you feedback for you agree with.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You are getting some very strong responses to this manuscript. I would keep sending it out (once you've done the revisions that chime with you)until you run out of agents.
And yes, I had plenty of rejected fulls before I got an agent.

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
Don't give up!! You sound like you're really close.

I also have a tendency to be very negative and non-optimistic. I got 29 rejections and 1 partial request on my first novel and gave up there. I just felt it wasn't 'the one', and started a new book. When querying my second novel I received 15 rejections in a row and got that horrible feeling that it was all happening again--I'd worked so hard on my book and was going to get nowhere with it.

But then all of a sudden the fulls started rolling in. Half of the full-requesters ended up rejecting it, but I got a few offerees too. A total of 40 rejections and 9 positive responses on the second novel. SEE! It only takes one! This business is so subjective.

Chin up :)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It really doesn't sound like your book "is a dud". Not with the responses you're getting. It seems that the book is good, and almost but not quite 'there', yet. So, I'm going with the rest of the group--keep working at it.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Got requested a full so quickly? This is honestly not a dud and do not give up yet.

If you want to know what a real dud is, take mine for example:
24 queries.
0 Requests for partials/fulls.
THAT is a dud.

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
DUDE. If only I could get a request for a full... you're lucky. -_- Getting even one request is awesome. I feel like you're gloating right now lol XD.
But seriously, if you give up, then you're wasting good materials for future readers to read... if only...I could get responses like that xD.. For novels, I haven't even gotten one published, not one agent, and not a request for a full. (probably because I'm bad at query letters) but besides the point, if I were in your position, I would be make MANY different versions based on the agent suggestions, and even consider rewriting the entire novel...

Don't fret over a rewrite. I rewrote my novel almost 8 times...

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Never! Never give up on a dream. If you do there is ZERO chance of it becoming a reality.

Take the good, take the bad, learn, grow, review, revise, re-submit.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
@alvin123
I understand your situation on so many levels... Lol.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
If you believe in your work, I say don't give up until you exhaust the agent pool for your genre.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Check out Pisarz thread in this forum. it's an old one - relevant coz she just landed a pretty big fish (agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.