Appropriate Jobs

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP, I've been trying to brainstorm occupations for my MC and his significant other that are related to their fields and pay little. One has a major in political science (focus on international relations) and a minor in English (creative writing). The SO has a major in graphic design. Both are mid-20s and lacking in experience.

Economically, I'd like them to be able to afford a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a medium-sized city, or something grungy in a larger one. They're not necessarily starving, but they can only splurge rarely due to lack of money and work.

Hope the question made sense, and thank you all for reading.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Graphic designer, especially if it's early in their career.

International relations and writing might get someone a job at a help desk.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Why not some kind of small foundation? His PoliSci got him involved in some small local or even state issue, she started helping, got hooked, and the foundation struggles, but they get by.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Places like Home Depot have departments for kitchen design. She could work at a simple place like that doing interior design while she makes her way through school. Figure 40 hours a week at 8 at hour is $320 a week after taxes maybe somewhere around $280.

As for the MC a journalist is the only thing I could think of as well.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, thank you all for your suggestions; they've all been very helpful. I decided that the MC works for a non-profit that helps at-risk teens stay in school and does tutoring on the side. The female MC occasionally works with the foundation, specifically helping budding artists and preparing them for college. She occasionally does interior design for small businesses and commissions.

Again, thank you all!