Has anybody here ever written...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...an autobiographical account of a difficult life experience?

-Was it article or book length?

-What format did it take; was it a straightforward, chronological accounting, or was it more like 'snapshots' interwoven into a non-fiction book or article? Or maybe something else--like a letter to your child?

-was it difficult to write?

-why did you write it?

-did you want and find a market for it?

-what would compel you to read someone else's life experience story?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Was it article or book length?

Article

-What format did it take; was it a straightforward, chronological accounting, or was it more like 'snapshots' interwoven into a non-fiction book or article? Or maybe something else--like a letter to your child?

Narrative. Posted it on Beliefnet.com a few years ago, in response to other members asking me for all the details of my convent history I was willing to give.

Definitely.

-why did you write it?

See above.

No. I doubt I'll ever write the convent book. Too many bad memories suppressed, too many similar books out there. I tried to read Joan Chittister's novitiate book (what a great woman!) and it triggered flashbacks something fierce. Couldn't finish it.

If I was truly, fanatically interested in a person, maybe. But as for authors, I prefer to read what they've written rather than what someone's written about them.

- the Lily

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Yes, several times. It seems the more traumatic the life experience, the easier it was to sell the article or devotional.

One was my contribution for "Stories of Strength." Another was a story about a childhood bully problem,which I sold twice (2 different anthologies.)

I enjoy reading other's true stories as well, especially if they can tie them to a Bible verse or idea. I don't read full length biographies, though, just the shorter pieces.

I can recommend this site for anyone seeking short, anthology-type markets:
Anthologies On Line

Puddle Jumper

pb10220 said:
...an autobiographical account of a difficult life experience?

-Was it article or book length?

-why did you write it?

"For me the grief is still too near." At least the first thing that pops to mind.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I have done that with devotional/essays, and sold them to anthologies. It's funny, the harder it is to retell the story the quicker it gets published. With this you do run into your friends and family recognizing themselves in your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.