What is "contemporary commercial narrative"

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I'm currently querying agents and trying to find those who are interested in the genre of my novel. (The genre is a little hard to pin-point; romance is probably the closest, though it is also a family drama and, unlike most romances, is written equally from the perspective of the male and female characters - in third person.) I've come across the term "contemporary commercial narrative" and must admit I have no idea what this means. What sort of genere is "contemporary commercial narrative"? Thank you!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like Commercial Fiction to me, but I'd have to read it to be sure.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it's commercial fiction set in our time. But if you think that romance is closest to your book's genre, then I'd go with romance.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's a non-paranormal story set in the present with a strong commercial hook. I'd caution against using "narrative" for the same reason you don't want to use "fiction novel". If it's a novel, then it's a narrative - you're telling a story. You don't need to be redundant. "Commerical Novel" or "Commercial fiction" is enough (provided you don't say "commercial fiction novel")