PDA

View Full Version : A better work-around the Final Draft 8 Redraw bug?

Mac H.
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm using Final Draft 8 on a Windows 7 PC with a monitor in portrait mode.

(This, BTW, is really handy for documents that are basically for printing out - the entire page fits on the screen - and is even magnified slightly. Once you start doing it you'll never go back..)

Anyway, FD8 has started being particularly buggy - I have no idea what started it. It decides the good ol' redraw bug is back - it doesn't like redrawing anything beyond about Pixel 840 vertically.

Why? I don't know.

Here's an example of what the screen looks like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/800207/TempLink/FinalDraft_8_RedrawBug.jpg

Note that is just from a blank file - no script, nothing.

Has anyone else had a recent problem - perhaps due to some Windows update?

(The latest version (Final Draft 8) uses a drawing engine that was deprecated over 5 years ago .. so it had to break tragically some time. Perhaps this is the time?)

Mac

Mac H.
03-08-2012, 03:20 AM
I've found the problem.

It appears to be a bug in the drawing calculation.

It happens when you have 2 screens on your computer - one taller than the other.

It seems that Final Draft 8 uses the size of the primary screen (the one with the Windows task bar on it) to calculate how much needs redrawing.

So if you have a short primary screen - but you are using Final Draft 8 on your taller second screen then it may not redraw correctly. This isn't terribly surprising - even the latest Final Draft 8 is apparently using NSQuickDrawView - which was deprecated about 7 years ago !

You can work around it by moving the Windows Taskbar to the same screen that you are using Final Draft on.

Mac