• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Writing...Friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Hello! I wasn't really sure to call the kind of person I'm looking for. It's not exactly a beta or a buddy...

Anyway, what I'm really seeking is someone to chat with on a regular (or semi-regular) basis (via, say, Skype) about writing and such and someone I can send some excerpts or short work to for improvement and critique when I'm stuck or think a piece needs a new set of eyes.

This isn't a "edit my 100k manuscript request" or anything. Basically, I'm just looking for a new writer friend interested in talking about writing and giving me some feedback on occasion. And, of course, I'll give you feedback, too. =)

It also doesn't need to be a formal thing. I have my Skype linked to my profile here, so if want to chat me up sometime, feel free. I'm just interested in having some general discussion about my ideas, others' ideas, and ways to improve because I don't really have anyone to talk to out in the real world (not many writers within walking distance of me, I'm afraid).

If you're interested, just message me (here or on Skype).

Last edited:

Garriga

Registered
Reaction score
I want someone to tell me if I have potential, or if I am wasting life away in front of a computer screen. I could live with out ever being published. For me, it is all about style.

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested, because I'm looking for the same kind of person. Sometimes it's quite hard when you are just working on your own and there's no other person there to help and when you ask close friends they are not interested or can't really help because they are not objective enough...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so true, Kamyara. Either they somehow never find/make time to read it, or they tell you it's good because they think that's what you need to hear.

Not helpful at all.

What I find helpful is feedback from people who read in my genre. Often, but not always, the people who are willing to give feedback also write in that genre.

I'm in a face-to-face critique group which is genre-focused, and I get criticism online as well. I hope everybody seeking that sort of things manages to connect.

Maryn, crossing her fingers in everybody's behalf

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I want someone to tell me if I have potential, or if I am wasting life away in front of a computer screen. I could live with out ever being published. For me, it is all about style.

I don't believe you can look at anyone's writing and predict that author's future. I've now hit certain milestones that confirm my writing is at least going in the right direction, but I don't see how anyone could've looked into the abyss of my old stuff and said, "Yeah, this person totally has potential. I see many full manuscript requests in her future."

Neither do I believe that God put me on earth with a note that said, "Oh, and by the way, if you don't publish a novel, you wasted your life."

I think it's less about telling yourself your writing is good or even potentially good and more about telling yourself that you are a motivated, passionate, and hopelessly stubborn writer who's going to work at your craft until it is good, no matter what stage it's at now.

Best of luck to both of you. Oh, and here's a little article on author attitude that was a nice motivation for me:
http://hollylisle.com/how-to-tell-who-wont-make-it-in-writing-and-how-not-to-be-that-writer/

Last edited:

llamafarmer

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and here's a little article on author attitude that was a nice motivation for me:
http://hollylisle.com/how-to-tell-who-wont-make-it-in-writing-and-how-not-to-be-that-writer/

Ahhh, where has that website been all my life?! Thanks for that :)

Btw I agree in that motivation and passion are key, irrespective of what anyone else says about your writing. And growing a thick skin is invaluable, because if you ask for honest appraisals then be prepared for someone to tell you that your writing sucks (or something akin to that).

I'm seeking the same thing, but not only is it damn hard to find (this isn't the first forum in which I've posted ads), it seems (from my experience at least) that many if not most people want a quid-pro-quo arrangement. If that's what you want to do then make a point of stating it. </br> I'm sure one of the reasons I've had so few takers is because I don't feel confident (yet) in reciprocating crits or even general feedback on the kind of scale that I would find acceptable. For example I would hope that someone could give me thorough feedback for each 2,5k piece I sent them (I don't know, say about 500+ words), but I doubt I could muster the same quality and quantity for their work. When I read people's work, I have no idea why but I can't actually think of what to say beyond liking it, disliking it, or being indifferent to it. Simply nothing springs to mind, and when it does it feels poorly constructed or unhelpful. It frustrates the hell out of me.</br> In a nutshell, only be prepared to recieve what you can give, and highlight this so that no potential writing buddy gets the wrong idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.