Khmer (Cambodian) baby names in the 1950's

llamafarmer

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these? There's lots of general lists and forum discussions of Khmer names and their meanings, but apparently nothing pertaining to trends in whatever given year or decade.

Thanks!

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
That's because it's likely that none of such record exists. My dad was born around that time and it was the time before those area got any kind of birth and death registry requirement. (My dad doesn't have recorded birthday, only tentative year. I think it's pretty cool.)

If I had to guess, the trend of baby name would depend very much on the baby's social class. Commoners would have one word simple noun name. All my grandparents and their siblings had such kind of names.

Hope that helps.

llamafarmer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sharii, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

It's tough naming my characters as I really don't want to give 50's born people names that belong to another era. The vast majority of searches yield only baby names, and in forum discussions someone saying their mother/father/aunt/uncle etc is named such and such is equally as unhelpful as I have no idea how old these people are or their ethnicity (as in ethnic Khmer, Chinese, Cham etc).

llamafarmer

Registered
Reaction score
Bump. I've got a few ideas for names so I'd be interested to know if they seem correct or not. I hasten to add other Khmer-related forums won't accept any of my email addresses so I can't register and ask there.