Status
Not open for further replies.

GFanthome

At the computer, opening a vein
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong forum, but I didn't know where else to post it.

I was thinking of going to the Backspace Writers' Conference in NYC this May. Has anyone ever attended this conference - and if so, was it worth it?

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
It seems like it would be something awesome to go to. If I lived in NYC, I would buy one of the cheaper tickets and go.

But good luck if you decide to go, have fun.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Agent Janet Reid says very nice things about this conference, and it's one of the AW advertisers I'm always MORE than happy to see place a banner with us. I've heard excellent things from a wide range of professional writers and agents and editors about this event.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I went as a panelist last year, and then sat and watched many other panels. I found all the panels very compelling with loads of information. I didn't do the agent/author portion of the conference, but I heard from people who attended that it was really great.

Personally I'd highly recommend it.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that looks like so much fun. Too bad I'm broke or I'd join you in a heartbeat. :( Who knows, maybe my money situation will change sometime in the next month or so.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Backspace is a good board. I left because I was just so far behind everyone else in terms of getting anything published that I felt lost. Apart from that, good board.

E. B. Pike

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going!! I don't have any advice for you, since I haven't been before, but I'm super excited about it. I heard Michelle Hodkin was discovered there a few years ago (Author of Mara Dyer).

Let me know if you go --it'll be nice to know someone else going. :)

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
I just registered, and I wanted to revive this discussion about Backspace. My only experience with the industry is limited to my participation at AW, so I'm really nervous about going. Will I stick out like a newbie? What to expect? Please hold my hand as I take this plunge.

Deleted member 42

People I really trust in terms of their ethics, literary taste, and professionalism say really good things about Backspace.

E. B. Pike

Registered
Reaction score
I just registered, and I wanted to revive this discussion about Backspace. My only experience with the industry is limited to my participation at AW, so I'm really nervous about going. Will I stick out like a newbie? What to expect?

You will love it! (I think). I went for the first time in May and it was an awesome experience. I would sign up for a few of the 10 pages sessions, especially if you're shy. It will give you a chance to get your MS in front of people without having to tug on their ear after a panel.

I met the members of my YA writing group there. The people were nice and the information was great (although, if you've been doing your research, a lot of it will be a rehash of things you know). I especially recommend attending the final day , if you can. The writing workshops I attended with Robbins and Maass were excellent.

Oh, one more thing. I met a few of the people in advance by looking over the names in my small workshop sessions (for whatever genre you're in --they'll email them out ahead) and Googled them. I contacted the individuals through their blogs and knew a few people before I arrived. It was nice to see a few friendly faces...er...gravatars. :)

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.