PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from Salinas?

Brett Marie
03-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Salinas, CA? If you are from that area, are there any local quirks, attitudes or sayings you'd expect from a native?

Michael Davis
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah, its hot as hell (90-103 while I was there) yet 10 miles over the mountain in Monterey its always 70-82. Also, grow a lot of lettuce there, far as you can see. They hold a festival once a year (at the Monterey fairgrounds) and many local artists from Salinas would attend. Hope that helps.

Brett Marie
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Actually, it does. My character is a drummer, so I guess I can talk a bit about the festival and the lettuce. Thanks, Mr. Davis!

Lehcarjt
03-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I live not too far from Salinas. (We share the same news channel anyway.) I don't know of any specific language used there rather than other places. It's known for its gang problems, the prison, agriculture, 101 (freeway) and the Steinbeck Center. There is a huge Spanish-speaking migrant population.

The surrounding towns (especially the bay area) look down on Salinas as a pit - it has a reputation for gang killings, and most middle-class people would prefer not to be there after dark (although that is probably more about fear than actual danger - the gangs tend to shoot each other rather than random visitors).

If you have any specific questions, you can PM me. I may be able to answer them or perhaps point you in the right direction.

Rachel