Odd things little boys (age 0-4) do

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
If there are any parents out there, I could use some help. What are odd things that little boys seem to do before the age of 4yo? Especially things that boys do, but girls do not do.

As an examples:
- My friends who have little boys seem to go through a stage where the boy feels a need to go outside to pee. Not just pee, but get buck naked on the lawn and pee. I have never heard of a little girl doing this.
- Many have told me about air wizzes, basically while still in diapers, everytime their diaper is off (exposed to fresh air), they pee.

I'd like something not peeing related if there is such a thing.

(if you know of little girl oddities, I'd also be interested, but right now I'm looking to back-fill a male character. The female is later)

I know it's a strange request, but thanks for any help.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Around 1-2 years, a fascination with the pull-toy between their legs. It's an extra bit, it flops around and calls their attention, and apparently it's fun to play with.

Other than that, I'm not sure if I've seen a huge difference between the sexes. Re. your suggestion - my niece was a huge fan of outdoor naked peeing, and defecation. Quite a charmer.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Play like they're a superhero (girls might do this too, but boys probably do it more).

Chase animals (not to be intentionally cruel, but just to see if they can catch them).

Pretend to shave like dad (maybe).

Throw things (anything).

Climb trees or up to the roof (or try to).

Chase little girls. ;-)

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Say out loud wherever he is and whenever he sees an overweight woman (or man) "I guess she has a baby in her tummy, right?" or variations of, such as, "Does that guy over there have a baby in his tummy?"

Sometimes you are tempted to say, yeah, looks like he might have eaten one. Of course, you can't do this.

So brutal honesty until he learns the do's and don't's of speaking in public.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would an anecdote help? When our son was three and our daughter four, we traveled with a layover at O'Hare. We had brought lots of things for the kids to do and found a deserted gate where they could run around without bothering people. Other travelers arrived, although the gate was not in use, including a dignified black man who was just reading his newspaper where he could open it fully.

We live in a multiracial, multicultural community. Which is why it made no sense to us that our son was so fascinated by the man with his paper, until he ran up, touched the guy's hand, and reported loudly to his sister, "It's his skin!"

The guy was not amused. I think he took us for either isolated hicks or racists.

Maryn, whose kids have no memory of this

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
There's a picture of my little brother when he was about three, and he had gotten into a box of my mom's sanitary napkins, peeled the backs off, and stuck them all over his face and chest.

Me and my older brother would build cities out of Lincoln Logs and fake bricks and other toys, name it Tokyo, and call little bro "Godzilla" and he'd roar and smash the city to bits.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i had three daughters but i am a doting aunt. my nephew cody, now a grown man with a toddler of his own, carried a plastic sword at all times because he was HE MAN, MASTER OF THE YOONEYBERT! he always said this last part at the top of his lungs. his mom would try to hide the sword if they were going out in public but cody wouldn't budge without the sword.
my nephew gavin had to wear white tube sox every day. they had to be pulled to his knees when he started out the day. when they fell to half mast he'd run in and have his mom or his aunt hike them up. and a belt. i can't forget the belt. he had--i mean HAD- to wear a belt with everything. the belt was buckled to the last notch, even with shorts. he's pushing forty now but his aunty shannon still remembers him as a dorky four year old with tube sox and a belt--s6

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Strip down, run outside, and play "fireman" with the water hose. < My youngest brother at 4 years old. The neighbors thought it was "cute". I thought my skin would stay bright red for the rest of my life.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I remember my nephew would take the heads off the dolls all the time.

I had girls....so nothing there to help with.

Some of these replies are so funny. Love it.

Andrea_James

Registered
Reaction score
My cousin did the sanitary pad thing, except he plastered them to the front window for the neighborhood to see (apparently after seeing a kid on America's Funniest Home Videos stick them to the bathroom mirror). He also took my uncle's razor and shaved off exactly ONE eyebrow, and several times peed into the laundry hamper. And then he shaved off both eyebrows about a year later, when he thought no one was paying him enough attention.

Another cousin, who lived on a farm, went running across the lawn with a pitchfork in hand, tripped, and put the pitchfork all the way through his foot beside the pinky toe. On a separate occasion, his brother told my aunt that he had to pee when they were at the pool, and my aunt (bless her heart, right?) told him just to go in the pool, because she didn't feel like taking him to the locker room. So he got out of the pool, walked around to beside where she was standing, pulled down his swim trunks, and peed as if the pool were a urinal. Serves her right.

At one lunch at my grandma's, a fourth cousin of mine--and, no, I am not representing nearly all of my cousins here--disliked the entree and side dishes. His mother told him that before he could go play, he had to thank our grandma for the lovely meal. He made a disgusted face. She told him again. So he looked at our grandmother, all angel-like, and said, "Thank you, Oma, for the lovely dessert." Both his mom and Oma were too busy trying to keep their iced tea from exiting through their nostrils to stop him from running off to play.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I had three boys, then three girls. The boys were little monkeys, climbing on everything. One son called me into the living room to "See what Andy can do". Andy (2 at the time) was walking across the edge of the aquarium. I got a chorus of "aww, Mom" as I scooped him off. "We were trying to see if he could walk around the whole room without touching the floor." I finally taught them how to climb trees right, since I couldn't keep them out of the trees.

Also, whether or not you are a pacifist, your sons see a gun in every random stick, chicken leg, or Lego. One even took his Aunt's Barbie, put one leg down perpendicular to the body, and shot that.

But little boys are much more lovey-dovey than little girls, they are the ones to squeeze your cheeks and say things like "you are the bestest Mom I ever had."

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd check back to see if anyone had commented... WOW, thank you all, these are so funny (and feel free to continue to post). I don't have kids myself, so this definitely helps me a lot.

The closest I had was a sister 10+ years younger than me who had a habit of walking around with her hands flying out to her sides. At a one point or another, when I was in High School, I think my little sister managed to grab the groin of every male classmate I had because she was just the right height.

Another one that I forgot about was my best friend having to train her son that he could only gab mommy's boobies. For about six months, he thought nothing of walking up to a woman who was sitting down in church and latching onto both of them (with both hands) while he talked to her. Even complete strangers. I felt so sorry for my friend having to appologetically detach her child from these strange women, sometimes while he was determined to hang on for dear life!

(I tried to rep ya'al for the assistance -new skill I learned- hope it worked!)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My older baby brother used to bite his toenails. While he was wearing footed pajamas. He was 2 or 3 at the time.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My first two sons were pretty much angels at that age. It was the third one that broke me in.

He liked to use his teeth to clip his toenails. (still does)

He had a fascination with electricity. Seemingly out of nowhere he would find batteries and pop them in his mouth. He said he liked the funny way they tasted.

At two he pried the childproof outlet cover off of an outlet and jammed a pair of tweezers into it. The end of the tweezers melted, but he walked away unharmed. Leaving his completely freaked mommy to figure out how to remove them.

He also had an insatiable sweet tooth. We always had to keep candy stashed away up out of reach. When he was three he somehow managed to climb onto the washing machine, scale the tall vertical cabinet next to it, open the door, and retrieve a bag of Halloween candy.
We'd have been none the wiser if he hadn't knocked his dad's brand new bottle of expensive whiskey out of the cabinet and crashing to the floor when he pulled the candy out.
To this day we don't know how he got up there by himself.

At four he picked the lock to his brother's room with one of those tiny flat screwdrivers made for eyeglasses. The boys had locked themselves out, and were so shocked at what their little brother did, they locked the door again and had me come and watch him pick it.

All weapons, of every kind. Not only did he love them, once he was older, it was clear he was good with them.

My mother used to say he would either be in the CIA, a Marine, or in prison. His health will prevent him from being a Marine, so I'm holding out for CIA.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
My nephew used to like to take things apart when he was about 4. His dad brought him a toy tool set. Which was really cute until he unscrewed one of the kitchen chairs.....

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

A little boy I knew used to pee or poop in the potted plants so he didn't have to go far away from playing his video games. Outside, y'all can guess what he did.

His older brother always took off every stitch of clothing to use the bathroom at all, even at school or malls, etc! I have no idea how long that kept up. He told his mom it's just how he uses the bathroom, and she'd never really noticed at home potty training and things. He was her first kid ;)

My brother used to button every button of his shirts up to the top. He wouldn't let you undo one or two. Oh no. All of his school pictures for years have him (so cute!) buttoned up tight :D

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, biting toe nails? Now, that is weird.

My nephew used to like to take things apart when he was about 4.

I used to do this as a kid. I'm sure I dis-assembled hundreds of dollars worth of electronics. I remember looking long and hard at our TV (the old kind w/actual tubes inside). The only thing that saved my life (since those are dangersous even after unplugged) was that fact that it was our only TV and my mother loved it so much that she'd have had my dad beat the tar out of me if I messed with it.

It would be another 18 years before I learned how to put those things back together again (and just how close I came to nuking myself off the face of the earth)

He was her first kid ;)

I know a woman, first child was a boy. She started the "don't touch yourself down there" training before the potty training. Then when potty training started, she continued the 'don't touch' theory. It wasn't until her husband found out that the poor boy finally was instructed on how to aim. Society can be so confusing sometimes.

Andrea_James

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah! I had another cousin whose dad left him in the car alone for 15 minutes. Came back to discover that the kid had gotten into the emergency tool kit and disassembled the entire car stereo.

Brickcommajason

Registered
Reaction score
My 2-year-old holds a dead cell phone to his ear and talks to whatever he's looking at or thinking of.

"Hello mommy"
"Hello flowers"
"Hello books"

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
I once interrupted my mother in the middle of a phone call to tell her "Mommy, it's sticky!". She turned to see what I was referring to, and found that I had discovered a snail shell, and with the curiosity of a three-year-old boy, had put my finger inside to see what was in there. Unfortunately for my mother, this shell was inhabited, so I'd spent a good few minutes covering the front of my clothes with snail mucus.

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
If there are any parents out there, I could use some help. What are odd things that little boys seem to do before the age of 4yo? Especially things that boys do, but girls do not do.

Not sure if only boys do this. I only had boys. When he was four, my oldest insisted that his new shoes made him run faster and jump higher.

My youngest, when he was about 2-3, would put anything on his head that fit, and wear it as a hat - usually bowls and pots.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a friend who has two boys, ages 14 and 13.

Apparently the other day she decided to rearrange the funiture in her living room, something she NEVER does. When she moved the couch, she almost fainted. There was a fist-sized glob of...something underneath it.

She knew it was the boys' doing, so she asked them about it. "Aw, mom, that's been there forever. It's our booger farm."

They started it when they were 3 and 4. A booger farm. That's so disgusting. And awesome.

(I am not ready for children.)