The Thief of Bagdad (1940)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed this film, it had me at the line: "[FONT=&quot]This is no dog, but the reincarnation of a tax collector![/FONT]"
This film gave me a whole slew of quotes to add to my collection.

I really must see the 1924 version . . .

[SPOILERS FOLLOW]

I liked how it skipped over unimportant things: the arrest and the escape from prison for two.

It's not a very subtle film, but that's a strength for it I think.

Jaffar's plans were well-done: simple and effective, the way a plan should be.

That Jaffar can do some creepy eyes by the way . . .

I almost want to give Jaffar some credit for his pursuit of the Princess . . .
As an aside to that, I find it strange we never learn the Princesses' name, treating her that way makes her more of an object, caricature, or a stereotype then it does a character . . . maybe that was the point?

I do feel that the film gets kind of weak near the end when it focuses on Abu--things get kind of convoluted and far-out . . . although as a fantasy, I suppose the fantastic is supposed to be part of it. Still, I do think I would have preferred if they kept the use of magic and the fantastic more subtle and not as heavy-handed, that seemed to serve the film better.

I was rather lost on the scene where Abu is singing in the echoing chamber, anyone know what was going on there?

I think the biggest problem I had with this film though was near the end: Jaffar sentenced them to the death of a thousand cuts, but Ahmad was going to be beheaded. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

P.S. I've always wondered, is it:
Jaff-ar or Ja-far
Also, is it spelled/pronounced djinni or genie?

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Oh, yeah, great movie. I remember seeing it on tv as a child, and the genie scared me. The special effects are simple by modern standards, but the movie still looks great.

Sabu was excellent. Also worth watching in Zoltan Korda's lushly beautiful version of The Jungle Book.