Police Question

chartruscan

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of having a massacre take place that wipes out, say, almost the entire homicide division of a police department. How would the department bounce back from that? What is their course of action? Do they bring in outside help? What form does that take? How long would that take? Do they promote from within as a desperate measure? Are they stuck with an understaffed department and just have to deal?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
From what I know what happened in the Edmonton Police Service, when demand for work skyrockets or a unit is depleted, they bring in from other units (say, drug trafficking unit) and from other forces (from RCMP.)

I'll let someone who has worked in the chain of command to correct me.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see how you would achieve your massacre. Most departments would have 1/3 to 1/4 of the department working at one time. Those who are working would be scattered all over the city working their cases. If you got an entire shift, say at the beginning of the workday, you would certainly hurt them, but there's no way you'd get all of them.
On the other hand, a small department may only have one or two expert homicide detectives. If they were killed, less experienced detectives would have to step up and take over.