Dry Periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been going through a dry period so far as publications go. I got a last-minute surprising rejection from a journal I'd been working with for months on a reprint. I've been getting no bites for months. Finally, today I got an acceptance for a piece I really felt strongly about, so it was like a double feel-good moment.

Just curious, how much do you need to propel you through the dry periods? I don't need positive feedback, in fact rejections only make me submit more aggressively, but it isn't a 'good' feeling, just a "well fuck you then, I'll publish this somewhere else and get famous while your journal peters away into insignificance" --you know, typical irrational megalomaniac reaction.

Sometimes rejection comes at the worst moment, and sometimes acceptance comes at the most needed moment.

I think one acceptance will fuel my delusions of grandeur for quite a while. What about you?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard so much crashing silence on my short story subs that I keep forgetting the subs are out there. Eighteen months of silence from one pub, whose website claims that stories submitted the same month mine was ARE STILL IN QUEUE TO BE READ. Another story out to a pub for fourteen months -- the editor assures me it's still IN QUEUE TO BE READ.

So, yeah, kinda dry around here, at least on the shorts front. I think it's discouraged me from writing more shorts.

No biggie. I've got six novels ready to go, and another that may need some serious last-minute tweaking.

Work is the cure for waiting.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once won a fairly significant poetry contest. The fallout of joy lasted approximately 36 hours...:p

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a benchmark. I sent out 120 submissions across 18 months and got all form letter rejections. I revamped my query letter (nothing else, just that) send out another 40 submission and in four months received 3 contract offers. My point? Took almost 2 years but I kept trying and was one of the lucky ones to eventually get accepted.

Why did I keep pushing? Cause I read so many horror stories from wantabees that tried 4, 5, 6 years before they made it. So keep trying. Oh, and if you'd like to see a copy of the query letter that finally got me in the door, go to Davisstories.com, at the bottom of the home page click "Copyright by Michael Davis 2007" and it'll take ya to a hidden page I use for a workshop I give that contents the queries. Hope it helps, later.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Of course I had to peek, Michael.
Wonderful query letters!
I've always felt query letters should read like jacket flaps and yours most certainly do.

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thick in the middle of a waiting period right now, so thank you for posting this thread so's that I can sponge off its knowledge.

I kind of act defiant in my head, I guess. You'll only ever hear me be super polite, but for my own benefit I send things off and think "Right, then. If you don't want me I don't want you!" and refuse to think about it as much as I can. It's really similar to my approach to dating, apparently.

Right now I've been filling the time with writing wildly (bouncing between formats) and reading/watching whoever is inspiring me at the time. Right now that's Roald Dahl and Sam Fuller.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thick in the middle of a waiting period right now, so thank you for posting this thread so's that I can sponge off its knowledge.

I kind of act defiant in my head, I guess. You'll only ever hear me be super polite, but for my own benefit I send things off and think "Right, then. If you don't want me I don't want you!" and refuse to think about it as much as I can. It's really similar to my approach to dating, apparently.

Right now I've been filling the time with writing wildly (bouncing between formats) and reading/watching whoever is inspiring me at the time. Right now that's Roald Dahl and Sam Fuller.

So this is you? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.