A Question For Car Enthusiasts

AlanDavid

Registered
Reaction score
This is probably an absurd and strange question, :tongue but has anyone here got any idea what the original cost (preferably in £) was for a 1984 Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet?

Sorry to bother anyone with a question like this, but despite searching and searching, I can't seem to find out for certain what the price was when it was new.:cry:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything for you in searching, but if there is a Ferrari dealership in phoning distance to you, I bet they could find out. They might even think it was fun.

MM

AlanDavid

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. :D You didn't have to search just for me, ;) but I appreciate it. I'll try to see what I can figure out.

AlanDavid

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Night Writer! :D And yeah, the QV cabriolet is the exact sort I wanted. But... OMG... I actually found this same site earlier today. I'm sorry to have troubled you when I actually found it. How silly of me.

I'm not 100% certain, still, of course, but my currency conversion came up with like £37,000. That's with today's conversion, though. So. I'm not sure if there would've been a huge difference between the '80s USD -> GBP and now. Unfortunately, I wasn't alive then. :(

Afterwards, I put it through an inflation calculator... I'm guessing the £37,000 would've been worth like £100,000 in today's money.

How much might've been discounted, though, off the MSRP, if someone had got a good deal on the car? Just wondering what seems believable.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to find out the divergence between GBP and USD just run the USD through an inflation calculator too. Pretty simple math then gives you the answer.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
You found that site, too? Haha, isn't it great?

As for getting a good deal, and what's believable, I'll say this: I lived through the 80's when Ferrari had a few cars in the works, the Testarossa, and a couple others. But they didn't make very many of them. These weren't mass-produced cars like you get from Fiat or something. I don't think a deal would be very believable, at least not if the car is brand new from a Ferrari dealer, IMHO.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Night Writer! :D And yeah, the QV cabriolet is the exact sort I wanted. But... OMG... I actually found this same site earlier today. I'm sorry to have troubled you when I actually found it. How silly of me.

I'm not 100% certain, still, of course, but my currency conversion came up with like £37,000. That's with today's conversion, though. So. I'm not sure if there would've been a huge difference between the '80s USD -> GBP and now. Unfortunately, I wasn't alive then. :(

Afterwards, I put it through an inflation calculator... I'm guessing the £37,000 would've been worth like £100,000 in today's money.

How much might've been discounted, though, off the MSRP, if someone had got a good deal on the car? Just wondering what seems believable.

bbm

Oh, my gosh, I was there in whatever year Andrew married Fergie, what, '85? It was a nearly 2-1 dollar to pound conversion. I could NOT get my mother to do the math and she was tipping people double for everything *rant ends*

eta: wait, I had a point which I just remembered: there was a big difference between US dollars and pounds in the 80's, iirc.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The list price is only the starting point for a car like that. Individual specifications could push the price up.