Another strange signing thing...

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Just after Christmas I posted a thread about seeing what appeared to be Mervyn Peake's signature in a brand new copy of Gormenghast in the Deansgate (Manchester) Waterstones...

Well, on that trip I bought a lot of books because they had a clearance sale on. I've only jusy got round to reading some of these ( I have been catching up on reviews...). I got hold of Maria Snyder's Opal Cowan series very cheap. Finished the first one today and picked up the second one to begin reading it. I open up to the title page and see that someone had scribbled on it in pen... on closer inspection it turns out to be Maria Snyder's signature (well, having not seen her signature, it could be someone faking it but I am applying the benefit of the doubt here :) ). Not only is it her signature but it seems to be a personal message to someone called 'Michael'...

Bear in mind, this was found on the clearance/bargain shelf in the middle of a load of brand new books. This one looks brand new apart from the signature...

Now sometimes shops that have signings grab a couple of copies to be signed to sell in the shop. However, these are generally just a signature and are usually prominently displayed not hidden in the bargain bin...

So any theories about this? :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Michael picked up the wrong copy at the checkout, and his personalized copy was left behind. No one else wanted it, because their name wasn't Michael.

MM

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Could be either... but generally personalised signings in this country you get by being there when the author is there... you can't usually order one in advance and pick it up (at least not that I have ever seen...).

It just freaked me out when I opened it up...