PDA

View Full Version : What's your avatar?

DragonHeart
03-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes across a really awesome avatar every once in awhile and wonders where it's from. So what's yours and where is it from?

My current avatar as Oerba Yun Fang from Final Fantasy XIII.

Maryn
03-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Mine is stacked chairs. I bet you already figured that out, huh?

Maryn, toolmaker, stacker of wheat

mirandashell
03-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Mine's the USS Enterprise.

:brit

Cella
03-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Mine changes too much, but this is a pic Silver King posted in a thread a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty, so he said I could have it. :)

maxmordon
03-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Mine is me.

regdog
03-02-2012, 12:32 AM
For now it's Autobot Arcee

flapperphilosopher
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Mine is Clara Bow, silent film star. I think she looks more like me than I do.

flapperphilosopher
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Mine's the USS Enterprise.

The Doctor has always been my favourite Star Trek character too.

quickWit
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
mine is me.

mirandashell
03-02-2012, 12:42 AM
The Doctor has always been my favourite Star Trek character too.

And mine!

Mr Flibble
03-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Tank Girl, natch

Mainly because when first using the net/avvies, I had a convo with Old Man and mates, discussing 'which comic book character we're most like'. Unanimous verdict was if I were in comic form, I'd be Tank Girl.

Maybe I should bring back the Tank Girl piccie with the big stick wiv nails in.

mirandashell
03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I loved Tank Girl when I was younger.

Alessandra Kelley
03-02-2012, 12:59 AM
I drew mine. It's from a homebrewed roleplaying game my husband ran a few years ago.

KellyAssauer
03-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Mine is a Sarah Jane Smith doll - who played Tank Girl in the Movies...

*actually it really is just me...

cray
03-02-2012, 01:09 AM
mine is me.

http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/DoucheGraph.jpg

quickWit
03-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Woo Hoo!

I. Am. AWESOME!

Cella
03-02-2012, 01:16 AM
easy for you, it was color-coded!

DeleyanLee
03-02-2012, 02:00 AM
At the moment, mine is the little sock guy from the video game Big Little Planet (which I've never played) dressed as Ezio Auditore da Firenze from the video game Assassin's Creed 2 (which I have played--many times).

BeatrixKiddo
03-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure. Just some cool Renaissance Faire image I found online recently. I am sooo dressing up in costume the next time I go.

no-man's-land
03-02-2012, 02:07 AM
:Shrug:I got no avatar.

areteus
03-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Mine is me on one of my trips to the 1930s using Mirandashell's Enterprise. Ironically enough, while I was there I was a Doctor who dressed in tweed.

I had a dog too, but he was real and not a robot :)

I did have the primary school class I taught really fooled by that photo... they really thought I had been to the 1930s. Which, of course, I had so there was no need to fool them...

Though it was a good lesson about taking the evidence of your own eyes for granted :)

Gretad08
03-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Busch Stadium. Home of the St. Louis Cardinals. Home of the Cubs first 2012 loss.

KellyAssauer
03-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Busch Stadium. Home of the...

Oh geez, and with QW and cray already here...

*unsubscribes*

Gretad08
03-02-2012, 02:45 AM
Oh geez, and with QW and cray already here...

*unsubscribes*

I only speak the truth!

Tepelus
03-02-2012, 02:59 AM
I drew mine. It's from a homebrewed roleplaying game my husband ran a few years ago.

I was wondering if yours was something you had drawn yourself. Very good!

As for mine, well, same as Alessandra, I drew mine, but mine is from a scene in my novel. It's my MC holding his son after being gone for months at war (which I have yet to write, but I'll get to it eventually, I've written the scene for which the picture portrays). I think tonight I'm going to start another picture from a scene in my novel. I just got a couple of new portfolios to put my drawings in and I need to fill them up!

DeaK
03-02-2012, 03:15 AM
This is a great thread! Alessandra, that's a beautiful drawing. And Kelly, I love your avatar with her daily(?) adjustments. It's creepy, adorable, and sexy all at the same time.

My landscape is a road I took a walk down on my wedding day, along with husband and nearly all the guests. We went to the beach, then came back to the wedding venue for dinner. I may change it soon – now I want to show us on the beach :)

kayleamay
03-02-2012, 04:45 AM
<--- That's my dog when he was a pup. He's a much mightier ten months old now.

ETA: Totally jealous of all you artistic types. I can barely draw stick figures.

Al Stevens
03-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I drew mine several years ago when I was illustrating one of my programming books.

Siri Kirpal
03-02-2012, 04:59 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just some book that landed on my doorstep almost 2 years ago. (I'm just out of camera range on the far left.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Silver King
03-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Mine is a tarpon. I took that shot just after the fish was hooked as I held the rod in one hand and a camera in the other. Sounds like multi-tasking, but it was sheer luck that I pressed the shutter release by mistake before handing off the camera...

Mclesh
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Beautiful! I'm impressed with your talent. My artistic skills are limited to stick figures. (Bad ones.)

Mine is Chance the Dog, my Australian Shepherd. In the current picture, he's holding a large stick (an Australian Shepherd toothpick). ;)

rhymegirl
03-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Mine is some broad who writes stuff.

KatieJ
03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
I can't settle on a good one. Right now it's blueberries because blueberries are the only profitable thing to come out of where I live... so far!

KatieJ
03-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Mine is a tarpon. I'm so glad you told us what that is, I've been wondering.

Tiz_Mee
03-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Mine is.....a post-it note. Woo. Hoo. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Mclesh
03-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Mine is a tarpon. I took that shot just after the fish was hooked as I held the rod in one hand and a camera in the other. Sounds like multi-tasking, but it was sheer luck that I pressed the shutter release by mistake before handing off the camera...

Silver King, I have to tell you, your tarpon reminds me of a phallus every time I see it. (Not that that's a bad thing.) :D

Silver King
03-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Silver King, I have to tell you, your tarpon reminds me of a phallus every time I see it. (Not that that's a bad thing.) :D
I've heard that before and was taken aback at first. I was all like, What? It's only a fish!

Since then, I've learned to accept the avatar's visual appeal, and how it thrusts upward, seemingly hard and wild and seeking something... ;)

Mclesh
03-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I've heard that before and was taken aback at first. I was all like, What? It's only a fish!

Since then, I've learned to accept the avatar's visual appeal, and how it thrusts upward, seemingly hard and wild and seeking something... ;)

:ROFL:

Medievalist
03-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I usually post about the source of my avatars as a Visitor Message.

And I can tell you, people do, consciously and unconsciously, associate your avatar with you-the-person, and with your "message."

Haggis
03-02-2012, 07:25 AM
My avatar is that of a seascape looking out from Douglas in the Isle of Man.

In Winter.

KTC
03-02-2012, 07:32 AM
My avatar is my debut novel. (-;

kayleamay
03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I usually post about the source of my avatars as a Visitor Message.

And I can tell you, people do, consciously and unconsciously, associate your avatar with you-the-person, and with your "message."

This is totally true. It's also why I've come to realize that Medi is hiding horns under that headscarf. ;)

Siri Kirpal
03-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm enjoying finding out what the avatars actually are and sometimes why people picked them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

fredXgeorge
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Ooh good thread, I love looking at people's avatars. Mine's Legolas, aka Mr Sexy-Elf.

@BeatrixKiddo those costume are ridiculously amazing.

Purple Rose
03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Mine is where I sit and watch the sunset almost every evening when there aren't guests, which is almost every evening (not a good way to run a B&B).

ETA: Very cool thread!

Literateparakeet
03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Mine is me, playing chess.

LOL, seriously, one day I decided that I needed an avatar to match my name. When I found this pic, I knew it was THE one. I mean a parakeet that reads, AND plays chess..irresistable! :)

KellyAssauer
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
< Going with the Western theme this weekend as a subliminal reminder for everyone
to read and vote in the AW Western Short Story Contest!

*not so subtle hint*

quickWit
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I've learned to accept the avatar's visual appeal, and how it thrusts upward, seemingly hard and wild and seeking something... ;)

Yeah, that's...that's really gross, sk.

Lavern08
03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
<------ My middle name really is Lavern. :Shrug:

Wicked
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
At the moment mine is a sketch of one of my oldest characters. I created her in 1987, and did the sketch in 1998. Though most of my other characters from that time have either been discarded or transformed, she still stays the same.

Her aging and battered picture is stuck to the wall next to my computer, reminding me that I have stories to write.

shyne
03-02-2012, 10:28 PM
My avatar is metaphor for the attempts to thaw the hyperborean cockles of my minds intellect.

It's a farkin hat

underthecity
03-03-2012, 02:56 AM
It's the juggler Rudy Cardenas performing at the Beverly Hills Country Club around 1955. It's from a scan from the original slide for my book.

Snowstorm
03-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Mine's the view outside my kitchen window.

Danika
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Mah face!

My boyfriend told me to stop being an internet hermit and post a picture. So, face.

sheadakota
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Mine is a steampunked horse. I love horses- I have five- I got steampunked last april by the admins and loved it so much I kept it.

Chris P
03-03-2012, 07:39 AM
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLTFQsFswM because it is awesome beyond awesome, from the days when understated zaniness was appreciated.

It's from the Ernie Kovacs show in the early 1960s. The ape standing with the drumsticks is Jack Lemmon, the one sitting is Ernie, and the one playing piano is Edie Adams, Ernie's wife. The song is Solfeggio by Robert Maxwell. A "solfege" is a song made up entirely of syllables from the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do scale.

Dreity
03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Does anyone else tend to associate pictures with posters more often than screennames? I get REALLY confused when someone changes their avatar to something completely different from their previous one...at least keep it in the same vein, people!

This is a sketch I found while trolling Deviant Art when I should have been writing. The facial features remind me of my FMC in a spooky way. I like the simplicity of it, and this particular artist just draws the most expressive, beautiful eyes - though you can't really see how awesome they are at this size.

Chris P
03-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I got steampunked last april by the admins and loved it so much I kept it.

And guess what day is only four weeks away now?

To the bunkers!

mario_c
03-03-2012, 08:24 AM
<- From his special "Carlin On Campus". Lots of slapstick and his trademark "goofy sh!#", and full renditions of his classic routines "Place For My Stuff" and "Baseball and Football".

Susan Littlefield
03-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Me.

Chumplet
03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Mine is me as one of my favourite SCTV characters, Edith Prickley.

Jehhillenberg
03-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Does anyone else tend to associate pictures with posters more often than screennames?

Kinda guilty. I get stuck on both.

<---(awesome Naya Rivera a.k.a. "Santana") One of my alters/"twins"

*actually it really is just me...

This, basically.

resulka
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Mine's a spider.

For some bizarre reason, I'm fascinated by the furry little devils. I have a collection of vials on my desk at work filled with spiders floating in ethyl alcohol. That might sound a bit creepy, but it's a great conversation starter!

BeThatAsItMay
03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Mine is an encrypted message.

evilrooster
03-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Mine was a gift from Medi. I adore it, enough to forgive her all the times she's said that "humans are chickens with thumbs" as though it's a bad thing.

Medievalist
03-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Mine was a gift from Medi. I adore it, enough to forgive her all the times she's said that "humans are chickens with thumbs" as though it's a bad thing.

It is a bad thing, though I admit I like chickens marginally better than homo sapiens sapiens.

Ask me about my experience as poultry tender.

I think of KFC as sweet, sweet revenge.

Pyekett
03-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Smack me begobbered, but I didn't realize Kelly's avatar doll changed. Now the OCD is going to kick in.

SilverKing's picture always looked like a glass phallus to me, and that made me nervous for reasons that we won't go into at this current juncture.

Mine is the pattern of book spines at the corner of my desk shelf dotted with a spot of blood. The blood is for Mystery, which is the king of genres for anyone who has an unhealthy obsession with plotting.

Added: My face is like a moose drawn through a plate glass window sideways. Seriously, you want the books.

benbradley
03-04-2012, 04:56 AM
I saw the pic of Ray Kurzweil with his eye-with-Earth-reflecting-in-his-eyeglass from the movie "Transcendent Man" and decided that eye just HAD to be my avatar.
http://transcendentman.com/

And perhaps it's about time to remove the Tosspot references?

"Approaching Abundance" might be good, with that new book out.

Cliff Face
03-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Mine is the famous landscape painting unearthed in Rome in 1657 of an archangel pouring wine into a chalice.

Or it's a guitar. I'm not wearing my glasses right now. Hmm. Yes, it might be a guitar.

In fact, it appears to be a steampunk guitar, given to me by the AW gods last April Fool's. But you can totally see how I'd get confused.

Cliff Face
03-04-2012, 05:47 AM
I have no idea where it came from, other than "From the AW gods".

Although I've been toying with the idea of changing my avatar... I have a pic of the guitar I most covet, and it's just dying to be seen.

LilliCray
03-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Mine is a Paint* drawing of my favoritest expression ever: "Holy flying sheep in a shipwreck." Or, in Japanese: 難船の中の飛んでいる神聖な羊。Which I also had as my user title for awhile, but I believe it's changed now... (obviously, I don't pay attention to my user title much :tongue)

*Synonymous with "very crappy"

tedi.s
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Mine is an old pin-up poster recruiting for the Navy, my husband's employer and mistress (and that Bit** gets all his time!!!) Right now they ran off to Afghanistan together. *harrumph* It's all good. I'll just stay home and spend his money.

I like the avatar since it had brown curly hair like mine and is a little rounder like me too.

jjdebenedictis
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Mine is a self-portrait.

Except my eyebrows are more see-through than that. Oh, and I, um, may have left out some fine lines and wrinkles.

FrankiiGii
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Mine is Katherine Hepburn with a quote saying "I always try to remember that simply living is fun." Or something along those lines. I like the picture because it's such a departure from her usually more reserved style. She's awesome.

regdog
03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
For now it's Autobot Arcee

And now it's the Decepticon Knockout

SinisterCola
03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
My avatar is a creature known as Garchomp. It's a dragon capable of running at sonic speeds and producing massive earthquakes. Plus it kinda looks like a hammerhead shark, making it more fearsome.

This beastie is from the game Pokemon.

Silver King
03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
...SilverKing's picture always looked like a glass phallus to me, and that made me nervous for reasons that we won't go into at this current juncture.
I haven't heard of a glass version of the phallus resemblance until now, which is pretty damn funny.

This is the original picture, fully natural and uncut. Depending on one's perspective, it will either help to dispel or reinforce the phallic implications of that shot:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/Silver-King/Tarpon05-14-07038-2.jpg

Jehhillenberg
03-05-2012, 07:23 AM
I haven't heard of a glass version of the phallus resemblance until now, which is pretty damn funny.

This is the original picture, fully natural and uncut. Depending on one's perspective, it will either help to dispel or reinforce the phallic implications of that shot:

*nods* Yep.

no-man's-land
03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Mine is the tension between illusion and reality.

BardSkye
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Mine combines a love of dragons and a love of puns. So, of course, I have a dragon boat-racing. As an added attraction, though it's hard to see at this size, the boat's name is the Mary Lou.

Archerbird
03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Mine is a picture of me in the morning.

Devil Ledbetter
03-06-2012, 06:13 AM
David Gilmour of Pink Floyd around 1971.

He turns 66 tomorrow.

DragonHeart
03-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Awkwardly, I think I can kind of see why. In the original picture the color is much more, err, colorful. The avatar version is more washed out, giving it a kind of glassy appearance.

Sigh. Now that I thought about that, I'll never get the image out of my brain. I'm surprised we're not all horror writers by now. :D

regdog
03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
And now it's the Autobot Prowl

Wicked
03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
And now it's the Autobot Prowl

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/TV_and_Movies/stargate2.gif Prowl transforms into Thomas the Tank Engine?

Mine is a section of watercolor painting I was doing for my daughter. It's a Latrodectus hesperus, a.k.a. Western Black Widow.

And likely to change any day now. :tongue

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Mine is the cover of my latest - the family stories/family recipe collection I promised to compile when Cox.net decided to do away with personal websites...

I usually go with some woman in a red dress... you may remember her... she gives some folks nightmares and others very pleasant nocturnal... dreams.

Here she is with her main squeeze:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/OFG.jpg

regdog
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/TV_and_Movies/stargate2.gif Prowl transforms into Thomas the Tank Engine?

Not funny. Prowl has been violated and you guys just laugh it up.

Wicked
03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Not funny. Prowl has been violated and you guys just laugh it up.

*snaps to and salutes* At your command.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/laughing-019.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gifhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-132.gif

Jersey Chick
03-10-2012, 05:14 AM
My usual avatar is Hugh Jackman (which usually nets me the most rep points.) But, in honor of my Giants winning Super Bowl XLVI, I'm proudly displaying their logo. :D

Jessianodel
03-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Mine is a dragon. I got it as a present when I asked about avatars changing at random :D

thothguard51
03-10-2012, 06:12 AM
I change my avatars depending on mood.

This current on, is an original cover for A Princess of Mars by ERB and the artwork is from Frank E Shoonovers, in honor of the John Carter movie by Disney.

Of course, by time you read this it may be something else...

shakeysix
03-10-2012, 06:30 AM
a picture that i snapped in my garden some years ago--my old shoes propped next to a clump of dianthus. i've moved since then but have fond memories of that particular garden. --s6

regdog
03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Today It's Barricade

Haggis
03-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm a vicious killer.

Sophia
03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm a wishous kwiwwer.

Awwww! :kiss:

Wicked
03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm a vicious killer of small vermin.

There, fixed it for you. :D

Does anyone else have the urge to put him in a basket, and tie bows in his fur?

Priene
03-10-2012, 10:47 PM
It's Borussia Dortmund socks.

Cella
03-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Does anyone else have the urge to put him in a basket, and tie bows in his fur?

Like an Easter bunny?!

Excellent idea, W!

rockurself
03-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Mine is lyrics from Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't by Brand New.

"Every line is about who I don't wanna write about anymore."

cmi0616
03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
The one and only Bill Hicks is my avatar. He had one of the funniest, most brilliant minds I've ever seen.

wishflower
03-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Mine's uh.. creative. It's a wishflower. Or a weed, depending on your perspective. But I believe in wishes more than I believe in unwanted plants...

BeatrixKiddo
03-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Mine keeps changing because I have avatar ADD (AvieADD) and I get bored with it after about a week or so.

wishflower
03-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Yeah... I'm wondering if I shouldn't put up a picture of me as a zombie or something. You know... to keep 'em guessing...

Words.Worth
03-16-2012, 05:41 AM
hanging in the balance with an umbrella

BeatrixKiddo
03-17-2012, 02:44 AM
See? I changed it again. I can't help mahself.

:D

fredXgeorge
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Changed mine to the mockingjay symbol from The Hunger Games in honour of the film which I'm seeing tomorrow! I was going to change it like a week ago but I forgot. Ah well.

JDM1950
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Frodo.

LOTR is my all-time favorite, 'nuff said.

regdog
03-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Now, I'm Starscream hugging Baby Jazz and refusing to give him back to Optimus.