PDA

View Full Version : Longest submission time

GFanthome
03-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Just wondering what everyone else out there has to say about this.

What was the longest time you ever submitted a manuscript out to publishers - and are you still submitting that same manuscript?

Drachen Jager
03-01-2012, 04:15 AM
With an agent or on your own? Makes a big difference from what I've heard. I'm on my first agent-subbed work so I can't really speak to the question, though I have heard several people on here who have been two years or more.

Unimportant
03-01-2012, 04:33 AM
I spent ten years trying to find a home for a short story.

GFanthome
03-01-2012, 04:38 AM
With an agent or on your own? Makes a big difference from what I've heard. I'm on my first agent-subbed work so I can't really speak to the question, though I have heard several people on here who have been two years or more.

On my own. I tried submitting to a bunch of agents but only one got back to me - and they weren't interested. So I submit directly to publishers because at least I hear back from them.

Sunburn
03-01-2012, 04:57 AM
On my own. I tried submitting to a bunch of agents but only one got back to me - and they weren't interested. So I submit directly to publishers because at least I hear back from them.
Would you say its always better to deal with the publisher than an agent?

RemusShepherd
03-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Just wondering what everyone else out there has to say about this.

What was the longest time you ever submitted a manuscript out to publishers - and are you still submitting that same manuscript?

I submitted a novel (without an agent) to an editor that I knew at a major publisher in October 2008.

In June 2010 I saw the editor at a convention and asked him about the manuscript, now 20 months on submission. He asked me to re-submit directly to his email address, which I did.

In October of 2011 I sent the publisher a birthday card for my manuscript, congratulating it on its 3rd year on submission. I enclosed a SASE and asked if they could send me a note about its status.

It's March of 2012 -- 3 1/2 years on submission. No word yet. I don't really expect any at this point.

happywritermom
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
With an agent?
One editor never did respond during the two years I was with my agent.
Most responded within one to two months.
I have only one agentless manuscript out on submission and it's been only about six weeks so far.
I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a few months.

triceretops
03-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Baen, Tor and Daw have always been hellishly long for me--one year to 19 months, thereabouts. That's my sub. My agent gets them to pass on me about 2 1/2 to 3 months.

GFanthome
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Would you say its always better to deal with the publisher than an agent?

That's been my experience, with all three of the manuscripts I've submitted over the years.

Phaeal
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I have a couple of shorts that have been out for well over a year -- the editors assure me they're still under consideration.

I never bothered to sub to the few Big Six imprints that will accept unagented MSS.* From everything I've heard, you can easily wait a couple years for that form rejection. ;)

*Well, except for that Penguin UK submission when they opened a very brief window for the unagented. Never heard back. Never really expected to.