PDA

View Full Version : RIP Davy Jones

Celia Cyanide
02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I just got the word that he passed today. The youngest Monkee!

I am quite disappointed that he has died before they had a chance to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I don't see how Jan Wenner can block their nomination while justifying the Dave Clark Five. The Monkees intruduced me to some of the great music of the 60's at a young age, and I might not have ever discovered it otherwise.

From their awesome movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdd5xI9l7Ns

blacbird
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
The Monkees got knocked for being a band manufactured to cater to the bubble-gum audience. Their recordings pretty much all feature work by good studio musicians. I'm not even sure Peter Dork or Mickey Dolenz could play an instrument. Nesmith could, and I believe did release a solo recording later.

But Jones could really sing, and their best stuff like Daydream Believer, Last Train to Clarksville and I'm a Believer remain fun listenable tunes that still get lots of airplay on the oldie stations.

Sad.

caw

robjvargas
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Sad.

I loved the show as a kid. I still laugh at their reruns.

regdog
02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
:(

Calla Lily
02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
:(

rhymegirl
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
The Monkees got knocked for being a band manufactured to cater to the bubble-gum audience. Their recordings pretty much all feature work by good studio musicians. I'm not even sure Peter Dork or Mickey Dolenz could play an instrument. Nesmith could, and I believe did release a solo recording later.
caw

No, some of this is not true.

When they started out, the Monkees didn't play their own instruments. But by maybe the 3rd album, they started playing their own instruments.

Peter Tork has always been a guitar player as well as Mike Nesmith. From what I read Micky Dolenz learned to play drums for when they went on tour. They didn't have to play on TV, but they surely had to play when they went around the country touring.

Celia Cyanide
02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not even sure Peter Dork or Mickey Dolenz could play an instrument.

Peter was actually the most accomplished musician out of all of them. It usually wasn't known, however, because he didn't sing, and, as whymegirl just said, they were not allowed to actually play until their third album.

Micky could play guitar. It is unknown why they stuck him on drums, which he could not yet play, especially since he was a good singer and frontman. Mike once said that sticking Micky on drums was the dumbest thing their people ever did. It was actually Peter who taught Micky how to play drums.

Davy had a great and unique voice. Mike has said that his singing, along with Last Train To Clarksville, are the only 2 things he likes about the first 2 albums.

Shadow_Ferret
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Whymegirl. I like it. :D

But I'm sad about Davy. He was the one I wanted to be like when I was a kid. So much cooler than anyone from the stones or Beatles.

thothguard51
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
He was also a jockey if I remember right...

triceretops
02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
This is sad. I remember having those single hits on 45s and playing them over and over again. :cry:

DeleyanLee
02-29-2012, 11:20 PM
He was just here in town not long ago too. He was touring with Peter Noonan, IIRC. I didn't see him (unemployed at the time), but I heard that it was a fun concert in a fairly intimate setting.

Very sad as well as very surprising.

CaroGirl
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
I saw them in concert one sweltering summer afternoon. They were fun and Jones could really sing. He also had a pretty cool locker.

I haz a sad.

rhymegirl
02-29-2012, 11:23 PM
This is sad. I remember having those single hits on 45s and playing them over and over again. :cry:

The first Monkees album I owned was the third one, The Monkees Headquarters. In fact, this was the first album of anybody's I owned. My sisters and I played it over and over again.

I'm sad about losing Davy. I read he had a heart attack, but I wonder how his health had been recently. It seems very sudden. I thought I read that he'd just performed somewhere recently.

Gravity
02-29-2012, 11:35 PM
When my wife was a teenager, she and most of her friends had a real crush on Davy. I think one of the most appealing things about the group was they actually appeared to having fun (fancy that!) as opposed to so many angst-ridden late 60s acts.

Trivia note: when he was younger, Mickey Dolenz (as Mickey Braddock) had the lead in the 1950s network TV series, Circus Boy. I recall watching it.

Yes, that make me old. :D

Gravity
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Further trivia note: Mike Nesmith's mom invented Wite Out ... and made a fortune with the patent.

Jersey Chick
02-29-2012, 11:46 PM
I inherited their records when my cousin became too cool for them. When I was little, I watched their show in reruns. When I was in high school, either MTV or Nickelodeon reran them again and I still loved them.

How sad. :(

Mclesh
02-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Nooooo! I'm so sad. The Monkees had some great songs, Daydream Believer, Last Train to Clarksville, Steppin' Stone, I'm a Believer.

I never watched the show, but Davy Jones was so cute! Quite the heartthrob in his day.

I'm sad. :(

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Has anyone seen the movie? It's bizarre and awesome.

Still bitter about that Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, thing.

Susie
03-01-2012, 02:51 AM
RIP, Davey.

Night_Writer
03-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Oh my, this is shocking news. A piece of my childhood wiped out in an instant. Sad news, indeed, very sad.

CACTUSWENDY
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
I so enjoyed their humor, their music, and their all around clean looks. They just seemed to have a lot of fun. It's sad to see him pass so soon.

May his family find peace.

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2012, 06:20 AM
I would like to share some of my favorite Monkees songs.

The Door Into Summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzkA0j8A5E

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Love is Only Sleeping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76r49dAYTw

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Goin' Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq0jRumMJG4

Lady MacBeth
03-01-2012, 06:47 AM