Female to Male Writing: Similarities and Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
To the Moderators:
This is an interesting topic that I think would make for a good discussion I hope.
If it is not then apologies in advance.

I sometimes wonder whether us readers are able to tell a female from a male's book if pen names were available.
This brings me to thinking about the time when women were not allowed to publish their books on their ground of their gender .
Names such as George Eliot and Ellis Bell ring a bell.

Then these women writers got away with it which assumes that they were believed to be men and therefore women write in the exactly the same as men.

Discuss.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Use Basic Writing Questions for actual writing questions, and AW Roundtable for broader writing style related discussions, please! :)

-Derek

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
Judging by the cover colors a pinkish one would be a giveaway.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I spy a locked thread, this way comes. :D

This wouldn't have anything to do with your thread in Novels, does it? Because if it does, you are barking up the wrong tree. Us of the female variety can be just as gory, violent and dark as our male counterparts.

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
Roundtable's usually more a serious debate forum. Just sayin'.

-Derek

I see. But my answer was serious even though it could be taken as a bit less intelligent.

I'll take your remark on board though, thx.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
I spy a locked thread, this way comes. :D

This wouldn't have anything to do with your thread in Novels, does it? Because if it does, you are barking up the wrong tree. Us of the female variety can be just as gory, violent and dark as our male counterparts.
Hi gothicangel. Nothing to do with Novels just a general discussion.
I just wanted to talk about how different and similar are women and men's writings.
Can a reader tell the difference for example.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi gothicangel. Nothing to do with Novels just a general discussion.
I just wanted to talk about how different and similar are women and men's writings.
Can a reader tell the difference for example.
As often as I am mistaken for a man on these forums, I would say no. It seems people figure out I'm female only after I mention my husband or talk about a pregnancy or some such thing.

I too have misread the genders of other posters. This tells me that gender isn't obvious in writing, and also that it's far from important to writing. In that sense, the written word is an equalizer.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Alice B. Sheldon wrote under the name James Tiptree, Jr. for years before her identity was discovered. No one could tell the difference. They only found her out because everyone wanted to know who this award-winning writer was, so they wanted to track "him" down.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
Yes and No.
If we take Modern books then I would assume because the language is modernised in a such a way then I would not be able to tell the difference because women and men have moved on with the feminist movement and our life style have also updated that it is not easy to spot the difference.
J.K Rowlings used initials as her pen name because she wanted her readers to believe she was a man.
Has she got away with it ? I have no idea but it seems by her popularity amongst young teenagers may suggest that she did.
Again the facts behind her selling widely and to which gender she was most popular with is not clear.

If I move to say victorian time and consider Austin, I am not sure I would be able to tell either.
I personally would have assumed that one may because of the differences in status rank and everyday life.
Austin's writing is largely based on characters descriptions both men and women and for someone who can write freely about both genders suggest to me someone who knows a fair bit about both so well in such a way that I am not sure anymore...

The other point if this may answer it is if that George Eliot and Ellis Bell got away with it by selling through a male pen name then leaves to think that there is no difference between a man's writing and a woman's.

Again I need to research it more.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
As often as I am mistaken for a man on these forums, I would say no. It seems people figure out I'm female only after I mention my husband or talk about a pregnancy or some such thing.

I too have misread the genders of other posters. This tells me that gender isn't obvious in writing, and also that it's far from important to writing. In that sense, the written word is an equalizer.
Hi Devil Ledbetter I thought you were a man and maybe your avatar had a lot to do with it, not this one, the other one.
Also I could not tell the way you interacted, I thought you were a He..Apologies:eek:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
If I move to say victorian time and consider Austin, I am not sure I would be able to tell either.

Picky notes:

If you are talking about Jane Austen (not Austin) she lived in the Regency era, not the Victorian. Victoria started her reign in 1837. Austen died in 1817.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yes and No.
If we take Modern books then I would assume because the language is modernised in a such a way then I would not be able to tell the difference because women and men have moved on with the feminist movement and our life style have also updated that it is not easy to spot the difference.

Hmm.

J.K Rowlings used initials as her pen name because she wanted her readers to believe she was a man.
Has she got away with it ? I have no idea but it seems by her popularity amongst young teenagers may suggest that she did.
Again the facts behind her selling widely and to which gender she was most popular with is not clear.

Is that why she used initials?

Also, the facts behind her selling widely are in fact pretty clear: she wrote a great series that lots and lots of people really loved. There's no mystery to it, and implying that there is, IMO, detracts from her accomplishments and talent. Which gender likes her better is unclear because it's not important.

Austen did not live or write in the Victorian era. She died twenty years before Victoria ascended the throne.

I personally would have assumed that one may because of the differences in status rank and everyday life.
Austin's writing is largely based on characters descriptions both men and women and for someone who can write freely about both genders suggest to me someone who knows a fair bit about both so well in such a way that I am not sure anymore...

Not sure what you're saying here; you seem to be implying that Austen was actually a man, because she was capable of writing "freely" about both genders?

That's the job of a writer. If you can't write realistic characters of both genders, you're not very good at that job. Writers need to be able to know and understand people if they want to write realistic people.

The other point if this may answer it is if that George Eliot and Ellis Bell got away with it by selling through a male pen name then leaves to think that there is no difference between a man's writing and a woman's.

Again I need to research it more.

Just curious: Why? Why do you care so much about this topic? Why does it matter? Why do you need to research it?

Also, the first bit of your post I quoted was about how perhaps in modern times there's no difference because of feminism, but all of the authors you mention as crossing the gender line were published a hundred years ago or more. Clearly this isn't an issue of modern vs. historical. You've answered your own question here, repeatedly.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've said this before, so I'll throw it in here. I use my first two initials, last name as my 'pen name.' Some time ago I went to NYC to get a little award and another author came up to congratulate me. He went to shake my husband's hand, saying, "Loved your story, was on the committee which selected it."

In which case, Mike (my husband), turned aside and said 'She's the writer.'

So I guess, for some, I write just like a man.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. On here is a good example, I keep discovering that people are the opposite gender of what I thought. Personally, I can't tell what gender an author is, and personally, I don't give a s**t.

catian

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. On here is a good example, I keep discovering that people are the opposite gender of what I thought. Personally, I can't tell what gender an author is, and personally, I don't give a s**t.
That was exactly my point before I found out J.K Rowlings used initials to disguie the fact that she was a woman.
That surprised me because it is still happening and it makes me wonder about how many other authors out there like J.K Rowlings are pretending to be what they are not.
At the end of the day it was quite a disappointment to hear about J.K Rowlings case because it does undermine the status of women writers.
Just an opinion.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Can I ask you why you chose a male pen name?

Is that why she used initials?

For many of the same reasons JK used her initials - for her, her target audience was boys, and iirc it was thought they might not read a book written by a woman. Sadly, over here, that might even be true.

I decided on using a pen name because the genre I am writing in now is far removed from my fantasy romance (very far lol). I'm using the name because I'm writing in a male POV and...well, we just thought a gender neutral-ish (I use the male version, but the m/f versions are similar) name would be better. I'm not going to hide that I am, in fact, female (be hard at signings and conferences!) but a casual browser won't know. And a casual browser...will they care? I don't know. Perhaps - it wouldn't surprise me in the least. But I was going to use a pen name anyway, and I like this one. So there you are.

But I ain't telling any of you what it is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.