Requesting advice on job interview follow-up time

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I did a phone interview for a job I would LOVE to have on Thursday, Feb 16. The interview, I thought, went very well. The lady said that she would know something and call by the next Friday, the 24th. She invited me to call her back in case I had any questions at all.

I sent the obligatory Thank You letter on Friday.

I called her on Tuesday because I wanted to ask her about when she would need the names of references she asked about (but never said exactly when she needed them. Right away? Or after a second interview? Either way, I needed to contact them and ask them to be the references.) I left a message saying I had a question, but never heard back.

On Friday afternoon, after waiting on pins and needles all week long about this, I called after 4 and left another message: "Just following up, letting you know I'm still interested, etc." No call back.

It's now Tuesday. Still no word.

What's the protocol? I'm afraid if I keep calling and leaving messages, I'll either sound like I'm desperate or a pest. On the other hand, "they" say you should keep in contact so you appear interested in the job, and the interviewer is supposed to remember you. Or something like that.

Thoughts? Do I call again or wait it out?

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
Don't call again.

If she was going to offer you the job she would have called by Feb. 24, just as she said they would. This radio silence is their way of saying, "Thanks, but no thanks. We don't have the balls to pick up the phone and say it to you, so we're taking the chickenshit route."

It's rude but it's overwhelmingly common these days.

Good luck with the job hunt, though!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
iRock, I hope for my sake you're wrong, but I have sinking suspician you're not wrong.

If so, then this is the second time this has happened to me. The first was an interview two months ago from at a temp company from Mrs. "48 Hours Turnaround Time," that is, she'd let me know after 48 hours--as per company policy--one way or another if I at least had an interview with the company.

Bullshit.

I'm beginning to think I'm more likely to get an agent and get published with a huge advance than to ever find a job.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think I'm more likely to get an agent and get published with a huge advance than to ever find a job.

Me, too. I've been job-hunting since October. No phone calls at all, no interviews. Today I saw a "job counselor" who totally depressed me.

If you want me, I'll be practicing my naked juggling act.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you. I had nine unsuccessful job interviews in a row, and many of them didn't bother even to reject me. I spent an unbelievable amount of time, money and energy chasing jobs I didn't want. Jacked it in a month ago to focus on freelancing instead.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't call again. Twice is plenty.

^ Indeed.

I worked in HR for a while - there could be a number of reasons they haven't responded yet.

In the meantime, keep looking and stay positive. ;)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I like to stay hopeful and somewhat positive, although it has been two and a half weeks since the interview. I can safely assume this job probably has thousands of applications, and who knows how many interviews they're conducting. Am I the best fit? I don't know, I probably have similar or less experience than many of the candidates.

Still, it'd be nice to know one way or the other.

In the meantime, I'm still searching. I have two more unemployment checks left, then I go on extended. By April, it will have been for one year.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping good things for you Allen.
The job market sucks almost as bad as housing values. I'm hoping someone recognizes their need for you to be hired.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
My experience is that employers at a general rule no longer bother telling you that you've failed to get a post. I've driven 300 miles for an interview and never heard from them again. I take silence as 'no' and file it udner 'forget about it'. I freelance these days and I fail to get so many posts that I can honestly say I feel nothing when I don't get one. Try, get rejected, move on.

Pretty much like writing, now I think about it.