Darcie Chan phenomenon - 1 novel - half mln sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Her book "The Mill River Recluse" has hit the NYT list, and has sold 400K copies thus far.

What makes her a herald of a new shift in my opinion, is that she is the very first self-pub author that I've heard of, who has made it huge not through relentless churning out of serials, but through one, apparently quality book.

That's major, in my opinion. That's pretty major. That just went and proved and disproved a whole bunch of stuff.

oaktree

Registered
Reaction score
I read the WSJ article about Darcie a few months ago, and found it very interesting. In particular, she said she got a lot of mileage out of a paid review from Kirkus Indie.

I've read a number of other writers say not to bother with paid reviews (in fact, I've read several posts on AW where writers have stated that they would never read a book that featured a paid review).

Thoughts on this?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It's an interesting story sure, but then Chan was also in the situaton where she could afford to pay for a host of ads and paid reviews etc that most SP authors can't afford to do. The majority of SP authors have to rely on free marketing and a high productivity.

That said, 400k sales is amazing, and fair dues to her. I like sucess stories.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
That's major, in my opinion. That's pretty major. That just went and proved and disproved a whole bunch of stuff.

How does one isolated success disprove anything? The majority of highly successful self-publishers still rely on a catalog of work.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
How does one isolated success disprove anything? . . . .
One exception is enough to disprove an absolute statement. E.g., all it takes is one black swan to disprove that all swans are white. All it takes is one successful one-book independent author to disprove that success is impossible for a one-book independent author.

--Ken

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Her book "The Mill River Recluse" has hit the NYT list, and has sold 400K copies thus far.

What makes her a herald of a new shift in my opinion, is that she is the very first self-pub author that I've heard of, who has made it huge not through relentless churning out of serials, but through one, apparently quality book.

It's inevitable. Most of the stuff in the bookstore window display suffers from a sameness, and that's putting it as PC as one can.

The shift going on now is nothing short of revolutionary.

There will be winners and losers. There will be writers who caught the boat early and became the powerhouse brands of the future. There will be others who wasted the pioneer era hoping for a contract and a three week stint on the B&N shelves.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
It's inevitable. Most of the stuff in the bookstore window display suffers from a sameness, and that's putting it as PC as one can.

After reading the story's description I fail to see how it's less same-y than what's already out there. It seems to me that she's done one thing: written a book people want to read (which most self-pubbers fail to do), a book that's similar enough to what's out there that readers of the genre will probably pick it up and take a look.

If that's revolutionary, then I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
After reading the story's description I fail to see how it's less same-y than what's already out there. It seems to me that she's done one thing: written a book people want to read (which most self-pubbers fail to do), a book that's similar enough to what's out there that readers of the genre will probably pick it up and take a look.

If that's revolutionary, then I do not think that word means what you think it means.

The revolution is in the medium and the changing business model- for now.

Soon enough the revolution in content will come as the new generation begins to look on bookstores and newspapers as stuff for old folks.

It took a little time for Herr Guttenberg's machine to turn the world upside down, but nobody could have stopped it from happening.

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
The revolution is in the medium and the changing business model- for now.

Soon enough the revolution in content will come as the new generation begins to look on bookstores and newspapers as stuff for old folks.

It took a little time for Herr Guttenberg's machine to turn the world upside down, but nobody could have stopped it from happening.
Revolution? What revolution.

Hearing a song on an a vinyl record and hearing it on an iPod has no bearing whatsoever on what types of music people like and will listen to.

It doesn't matter if your story is printed in a dusty old tome or readily available for download to your shiny, new electronic device. What matters is THE STORY.

If it's something people want to read, they're gonna read it. Focusing on whether or not it's on kindle or in a bookstore is a fool's errand in my opinion. Focus on your writing and put out the best product you can. The rest is gravy.

Bottom line: All that promo work wouldn't have mattered a whit if her story wasn't good enough.

Also, even many of the best, most widely acclaimed classics of literature garnered multiple rejections before they finally saw print - one way or another. So, nothing new in that regard either.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
dondomat:
That just went and proved and disproved a whole bunch of stuff.

Like Research Guy said, I'm not sure that it's disproved anything other than absolute statements, but then we already knew that it was possible for self-published authors to be successful and that it was possible for self-published authors who go down the epublishing route to be successful. We can already point to William P Young, Amanda Hocking, John Locke and the other names listed in the WSJ article. The point remains though that it is still difficult to achieve and can be expensive and for me, the most telling part of the article was this:

WSJ Article:
Thirty authors have sold more than 100,000 copies of their books through Amazon's Kindle self-publishing program, and a dozen have sold more than 200,000 copies, according to Amazon.

So out of 133,000 self-published books from last year, only 30 sold more than 100k copies on Amazon and only 12 sold more than 200k.

That cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be called a trend. At best it's an indicator that it's possible, but you still have to have a good book and work bloody hard to hit those figures.

All power to Darcie Chan who has done something phenomenal and I wish her the very best of success, but she had the money to spend on the advertising and marketing she did sapped her and it's noticeable that she started off by pricing it at 99c. People are more willing to spend a buck on something than they are to fork out $5 plus.

oaktree:
I've read a number of other writers say not to bother with paid reviews (in fact, I've read several posts on AW where writers have stated that they would never read a book that featured a paid review).

It depends on what publication the review is in. For example, I would trust a positive Kirkus review more than I would a paid review from a random review site that only exists to take money for reviews. That's because I know Kirkus has a good reputation and isn't only looking to take money from authors.

Nathaniel Bell:
The shift going on now is nothing short of revolutionary.

I agree that there is a shift to ebooks, which will change some of the structures in publishing. However it's telling that the main publishers all still make the bulk of their revenue from printed books, with ebooks accounting for between 10% and 30% of their revenue. There was an article in The Bookseller a few months ago where some publishers were talking about that figure levelling out and holding steady (although I think that others such as Harper Collins were reporting slow increases).

What epublishing has done is essentially digitalised the slush pile. People who have tried the agent/commercial publisher route are now more incentivised to give self-publishing a go, which is great. But they won't all make a financial success out of it and the more people who rush to electronically publish, the harder it is for an individual author to find ways to differentiate themselves from the rest of the herd.

FWIW I think that Darcie Chan was very smart in that regard by looking to get credible reviews from the trade press and ebook reviewers because it helped to give her legitimacy in the marketplace.

Nathaniel Bell:
There will be writers who caught the boat early and became the powerhouse brands of the future. There will be others who wasted the pioneer era hoping for a contract and a three week stint on the B&N shelves.

Actually those authors who "wasted the pioneer era" by seeking a commercial publisher will have made an advance and gotten themselves more attention from potential readers, which helps them to establish a following in the event that they later decide to go down the self-publishing route. How do you think J. A. Konrath got so big so quickly? He was a mid list author with a good following from people who knew the quality of his work so there was a market there that he could pitch to directly. That's what makes him a smart bloke.

Nathaniel Bell:

Contact lenses and laser surgery didn't put spectacle makers out of business and book stores are still an important venue to promote authors, establish links with local communities and help people find books.

Plus there's the fact that Western populations are aging so there's going to be a big market of retirees out there with a lot of retirement time and cash to spend and you should never underestimate the market for retirees looking for ways to fill their time.

MM

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
So out of 133,000 self-published books from last year, only 30 sold more than 100k copies on Amazon and only 12 sold more than 200k.MM

I think this should rather be interpreted as 30 authors and 12 authors, not books; I think each of them sold a bunch of serial installments in that time frame, not just one book, that's why I was stunned by Darcie Chan's success - because it was one book, not a string of serial installments.

What epublishing has done is essentially digitalised the slush pile. People who have tried the agent/commercial publisher route are now more incentivised to give self-publishing a go, which is great. MM

And unlike the players in this digitalised slush pile, the big publishers and agents also have connections. In the west, 'having connections' is a profession - from political lobbyists whom you pay to talk to politicians about your issues, to agents of actors and musicians and writers, who know the right people. Their profession is knowing the right people.

So, with self-publishing, anything appears to be possible now, but still it seems a better deal to go for corporate success, which in its highest form means translations into scores of languages, franchise deals, and stuff. A diverse monetary flow from many directions, even if you sell not millions, but 'mere' thousands.

Plus there's the fact that Western populations are aging so there's going to be a big market of retirees out there with a lot of retirement time and cash to spend and you should never underestimate the market for retirees looking for ways to fill their time. MM

Right, and in Japan and Russia and Eastern Europe as well. So the three and a half markets look set to be: 1) school and college aged youths; 2) retirees; 3) office plankton; and a possible 4) of stay at home moms and dads.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
dondomat:
I think this should rather be interpreted as 30 authors and 12 authors, not books;

Fair point, well made.

dondomat:
that's why I was stunned by Darcie Chan's success - because it was one book, not a string of serial installments.

Agreed. What Darcie has done is incredible and it seems to have taken her a lot of time and effort to achieve it.

MM

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Revolution? What revolution.

Hearing a song on an a vinyl record and hearing it on an iPod has no bearing whatsoever on what types of music people like and will listen to.

Yeah sure it does, because the change in format has cut the distributor and producer out of the loop. Bands that couldn't get signed because some AR exec "didn't hear a single" can now direct release to the public and get a huge following on Youtube. The harder it is to produce and copy content the more cautious the gatekeepers become. Oh -and the more arrogant too.

An exactly analagous thing is happening with books. It's almost like the 19th century when novels were sold by subscription before they were written. Even Mark Twain did this- and he was popular. It was a bit like POD. Subscription and low run self pub allowed some very controversial material to see the light of day, James Joyce comes to mind, for one.

Eventually the technology will change the content. This has been happening since the beginning of media.

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Actually those authors who "wasted the pioneer era" by seeking a commercial publisher will have made an advance and gotten themselves more attention from potential readers, which helps them to establish a following in the event that they later decide to go down the self-publishing route. How do you think J. A. Konrath got so big so quickly? He was a mid list author with a good following from people who knew the quality of his work so there was a market there that he could pitch to directly. That's what makes him a smart bloke.

Contact lenses and laser surgery didn't put spectacle makers out of business and book stores are still an important venue to promote authors, establish links with local communities and help people find books.

Plus there's the fact that Western populations are aging so there's going to be a big market of retirees out there with a lot of retirement time and cash to spend and you should never underestimate the market for retirees looking for ways to fill their time.

You're right about a great many things. Sure bookstores will persist. In New York we still have vinyl record stores. We still have candle stores for that matter. But they're hanging on, not growing. Big difference.

We have reached an evolutionary Choke Point.

The new technology came along at the same time as a global economic unraveling plus rising commodity prices. Paper is a commodity. So is the fossil fuel that gets paper books into bookstores. Twenty five dollars for a name brand hardcover, ten dollars for the ebook of that hardcover.... or $2.99 for some indie author hawking his ebook right next to Anne Rice. Plus the indie guy has a snazzy blog and Anne has a cheezy website that hasn't changed in ten years. This is what military planners call a huge frigging hole in your perimeter.

Do you know what I see when I go into Barnes & Noble? I see a bunch of people sitting in the cafe and fooling around with computers.Clearly people are using the bookstore as a showroom to look at stuff they will buy online.

And that is why Barnes & Noble is down to less than 700 stores and shrinking. Think of that: less than 700 chain store outlets to serve a nation of 300 million people. Most Americans don't live within 200 miles of a bookstore!

Numbers, numbers, numbers, businessmen care about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The harder it is to produce and copy content the more cautious the gatekeepers become. Oh -and the more arrogant too.

I know a number of agents and publishers who are, I assume, the gatekeepers you refer to. A couple of them are arrogant, but then you'll find arrogance in every walk of life. But most of them care passionately about the books they work on and aren't arrogant at all. I think you're misrepresenting publishing people here, and I don't think it's fair.

Eventually the technology will change the content. This has been happening since the beginning of media.

Change has always happened in publishing. Technology changes all the time, and publishing--and the books it produces--reflects that. If you look at the books that we have now they're hugely different to the books that were published just 25 years ago. Change happens. Businesses--including publishing--adapt.

The new technology came along at the same time as a global economic unraveling plus rising commodity prices. Paper is a commodity. So is the fossil fuel that gets paper books into bookstores.

E-readers and computers are also affected by rising commodity prices. They also require fuel to get them to the shops where they're sold, and to the people who buy them online. Just because e-books knock paper out of the equation doesn't mean that there's no more transport required, no more materials involved in the manufacturing of things required for readers to read the books they've bought, and so on.

Twenty five dollars for a namebrand hardcover. Ten dollars for the ebook of that hardcover.... or $2.99 for some indie author hawking his ebook right next to Anne Rice.

Except that books aren't interchangeable in the way you're suggesting. You can't comparison-shop with them the way you can with pasta. One brand of spaghetti is pretty much the same as the next; if you can buy brand A spaghetti for half the price of brand B of course you're going to buy brand A. But people don't buy books in that way: if I go into a bookshop looking for a specific book by Patrick Gale, I wouldn't buy a Terry Pratchett instead just because it was half price. I certainly wouldn't buy a self-published author for a quarter of the price just because his book was significantly cheaper. I might buy it because it was better--but that's a whole different argument.

And that is why Barnes & Noble is down to less than 700 stores and shrinking. Think of that: less than 700 chain store outlets to serve a nation of 300 million people. Most Americans don't live within 200 miles of a bookstore!

And so do businesswomen.

Trade publishers are businesses too, don't forget. Funded by the readers who buy the books they publish. Although what any of this has to do with Darcie Chan's great success, I'm not sure. Let's swing back on-topic.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
One exception is enough to disprove an absolute statement. E.g., all it takes is one black swan to disprove that all swans are white. All it takes is one successful one-book independent author to disprove that success is impossible for a one-book independent author.

--Ken

Has anyone been going around making such a statement?

Even though people make generalized statements like, "Self-published authors do best when they have multiple titles," most people understand that this means that there may be exceptions. And even given that, most of the discussion I see here on AW is very particular to avoid confusion that might arise from such a statement.

I've never seen anyone saying that the only possible way for a self-published author to succeed is to have multiple books. I've just seen a lot of people note that more books exponentially increased their success.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
You're right about a great many things. Sure bookstores will persist. In New York we still have vinyl record stores. We still have candle stores for that matter. But they're hanging on, not growing. Big difference.

The new technology came along at the same time as a global economic unraveling plus rising commodity prices. Paper is a commodity. So is the fossil fuel that gets paper books into bookstores. Twenty five dollars for a name brand hardcover, ten dollars for the ebook of that hardcover.... or $2.99 for some indie author hawking his ebook right next to Anne Rice. Plus the indie guy has a snazzy blog and Anne has a cheezy website that hasn't changed in ten years. This is what military planners call a huge frigging hole in your perimeter.

Do you know what I see when I go into Barnes & Noble? I see a bunch of people sitting in the cafe and fooling around with computers.Clearly people are using the bookstore as a showroom to look at stuff they will buy online.

Hi Nathaniel,

Let me give you a look at things from my perspective. I work in trade publishing, and in fact my job title is Digital Editor, which means I am employed to try to bring us in to the 21st century. We have been, admittedly, quite slow to start the transition. There are some good reasons for that; I'll get to those, but let's just look at the fin-de-siecle business model that existed, and still exists for the most part, for print.

Part of your analysis is about how digital businesses will outcompete us on logistics - print and distribution costs - by eliminating them entirely. The thing is, those are relatively low costs. We know that paper is cheap: it accounts for about 10% of the cover price of a book. Printing books and punting them around the country is not one of the principal reasons why publishers exist.

We exist, essentially, to do two things.

The first is to purchase services efficiently. An editor can edit and manage the publication of, say, six novels a year, while also retaining responsibility for the backlist performance of her authors - dozens and dozens of books. The publisher can get all this expertise and attention for a couple of thousand pounds a month and be fairly well assured of reliable, consistent performance. Freelance costs would be much, much higher. The same goes for your cover designers, typographers, accountants, lawyers, PR people, marketeers, web designers and ebook conversion gurus. It's much more efficient to buy their skilled labour in bulk, and plus they all get to sit in the same building and talk face-to-face now and again.

Our second main raison-d'etre is to manage risk. We pay advances to writers and take on all the costs detailed above. The author pays out nothing. If the book fails to sell a single copy, the author still walks away with his money, and the publisher is left out of pocket.

A lot of books don't make money. A few make a lot of money. Our top 5 authors last year contributed 80% of our revenue. It's a risky business, publishing a book; a publishing company is supposed to spread that risk over a lot of bets, and generate enough of an edge to cover the losing bets with a little profit on top.

That profit is not enormous. If you average it out across everything we publish, I think we're taking about an equal share with our authors. The rest of the money pays for the actual work of polishing, packaging, marketing and selling the book.

For every indie guy with a snazzy blog, and for every indie success story selling a million copies in a manner we would struggle, just now, to emulate; for each one of them, there are a hundred indie guys with cheesy blogs, and a thousand indie failures selling no copies in a manner that is costing them time and money. We are there to provide some insurance against those risks, and to guarantee that the author walks away with money in their pocket.

Reasonable people can disagree about precisely how much risk, in any given contract, each partner in this relationship ought to take on. But then, that's what agents are for: deciding how much of the back end an author is willing to pay for access to top-notch editing, design, etc.

The thing is: neither of those functions really disappear along with the logistics of making and selling physical objects. You'll notice that Amazon is hiring publishers - making little publishing companies, gatekeepers and all, inside itself. That's because our business model is still pertinent: shaving 10% off our costs doesn't appreciably change anything.

I get that there are niches we've failed to exploit. The Amanda Hocking episode was instructive. I feel that, in hindsight, ebooks implied the return of pulp. You don't have to worry about the selection in the rack at the bus station, or feel embarrassed by a lurid cover; you get your books instantly, and for less than the cost of a sandwich, and there are plenty of them. That terrific mutant genre, paranormal romance, also comes in to play, welding a crossover audience together from all sorts of disparate readerships. There was a vast sucking pressure we weren't aware of until, like a bicycle tyre dipped in a bucket of water, money began to bubble out of the puncture in our business model. I think my metaphor just exploded; sorry.

(Amanda Hocking eventually decided it was worth having a trade publisher so she could obtain skilled publishing services more efficiently, and free up her time to be a writer.)

Anyway. Maybe we can't compete in that market - the pulp fiction market, the 99p thriller market. It's possible there's not enough room in that price point to pay our wages. On the other hand, there's not a whole lot of room in there to buy a copyedit or a proofread: it's a risky bet for an author, too. So I think it has indeed opened up a new tier of publishing: for books that we wouldn't taken a chance on. They're cheaper than ours, and there are a hell of a lot of them. But I think it's a new tier, not the barbarians at the gate. There are plenty of ways we can differentiate our books. (One of those is gatekeeping. The consumer will have to reinvent us gatekeeper if we ever disappear: we're too useful, economically.)

In ten years time, the book trade will look very different, structurally. However, I predict that publishing skills, and publishing experts, will be in demand at about the same level as now. We might find that we work for editorial services companies, or for retailers, or tech companies, or indeed good old-fashioned trade publishers - print isn't going away any time soon; but we'll still be doing largely the same things in largely the same ways, if not the same offices.

ETA: Ah, I never got to the good reasons for being slow to hit the 21st Century. Briefly, we were a business whose only asset, beyond its people, were the rights to make bundles of paper available to the general public with certain forms of words inscribed on them. We stamped these forms of words on to hot metal or transparent film and ran off copies on mechanical presses.

Ebooks come along. Suddenly, we wonder if we have ebook rights to our books. Often the answer is no. Sometimes it's yes. Most often, the contract is amazingly vague and useless. Dozens of lawyers and agents toil day and night to resolve these issues. Finally, after a lot of paperwork and emails, we have agreement. Let's make some ebooks! But, no, the book exists essentially as a photographic negative and a bunch of archive copies. So we retype it, or (pace Medievalist) we scan it and OCR it, and there's a whole new round of proofing and correcting... All this takes time and money.

We're getting nimbler, I assure you. It's just that we're carrying a lot of valuable, but delicate, baggage.

Last edited:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Please do not distort by ignoring context. My post was specifically and exclusively in response to this: "How does one isolated success disprove anything? . . . ."

--Ken

I wasn't ignoring context; just pointing out I didn't see the original statement, in this thread or elsewhere. I don't see (and have never seen, as most people who go around making such all-or-nothing statements here on AW get striped down pretty quickly) the statement that under no circumstances can a self-published author can succeed with only one book.

What most people I've seen here have been very careful to say is that most self-publishers succeed best with a stable of titles.

What this shows is that for some, it is possible to succeed with only one. Kudos to Chan. And the book looks good--I think I'll buy it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
So out of 133,000 self-published books from last year, only 30 sold more than 100k copies on Amazon and only 12 sold more than 200k.

I just wanted to clarify something with this: That comes to .02%. Note the decimal place. Point zero two. Percent.

When people are considering self-publishing and having dreams of hitting it big and using Hocking and Konrath and these folks as examples of proof that this is the new way to go and how to succeed, I wish they would keep in mind that number. It would sure as hell help to keep expectations realistic and also maybe help people see that this isn't a giant new wave overtaking the current dinosaur system. I also wonder how many are people like Konrath who had followings in print before they ventured to self-publishing (and back again, if I've heard correctly).

I'm super proud of Darcie Chan and it sounds like she's done it right and well, but this doesn't mean people might not be more successful with several books or that people in general won't be this successful or that the publishing industry is collapsing in on itself.

And again, for those who may not know me, this isn't to say that self-publishing is "bad" or a terrible idea or that you're doomed to failure. Under the right circumstances it can do well. I just hope people will be realistic about the situation. It's no different from a commercially published author expecting to sell millions because Stephen King did it.

JSSchley--it isn't so much that it goes against the grain to say that an author can succeed with one quality book as it goes against the current advice given by many self-publishing gurus currently on the web.

Right now advice tends to say that authors should put out many books as fast as possible, with no more than a month between releases to gain an audience. The idea is that you sell more books over several copies (because each book is selling, common sense there), that it makes you look more serious, and that if you wait a long time readers will forget about you and have moved on to the next big thing.

This also means an emphasis on speed over quality, which is something that you've heard us repeatedly question here. I think dondomat was trying to suggest that this assumption is faulty. One case obviously doesn't show that, but it does show that there is more than one path to success, which has always been the case.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Sorry, I'm not making my point. My standard position is very much that oodles and oodles of "books as fast as you can" is potentially difficult and often sacrifices the quality of the books, even if it does lead to more sales. I'm in complete agreement with you there, Kaitie.

But I read ResearchGuy as commenting that this proves the absolute statement isn't true, and I didn't see a soul in this thread making that kind of "You must publish a bunch of books to succeed or ELSE" kind of statement. In fact, I've rarely seen that kind of stance taken on AW. I think most people are very careful to say things like "most of the time" or "in most cases." And like you...

I'm super proud of Darcie Chan and it sounds like she's done it right and well, but this doesn't mean people might not be more successful with several books or that people in general won't be this successful or that the publishing industry is collapsing in on itself.

...I think that's still generally going to be the case for most self-published authors, even though they must be vigilant about the speed vs. quality issue.

Chan's success shows that there's more than one potential path. And as a fan of good writing and quality publishing practices no matter how someone publishes, I'm happy about that.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nathaniel,

Let me give you a look at things from my perspective. I work in trade publishing, and in fact my job title is Digital Editor, which means I am employed to try to bring us in to the 21st century. We have been, admittedly, quite slow to start the transition. There are some good reasons for that; I'll get to those, but let's just look at the fin-de-siecle business model that existed, and still exists for the most part, for print.

Part of your analysis is about how digital businesses will outcompete us on logistics - print and distribution costs - by eliminating them entirely. The thing is, those are relatively low costs. We know that paper is cheap: it accounts for about 10% of the cover price of a book. Printing books and punting them around the country is not one of the principal reasons why publishers exist.

We exist, essentially, to do two things.

The first is to purchase services efficiently. An editor can edit and manage the publication of, say, six novels a year, while also retaining responsibility for the backlist performance of her authors - dozens and dozens of books. The publisher can get all this expertise and attention for a couple of thousand pounds a month and be fairly well assured of reliable, consistent performance. Freelance costs would be much, much higher. The same goes for your cover designers, typographers, accountants, lawyers, PR people, marketeers, web designers and ebook conversion gurus. It's much more efficient to buy their skilled labour in bulk, and plus they all get to sit in the same building and talk face-to-face now and again.

Our second main raison-d'etre is to manage risk. We pay advances to writers and take on all the costs detailed above. The author pays out nothing. If the book fails to sell a single copy, the author still walks away with his money, and the publisher is left out of pocket.

A lot of books don't make money. A few make a lot of money. Our top 5 authors last year contributed 80% of our revenue. It's a risky business, publishing a book; a publishing company is supposed to spread that risk over a lot of bets, and generate enough of an edge to cover the losing bets with a little profit on top.

That profit is not enormous. If you average it out across everything we publish, I think we're taking about an equal share with our authors. The rest of the money pays for the actual work of polishing, packaging, marketing and selling the book.

For every indie guy with a snazzy blog, and for every indie success story selling a million copies in a manner we would struggle, just now, to emulate; for each one of them, there are a hundred indie guys with cheesy blogs, and a thousand indie failures selling no copies in a manner that is costing them time and money. We are there to provide some insurance against those risks, and to guarantee that the author walks away with money in their pocket.

Reasonable people can disagree about precisely how much risk, in any given contract, each partner in this relationship ought to take on. But then, that's what agents are for: deciding how much of the back end an author is willing to pay for access to top-notch editing, design, etc.

The thing is: neither of those functions really disappear along with the logistics of making and selling physical objects. You'll notice that Amazon is hiring publishers - making little publishing companies, gatekeepers and all, inside itself. That's because our business model is still pertinent: shaving 10% off our costs doesn't appreciably change anything.

I get that there are niches we've failed to exploit. The Amanda Hocking episode was instructive. I feel that, in hindsight, ebooks implied the return of pulp. You don't have to worry about the selection in the rack at the bus station, or feel embarrassed by a lurid cover; you get your books instantly, and for less than the cost of a sandwich, and there are plenty of them. That terrific mutant genre, paranormal romance, also comes in to play, welding a crossover audience together from all sorts of disparate readerships. There was a vast sucking pressure we weren't aware of until, like a bicycle tyre dipped in a bucket of water, money began to bubble out of the puncture in our business model. I think my metaphor just exploded; sorry.

(Amanda Hocking eventually decided it was worth having a trade publisher so she could obtain skilled publishing services more efficiently, and free up her time to be a writer.)

Anyway. Maybe we can't compete in that market - the pulp fiction market, the 99p thriller market. It's possible there's not enough room in that price point to pay our wages. On the other hand, there's not a whole lot of room in there to buy a copyedit or a proofread: it's a risky bet for an author, too. So I think it has indeed opened up a new tier of publishing: for books that we wouldn't taken a chance on. They're cheaper than ours, and there are a hell of a lot of them. But I think it's a new tier, not the barbarians at the gate. There are plenty of ways we can differentiate our books. (One of those is gatekeeping. The consumer will have to reinvent us gatekeeper if we ever disappear: we're too useful, economically.)

In ten years time, the book trade will look very different, structurally. However, I predict that publishing skills, and publishing experts, will be in demand at about the same level as now. We might find that we work for editorial services companies, or for retailers, or tech companies, or indeed good old-fashioned trade publishers - print isn't going away any time soon; but we'll still be doing largely the same things in largely the same ways, if not the same offices.

ETA: Ah, I never got to the good reasons for being slow to hit the 21st Century. Briefly, we were a business whose only asset, beyond its people, were the rights to make bundles of paper available to the general public with certain forms of words inscribed on them. We stamped these forms of words on to hot metal or transparent film and ran off copies on mechanical presses.

Ebooks come along. Suddenly, we wonder if we have ebook rights to our books. Often the answer is no. Sometimes it's yes. Most often, the contract is amazingly vague and useless. Dozens of lawyers and agents toil day and night to resolve these issues. Finally, after a lot of paperwork and emails, we have agreement. Let's make some ebooks! But, no, the book exists essentially as a photographic negative and a bunch of archive copies. So we retype it, or (pace Medievalist) we scan it and OCR it, and there's a whole new round of proofing and correcting... All this takes time and money.

We're getting nimbler, I assure you. It's just that we're carrying a lot of valuable, but delicate, baggage.

Thank you for an interesting and thoughtful reply. We are of course in pioneer days and nobody knows what is going to happen. No doubt many rockets will blow up on the launch pad before all the bugs are worked out.

Sure, releasing your own books digitally is a crapshoot. Only rebels and entrepreneurs need apply. People laughed at Mick Jagger when he quit London School of Economics to sing in a bar band. Certainly he missed a stimulating career spent auditing corporate balance sheets, but then high reward usually comes only at high risk.

I don't think physical books will ever vanish. If I want to read about Rembrandt I'd prefer a large hardbound book with vivid color plates, not a napkin sized LCD screen.

Still, Tuffglass displays and printable pixel technologies may finally kill the cellulose book, but they are years away.

The novel however, being the most abstract of forms, was made for the Kindle. It's hard to see why black and white paper is better than black and white pixels.

Anyway, if the Waterloo moment comes at all I think it will happen when a few big name thriller jocks like King and Patterson decide they can become billionaires making 70% royalties and ordering their editing and marketing services a la carte, for a one time fee, and never sign a publishing contract again.Who knows, maybe Amazon will decide to put the hammer down by offering 90% royalties for the next King or Clancy epic. Amazon would still make money doing this and the effect on the industry would be thermo-nuclear, to put it bluntly.

I used to be a stockbroker. If I was on the phone pitching today, I would tell my clients to load up on Amazon and Apple, but sell any conventional media companies from print to TV. And if Amazon and Apple get so huge the govt. regulators force a breakup on monopoly grounds this would be a bonanza for shareholders.

You may be right and I may be a pie in the sky dreamer but that's how I'm betting and it doesn't make me even a little nervous.

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I feel that, in hindsight, ebooks implied the return of pulp.

Amen. Genre-wise paranormal/urban fant was the great spec pulp swing back, with reshuffled gender stratification, with the cheap ebook it also found its lower* end carrier.

*'Lower' end in price sense, not holier then thou sense.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It's an interesting story sure, but then Chan was also in the situaton where she could afford to pay for a host of ads and paid reviews etc that most SP authors can't afford to do. The majority of SP authors have to rely on free marketing and a high productivity.

That said, 400k sales is amazing, and fair dues to her. I like sucess stories.

This is a good point. Either these writers started out with a very impressive publicity-fanbase-readership platform which had been in place for quite some time, or, in this case, paid for several ads. And that Kirkus add was NOT cheap at all. That would discourage many of us--the add cost, I mean.

I'm sitting on eight finished, polished novels at the minute and I've been teetering toward self-publishing. But one thing I realized was, is that I had to have at least a significant following via either a popular blog or website. I'm putting those things in place first. You can't step into E-pubbing blind and expect to earn this type of income out of the gate. Fer sure.

Tri

Status
Not open for further replies.