PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in an Islam sub-forum in Religions

MacAllister
02-28-2012, 06:49 AM
I've had an inquiry about the possibility of building a Religions genre subforum for Islam -- so I'm looking to take the temperature of the membership.

Sound off, folks! Does the idea a room for writing about/thinking about Islam appeal? Do we have enough demand to make the use of space work?

HarryHoskins
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I think it's a great idea. :)

If I recall correctly, people who are Muslim make up a significant proportion of the planets population so it seems sensible to reflect this on the board. Furthermore, it should encourage communication and understanding between Muslims and Non-Muslims and generally help Muslim or non-Muslim writers to write better and more informed work.

Sure, you'll doubtless get some problems -- but I think the pro's outweigh the cons. :)

BenPanced
02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Don't see why not. We're here to learn from each other, right?

Ari Meermans
02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree with Harry and Ben. Religion is a large part of any culture and of its history, art, and literature. The ability to discuss these things with someone with first-hand knowledge in a safe environment such as AW would be quite an opportunity.

Hugh_Mann
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't think anyone on this forum would oppose it.

Marya
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't know that I could contribute much to a forum on Islam, but one of the women in my writing group here in South Africa comes from a Cape Muslim family.

She writes fascinating stories, moving and at times comic, about her family's pilgrimages to Mecca every three years, as well as historical fiction about her 18th-century ancestors (imams) sent to the Cape Colony by the Dutch East Indies Company as political prisoners from Indonesia who were then imprisoned in the Slave Lodge.

I'd like to hear from and read other Muslim writers.

backslashbaby
02-29-2012, 04:14 AM
I certainly support it. I'll be a listener, but it sounds great to me.

BunnyMaz
02-29-2012, 05:08 AM
I can't see why anyone would object to this. Us Pagans have a section all to ourselves and we make up a far smaller percentage of the world than Muslims. Could be a great opportunity for all of us!

KatieJ
02-29-2012, 05:09 AM
I think it's a great idea. Speaking as a Pagan, I feel kind of guilty that we don't use our area as much as we could. The more the merrier, we can deal with any problems together.

KatieJ
02-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Bunny and I posted almost simultaneously, the same thing!!

Fins Left
02-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Since one of my WIPs has a muslim character, I'd LOVE it if you did open up such a section. I'd love to get a better understanding of the basics of the religion AND the culture.

veinglory
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Sure, it seems odd not to have one.

DeleyanLee
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
That would be great, though I'd be more of a lurker than a contributor. Islam's one of those religions I'd like to learn more about from actual believers rather than books.

My only wonder is: Do we have enough members interested in participating to make it worth it?

Cathy C
02-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Sure. Sounds like a great idea. :)

Mr Flibble
03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
I've had an inquiry about the possibility of building a Religions genre subforum for Islam -- so I'm looking to take the temperature of the membership.

Tbh it's always seemed odd there wasn't one (I mean you have a pagan one and we're,er, not prevalent. And not an Islam one? Given how widespread it is? ???)

L.C. Blackwell
03-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Go for it. :)

MacAllister
03-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Tbh it's always seemed odd there wasn't one (I mean you have a pagan one and we're,er, not prevalent. And not an Islam one? Given how widespread it is? ???)

You know, I actually had to go and look, because I sort of thought we DID have one already.

Well, we have one now.

Thanks, folks, for taking the time to weigh in.

BunnyMaz
03-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, we have one now.

Woo!

HarryHoskins
03-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Excellent stuff. :)

Looking forward to reading and learning. I was tempted to make the first thread in there, but held back.

Here's (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=232) where it'll be at. :)

fredXgeorge
03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Great idea, will be very interesting!

CharacterInWhite
03-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I would peruse such a forum to just learn stuff through osmosis.

Snitchcat
03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Never mind my question; I found it. :tongue.

Glasses do help after all! :D

Sunwords
09-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Thank you for offering this sub-forum - it was one of the reasons I registered here.

Little1
09-29-2012, 05:01 AM
I think it's awesome we have one. I am not Islamic but a Christian. I think it's good to be loving to one another and not having one while a lot of people are Islamic in my opinion is not right. I will be glad to read and learn from there posts :)

Et - what sun said. I feel like AW is a plaice we can talk freely. As long as said talking is respectful :)

shakeysix
09-29-2012, 05:26 AM
My minor is Spanish Lit. Islam has always fascinated me. --s6

Sunwords
09-29-2012, 07:42 AM
It is a little bit quiet there - I hope we will change that.

Purple Rose
09-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Yes! Can't believe I missed this thread which was started while I was living in Bali - part of Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim population and whose citizens bombed (Hindu) Bali twice, the first killing more than 200 people.

Yes, it's a great idea because we can only offer our opinions and in the process, foster understanding of one another's religion.

ETA: I have a Muslim living in my home; she's been here for nearly 12 years. My country, Singapore, is surrounded by Indonesia and Malaysia, Muslim countries. My views have been shaped by peace-loving Muslims.

Miyaka
10-03-2012, 01:54 AM
I read all types of genres from all types of people but I also read books written by Muslim authors that are not about religion. Human interest stories,fiction, so on and so forth but I personally do not read about religion specifically anymore.

Sunwords
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Miyka, that is sort of what I wish to write - and eventually publish. Not books about religion, but I read so many real good books - like Noah Gordon's or Faye Kellerman's - with interesting jewish personalities, who actually live their religion, that I regret deeply not to find this with muslim MCs. Most of the time, a muslim MC is one who is westernized, has none or little knowledge about his/her own faith - or is a terrorist.
Most of the works of muslim authors that get translated do not have MCs that really live their religion - the more critical the author views Islam, the bigger the chance his/her book might be translated.

Purple Rose
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Most of the works of muslim authors that get translated do not have MCs that really live their religion - the more critical the author views Islam, the bigger the chance his/her book might be translated.

This may not be true of Salman Rushdie's characters. I have tried so many times to read his books but just cannot get past the first few chapters. I believe he writes realistically about them in relation to their situations and locations. I think the same can be said about Tahir Shah especially in The Caliph's House where he writes about the various people in various positions in Morocco.

I just finished reading The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan and to me, it is a very sympathetic view of the Palestinian conflict. I mean, a Jewish writer that is able to write with empathy for the Palestinians is really quite remarkable.

So no, I do not agree a book has to be critical of Islam or show Muslims as "bad guys" in order to do well enough to get translated.

Deepthought
10-04-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm a Muslim. I don't like to write religious stuff though, and don't read those stories, because they're not realistic, and I'm not interested. But I am religious, and if you need to know something about Islam, let me know. Muslims are very divided today.

phantasy
12-25-2012, 11:07 PM
I think you should have it. I'm Muslim too but I write fantasy. I could answer any questions for accuracy as well. :)

Dipa Suresh
11-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Well, that's a great idea. World religions and cultures have always fascinated me, and I would love to see what happens in this space!

neandermagnon
11-09-2014, 04:53 PM
My kids' father is a Muslim, and I lived in Muslim countries for 7 years. I've written a novel where the main character is a Muslim, although my current works are totally unrelated to Islam. I'm not sure how much I could contribute to the subforum but I totally support its existence.

AW Admin
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Guys
MacAllister built the Islam (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=232) forum two years ago.