PDA

View Full Version : Question about Newspaper Writing

Sea Witch
02-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Any journalist peeps out there?

I'm wondering if a person writes freelance for a newspaper, say an editorial, and the author says in the article that he/she is aware of a crime or crimes (in general, not specific), does the author risk law enforcement coming around and asking questions?

For example (I'm making this up), "I have known in the past several dog groomers who evaded taxes because it's mainly a cash business."

Thanks

gettingby
02-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Your editor can answer this better than anyone here. It is hard to know the deal without the specifics. You can PM me if you want and I will try to help more.

dpaterso
02-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Sounds as if there is a risk, yes.

If not from some form of authority (law, tax, whatever) then from angry dog groomers, who will never speak to you again!

-Derek

maxmordon
02-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Just wanted to point out editorials aren't written by freelance writers but by their staff since its meant to be the newspaper's instance over a subject matter or general affair.

gettingby
02-28-2012, 04:08 AM
maxmordon has a point there.

Sea Witch
02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks everyone. gettingby and maxmordon, yes I know that. OP-ED's, however, are written "like" editorials even though they're not called that, and those are open to anyone (if they're any good). Most papers also have Opinion columns that are open (again, if they're any good).

Aztecsince79
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Sea Witch, the freelancer can write an opinion piece but if the author were to mention knowledge of some crimes without providing any specifics, the editor would be the first to ask questions before it appears in print.