Question about Newspaper Writing

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Any journalist peeps out there?

I'm wondering if a person writes freelance for a newspaper, say an editorial, and the author says in the article that he/she is aware of a crime or crimes (in general, not specific), does the author risk law enforcement coming around and asking questions?

For example (I'm making this up), "I have known in the past several dog groomers who evaded taxes because it's mainly a cash business."

Thanks

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Your editor can answer this better than anyone here. It is hard to know the deal without the specifics. You can PM me if you want and I will try to help more.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sounds as if there is a risk, yes.

If not from some form of authority (law, tax, whatever) then from angry dog groomers, who will never speak to you again!

-Derek

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just wanted to point out editorials aren't written by freelance writers but by their staff since its meant to be the newspaper's instance over a subject matter or general affair.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Thanks everyone. gettingby and maxmordon, yes I know that. OP-ED's, however, are written "like" editorials even though they're not called that, and those are open to anyone (if they're any good). Most papers also have Opinion columns that are open (again, if they're any good).

Aztecsince79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
riffelbooks.wordpress.com
Sea Witch, the freelancer can write an opinion piece but if the author were to mention knowledge of some crimes without providing any specifics, the editor would be the first to ask questions before it appears in print.