Low order detonations

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
I have a scenario where I want a low order detonation of an explosives cache on a rooftop. I was looking for complete detonation at lower than maximum velocity so that a) my protag doesn't die when lightning blows it up and b) it would destroy the building but not much else.

Is there anyone with EOD expertise who can advise on how I word this properly so I don't kill my protag?

Two main questions I think:

1) If the explosive has been set up for low order detonation using up to date techniques will the lightning just set this off early or make the work preparing a low order detonation futile. I have a vague idea that the detonators can be altered, but if lightning is going to just going to bypass the changes and cause maximum damage anyway I need to rethink.

2) Assuming low order how far away does my protag need to be? 10 meters, 20 meters? I assume it depends on the amount and type of explosive?

Thank you for any advice, direction, links to informative websites etc.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
It's so satisfying when I see myself causing someone problems. I read the opening of Maria's manuscript and had problems with this scene. So I want to clarify my problem.

It isn't with the explosives used by the good guys. It's the fact that the good guys are blowing up an explosives cache. The problem I'm having is that I'm assuming that a cache would have at least a ton of explosive material, although of unknown quality. The building appears to be located in a community, and probably is a mud-based structure typical of Somalia.

Because I'm assuming a decent size for the cache, I'm assuming there's a lot of collateral damage. Basically the structure with the cache is going to be a crater and the neighboring ones would receive substantial damage.

I guess my reaction as a reader would have been if this was part of a package to make explosives (like fertilizer) or if the material was more flammable rather than explosive.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't with the explosives used by the good guys. It's the fact that the good guys are blowing up an explosives cache. The problem I'm having is that I'm assuming that a cache would have at least a ton of explosive material, although of unknown quality. The building appears to be located in a community, and probably is a mud-based structure typical of Somalia.

Because I'm assuming a decent size for the cache, I'm assuming there's a lot of collateral damage. Basically the structure with the cache is going to be a crater and the neighboring ones would receive substantial damage.

I guess my reaction as a reader would have been okay? if this was part of a package to make explosives (like fertilizer) or if the material was more flammable rather than explosive.

Now you didn't say all that but thank you for doing so here!
icon7.gif
I think you missed a word like okay in the para above?

I don't know much about explosives.

Let me rephrase the problem - I really don't want a new opening scene!

The mission is to destroy potential deadly explosive (or explosive/flammable material - that's fine too) from a roof top.

I need the explosive or flammable material in a state where lightning causes an explosion that will launch my protag into the sky, not kill him, guess burns that are easily fixed are okay, and it can destroy the building and cause minor damage to neighboring buildings. My village is based on pictures I've seen of Somalia villages/towns, i.e concrete, breeze blocks, stone - not mud based. (Guess I better make that clearer too!)

Any suggestions on material, amount, and I really would like some EOD experts doing stuff like low-order detonations. My protag isn't supposed to be an explosives expert, he's there to see the experts in and out.

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
All right. I did a LOT of demo work in the Army. Many things to clarify here.

"Low order detonation" - There's a spectrum that goes from deflagration to detonation. I think what you're trying to do is have a high explosive 'go away' with less than full power. One of the untold stories is that explosives will burn completely without detonation, but that is an exceptionally dangerous situation, because the explosive is unbelievably sensitive during combustion. So, your lightning strike could start a fire, which involves the explosives cache. Then, any impact (even throwing a rock at it) would make it explode.

"high explosive" & "low explosive". These are terms for the brisance value of a compound. TNT is 1.0, ANFO (fertilizer) is about .8, C4 is about 1.4. During detonation, the compound will decompose with a characteristic speed. That cannot be changed short of remolding or remixing the compound with others.

The determination of how destructive a detonation is is a combination of the brisance of the compound, the amount of it, and the configuration of the explosive compound. Form the compound into a cone, and it focuses the shock wave into a plasma jet that can cut through a lot more material than an unformed pile.

If I understand what you want to do, it's something like the MOVE scenario (check wikipedia), where a rooftop cache was detonated. It was a row house, so there were some 47 connected houses were destroyed.

Have the cache catch fire and burn for a while. When the entire pile is engulfed, the gasses can't get out of the way fast enough, and a small portion will eventually detonate. Depending on the type of compound you're dealing with, the amount can be roughly calculated.

Good luck!

hvysmker

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with explosives. In Vietnam, we used to carry C-4 around to heat our rations. Without a detonator, it's perfectly safe and burns with a high heat. C-4 is a "high" explosive while gunpowder is a only a fast burning compound. Unless confined, it doesn't explode.

I'd say to use a mixture of the two. Say some high explosive, unconfined, that will be set off by lightning. The pile could contain, let's say, small-arms ammunition. Lightning would set off the C-4, which would burn with a high heat, setting off the cartridges which would go "bang." Released bullets wouldn't have much power but be good pyrotechnically, shooting everywhere. Especially if tracer bullets were included. The result would be a high heat and sporadically exploding cartridges. Not very dangerous except almost on top of them. The escaping bullets would maybe put an eye out at a distance, but not have much power.

Charlie

MariaL

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Charlie for the information. I'm currently working with a suggestion by Bill to set fire to booby-trapped fertilizer explosive and have the storm unexpectedly drop hailstones on it. I hope I got that right. (They say write what you know, but then I wouldn't learn anything.)