RIP Jan Berenstain

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My kids loved these books too. They are perfect early readers, as well as being good read-tos. Best thing is, they're still in print. We sell them in the book room at my wife's toy store.

caw

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I love those books! They were easy to read, but still a fun story. I used to paint faces at Valleyfair, and we were across from Bear Country, where they had Berenstain Bear plays. I used to paint Mama and Papa bear on kids faces. I had a science book with the bears when I was a little bit older.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. I can still remember the book names from when I read them as a kid. My parents would read me one each night before I went to bed whenever I asked, no matter how often they'd read them before.

Rest in peace, Jan Berenstain.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
My 3 yr. old has recently been convinced to keep her room clean, and to stay away from too much junk food just from the messages in the books. When she asks for junk, I remind her about the book, and she says "Oh yeah, Mom. I don't think I should eat that because it will make my tummy big like the bears."

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I fell in love with them when I read them to my kids. Wonderful stuff.

RIP.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mom got my siblings and me soooooooo many of those books when we were little. I have very fond memories of them.

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
I read in the paper this morning that children's book author Jan Berenstain passed away Friday in Pennsylvania following a stroke on Thursday.
She was co-creator of the series the Berenstain Bears with her husband Stan.
They were some of my children's favorite books growing up.

RIP Jan.

Adrian

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These were some of the first books my children learned to read. They loved the alliteration and rhymes.

I'm in a box going to town. Inside, outside, upside down.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I adored the Berenstain Bear books as a kid, but I think I love them more as an adult.

There are very few books for beginning readers that are willing to show real situations with the adults in the wrong once in a while. I remember one book where Mama Bear starts crying because she's so stressed out, and Papa explains that even grown-ups cry sometimes.

Her work is a treasure for sure and I look forward to reading my son all the books when he's old enough. (Inside, Outside, Upside Down is about the limit of his attention span right now.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score