PDA

View Full Version : A moment of clarity!

Katarinea
02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi guys! Something just happened that I'm positively bubbling over with, and I have to share it!

I'm working on a series of (vaguely speculative) fantasy novels that are Christian in theme. (think Narnia with a dash of Middle Earth and a handful of other influences) I'm currently in college for Youth/Family Ministry and working on it between homework, but I've been struggling for a while with the idea of whether or not God actually wants me to write this novel and put it out there.

Today, some of my doubts were washed away. I'm a very musical person, and in the car on the way to church, I heard a song that got stuck in my head. I looked it up when I got home, and read the lyrics as I listened to it. A lot of things in my books run along the theme of "stars" and has for a while. I've been struggling with what people would call God for a while (i.e., in Narnia He's Aslan), and hadn't been able to come up with anything.

As I'm reading the lyrics and listening, one of the verses mentions God as the North star, and it brought to my mind the occurrence in the Bible where Christ is called the Morning Star. Things clicked into place in my brain and my jaw dropped; with the theme of the other things, referring to God as The Star or some variant thereof would be beyond perfect.

Some people would call this coincidence, but for me it's divine providence and God showing me that He really does want me to use this series to glorify Him. I'm a little teary over this and humbled that God would want to use my pale prose, but I'm also beyond excited to see what God will do with this book. It's obviously not going to be inspired as the Bible is, but I hope beyond all that it will glorify God and make people think in ways they have never thought before.

Helen Taft
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Congratulations, Katarinea! You must be so relieved. I do understand how much you needed reassurance that you are writing what God wants, so it's great you have that comfort now.

One thing though, I may be wrong but I think Lucifer is the one associated with 'morning star' I could be totally wrong though! Worth checking though!

Calla Lily
02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
From what I know (and I can't research this because I'm at work right now :)), it depends on what translation of the Bible you're looking at. I'll try to research it tonight.

RichardGarfinkle
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Isaiah 14-12:

From a translation of the Septuagint
"How has Lucifer, that rose in the morning, fallen from Heaven."

The Greek translates roughly as dawn-carrier and arguably refers to the planet Venus.

Mark W.
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Congratualtions, Katarinea! It is a great moment when we have moments of clarity with our books.

Now if I can find one for myself. :)

Katarinea
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Thank you for your congratulations! This was really big for me, despite that it was something that was physically small.

That thought also came to my mind, Helen! The verse that initially came to my mind, though, was Revelation 22:16, "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star. (NIV) If I'm not mistaken, there's also a verse in one of Peter's epistles referring to Him as such, too. Don't call me on that last, though. I'm the worst with references!

Calla Lily
02-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Did some checking. Yep, the Revelation passage refers to Jesus as the morning star, and the general(?) assumption that the Isaiah passage refers to Satan is doubtful.

It's fascinating that in popular understanding "Morning Star" seems to mean Satan much more than Jesus.

Someday, when I have unlimited time, I need to learn Greek.

Kent
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Congratulations Katarinea. I believe that God DID inspire you. As I believe he did me. Now, you have to trust in Him. He may take you down paths you don't want to travel at first. Remember that your goal - and especially His goal - is not for you to get rich, but to help others. Write on.

citymouse
03-19-2012, 04:13 AM
I believe the reason we associate so much of earth with Lucifer comes from this passage.
Ezekiel 28:12-15:

Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus [Lucifer], and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

From the moment of his creation Lucifer was given governance over creation. His attributes as the perfect creation has not yet been taken from him.
In Luke 4 1-14 Jesus is tempted.
Luke 4 5-6 reads, And the Lucifer, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

Nowhere in scripture is Lucifer's power over creation taken away. So when you hear or read of great evil in the world, don't ask why God permits it. God has nothing to do with it, and won't until we see the Son of man sitting at the right hand of God and coming upon the clouds of heaven.

Robin Bayne
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Happy For You!!

Also thought Lucifer meant some kind of star. Interesting.