Getting copy of one's own e-book; using photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espresso

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I looked through several threads, and didn't see these addressed; so, if they have been, I'd love to know --

1. OK, so I write an e-book. How do I get a hard copy? Or do I ever? Do I have to pay to get a copy downloaded? Are there free copies I can send to friends, etc.? (will prob. use KDP Select).

2. Is it possible to use a photograph (my own) to illustrate each chapter? Or really complicated?

3. What's the best word processing program to use that converts easily to KDP? (right now I type most of my docs in Mac text edit, but can use MS Word).

Thanks!
Happy writing!
-K

Weebil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.weebil.com
You can covert a doc file to an EPUB or Mobi at this website.

http://www.online-convert.com/result/04943a367ed4a9bd43bac6951cbd51a1

Not sure what you mean by 'hard copy', but assuming you want to send copies out for review, and not have the reviewer pay, that is probably the best route (and it's free!)

as to photographs, if they are yours, you own the copyright. Controlling how they show up on each page can be tricky. Most experts say formatting in HTML is the only sure way to control exactly where is lands on the page, but I'm not expert. I am currently working on a picture-intensive book, and soon to abandon my efforts with Adobe's InDesign...

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hello! I looked through several threads, and didn't see these addressed; so, if they have been, I'd love to know --

1. OK, so I write an e-book. How do I get a hard copy? Or do I ever? Do I have to pay to get a copy downloaded? Are there free copies I can send to friends, etc.? (will prob. use KDP Select).

Um--let's start off by using the correct terminology. You write a BOOK and it is electronically published--I assume self-published as well. So this is in the wrong forum. You need to post this in the self-publishing forum because self-pub and e-pub are terms that mean two different things.

Okay; about your book--

In order to sell that book, YOU have to create the e-book, formats and all. So you already HAVE a copy before the book is ever released. If you want a "hard copy" you'll need to upload the book into a print on demand site like Lulu and pay to get a copy of the book printed and bound.

2. Is it possible to use a photograph (my own) to illustrate each chapter? Or really complicated?

Sure. you can use photographs or illustrations in your book.

3. What's the best word processing program to use that converts easily to KDP? (right now I type most of my docs in Mac text edit, but can use MS Word).

Thanks!
Happy writing!
-K

It doesn't really matter what program you use. Your best bet is to go to Amazon and read their FAQs for Kindle Direct publishing. See what they recommend.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Moving to self-publishing in three, two, one...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You have a couple of routes that you could follow.

You could create your book with MS-Word, then upload it directly to Smashwords. They'll turn it into several e-book formats. You can download any of them for free. You can also create coupons to give to people so they can also download it for free. Follow the Smashwords Style Guide to the letter. They have instructions for embedding photos.

Or, you could go to Kindle, and follow a bit more complex path:

Create the document in some word-processor (following the Smashwords Style Guide to the letter is still a good plan). Save as HTML. Clean up the HTML with an HTML editor. Use MobiPocket Creator to turn the file into a .prc. Upload the .prc to Amazon; send the .prc to your friends by email. You'll have to pay to download a copy.

For hard copy (physical books), save your book as a .pdf and upload it to lulu.com. Check the Lulu website; they have downloadable templates for all the differently-sized books. You'll have to pay to buy a copy.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
I strongly suggest you put in a little extra time and learn how to create a clean HTML file, especially if you are using photos. I have seen too many e-books-gone-wrong from Smashwords. (shudder). In order to be taken seriously as an indie author you want a clean, error-free, properly formatted book.

Here is a site that gives you a nice tutorial: Guido Henkel. I also have some step-by-step instructions I could email you if you want to contact me.

jairey

Registered
Reaction score
Photographs don't work very well on the B/W Kindle. Not sure about the Kindle Fire, the ones I've seen from professional publishers look good. Not sure about the various Nooks and other readers. Keep in mind that some people start adjusting the font of the book -- which can drastically impact where things appear. You might want to check in the Kindle author forums for suggestions. There may be forums for other formats as well.

Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.