PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Predictions

Toothpaste
02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Here are mine: http://hardcorenerdity.com/2012/02/25/adrienne-oscar-predictions/

I'm thinking THE ARTIST will clinch it, but it's clearly a tight race between it and THE DESCENDENTS. It will be close.

The only winner I'm as close to certain about is Christopher Plummer for Best Supporting Actor.

Thoughts?

Williebee
02-26-2012, 03:24 AM
From everything I've seen in the news, The Artist appears set for a sweep.

The solid prediction I can make is I won't see the ceremony. Road trip.

BenPanced
02-26-2012, 04:00 AM
The movie you like the most will only win in technical categories which don't get broadcast. Meryl Streep will sweep the awards and win ones she wasn't even nominated for. And somebody will say something controversial about Afghanistan/Iraq/Israel and get booed. Then Billy Joel Crystal will bring up Bjork's swan dress again. And the Minnesota Timberwolves will come from behind in a stunning upset against Manchester United and win the set 6-1, 6-4, 6-3.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
02-26-2012, 04:43 AM
The movie you like the most will only win in technical categories which don't get broadcast. Meryl Streep will sweep the awards and win ones she wasn't even nominated for. And somebody will say something controversial about Afghanistan/Iraq/Israel and get booed. Then Billy Joel Crystal will bring up Bjork's swan dress again. And the Minnesota Timberwolves will come from behind in a stunning upset against Manchester United and win the set 6-1, 6-4, 6-3.
You may need fresh tea leaves...

I don't understand why George Clooney is such an oscar darling. It simply makes no sense to me. And The Descendants might have been a Lifetime Movie Network movie; why is it even nominated?

I hope the Artist wins big, but I suppose they'll throw Clooney something...

gothicangel
02-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I pretty confident that The Artist will make a clean sweep, and it deserves to. Christopher Plummer was amazing in Beginners.

The only outside prediction I would make is, I would like to see Michael O'Connor pick up best costume.

msuss
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
The Artist was beautifully executed, but I thought Hugo was by far the better film.

blacbird
02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Oscar prediction:

The program will be replete with well-rehearsed phony grins entombed in expensive clothing and make-up. To quote Steely Dan:

All the show-business kids making movies of themselves,
And they don't give a fuck about anybody else.

caw

blacbird
02-27-2012, 06:51 AM
Mine prediction:

Oscar prediction:

The program will be replete with well-rehearsed phony grins entombed in expensive clothing and make-up. To quote Steely Dan:

All the show-business kids making movies of themselves,
And they don't give a fuck about anybody else.

caw

. . . hath been fulfilled:

http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/2012-academy-awards-18132.gallery

Meanwhile, back on the planet:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/26/10510131-syrian-tells-nbc-you-hear-the-sounds-of-torture-all-the-time

Keep smiling Brad, Angelina, George, and the rest of you. Enjoy your evening.

caw

rhymegirl
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I saw all of the ceremony last night.

I got most of my predictions right except I thought Clooney would win for Best Actor and I wanted Viola Davis to win for Best Actress.

I thought Octavia Spencer and Christopher Plummer would win for the supporting roles.

Personally, I would have liked "The Help" to win for Best Picture. I haven't seen "The Artist" and don't want to see it.

It's funny what Meryl Streep said when she won because as soon as they called her name I did say exactly what she said. "Oh no! Not her again."
She's a great actress but she's already won twice before. How can anybody compete against her?

Kitty27
02-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I am beyond pleased Viola Davis didn't win for that role.

I am being a hater and I admit that. But I just wouldn't have been able to stand it.

Octavia,sigh. Congratulations is all I have to say.

CrastersBabies
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
I was a bit peeved the Streep won, even though I LOVE her as an actress. I feel like she's the person who shows up to the office party raffle and always wins the big DVD player and the rest of us get gift certificates to Starbucks.

I'm sure she did a great job, but I was rooting my ass off for Viola.

I wasn't too upset that George didn't win, but thought it strange they gave the best actor to a guy who spoke 2 words. I get it. Things like that happen. He made an impression in a silent movie and when I do finally see it, I'll probably "get it." I mean, Judy Dench won a best supporting actress oscar for Shakespeare in Love and probably had a total of 13 minutes of screen time.

Ahh well!

They could have given Elizabeth Taylor a LOT more time during the memorial segment. She's Elizabeth friggin' Taylor for the love of pete.

I did like the return of Billy Crystal, though. Not over-schmoozy or over-the-top. Got the job done. Liked having him back.

Toothpaste
02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
All my predictions in the major categories came true - not that I necessarily thought they ought to win, but that they would. Was surprised a bit how much HUGO swept the other categories, but I'd forgotten the power of the Scorsese.

The one really big upset for me was HUGO beating out PLANET OF THE APES in the effects category. That was a joke.

Very happy Plummer won, though he was the closest to a sure thing out of all the categories.

I know the voting is terribly biased especially considering who is doing the voting (it's awful to say but I knew Octavia Spencer was going to win supporting which meant Viola Davis wouldn't win in her category, take a very cynical guess as to why), and the show is a farce. But I still know that the individuals who actually win, especially in the less popular categories like doc and short films etc, are experiencing a dream come true, so I still like watching the show. And for those categories those films will get a huge boost too. So it ain't all evil.

But OMG, Angelina's arms TERRIFIED me.

CrastersBabies
02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah, the voting is so political? Is that the right word?

Angelina looked high and barely able to stand up.

lizbeth dylan
02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
But OMG, Angelina's arms TERRIFIED me.

I quit watching the Oscars years ago so I kept with tradition and skipped them last night.

However...the talk shows and several Internet sites had pics of Angelina posing in that dress with the one leg shoved out at this creepy angle. I kept thinking did she break a hip and no one set it correctly? WTF?

IMO, she is forever trying too hard.

gothicangel
02-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I haven't seen "The Artist" and don't want to see it.

That's a shame. It's flawed, but still a wonderful movie [and I hate musicals.]

shawkins
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
It's funny what Meryl Streep said when she won because as soon as they called her name I did say exactly what she said. "Oh no! Not her again."
She's a great actress but she's already won twice before. How can anybody compete against her?

I've been thinking about that. Probably what we should do is put her in an Adam Sandler movie next time. If she still wins then she's unstoppable.

Toothpaste
02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
CrastersBabies: Yeah, the voting is so political? Is that the right word? I think that's a good word. It's very . . . highschool. It's all people who know each other, and sometimes people win awards not for the performance this year, but for the one they were nominated for the year before etc and so forth. I used to predict who would win based off of who I wanted to win. I never won the Oscar pools.

Since I learned the error of my ways, I do pretty well now. Which is really too bad.

Still, there are always some lovely moments, and I do like seeing people's dreams come true.

However...the talk shows and several Internet sites had pics of Angelina posing in that dress with the one leg shoved out at this creepy angle. I kept thinking did she break a hip and no one set it correctly? WTF?

IMO, she is forever trying too hard.

Yeah that was super weird. But the best bit was one of the writers of THE DESCENDENTS (to whom she presented the award) totally mocked her pose during their acceptance speech. It was pretty awesome really: http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2012/02/27/angelina-jolie-jim-rash-descendants-pose-oscars/

CaroGirl
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah that was super weird. But the best bit was one of the writers of THE DESCENDENTS (to whom she presented the award) totally mocked her pose during their acceptance speech. It was pretty awesome really: http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2012/02/27/angelina-jolie-jim-rash-descendants-pose-oscars/

I'd gone to bed by then, so I missed it. But that's absolutely hilarious. That's the guy from Community, isn't it? Good for him for having a bit of fun.

I haven't seen The Descendants but I heard it was really good (if depressing).

hester
02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I knew it was a long shot, but I was rooting really hard for Rooney Mara. She was amazing in GWTDT.

lizbeth dylan
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM

I know! I saw that on one of the talk shows and nearly fell off the couch. Too funny. Makes me want to watch Community now.

CrastersBabies
02-27-2012, 11:25 PM
I did not get that he was mocking Angelina. HA! Awesome stuff.

I thought Rooney did fabulous, but she's not Hollywood "tested" yet and people think she's already entitled because of her family's football legacy, so she may face that trouble as her career progresses. Maybe not. I don't care who the heck she is. She rocked the face off that role.

defcon6000
02-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah that was super weird. But the best bit was one of the writers of THE DESCENDENTS (to whom she presented the award) totally mocked her pose during their acceptance speech. It was pretty awesome really: http://www.mydaily.co.uk/2012/02/27/angelina-jolie-jim-rash-descendants-pose-oscars/Oh yeah, I remember that. Was like: WTF is he doing?

Even if the Oscars is mostly dull, it has its moments.

I knew it was a long shot, but I was rooting really hard for Rooney Mara. She was amazing in GWTDT.I was rooting for her, too. Would've preferred her or Viola from "The Help" to have won.

rhymegirl
02-28-2012, 07:44 AM
I've been thinking about that. Probably what we should do is put her in an Adam Sandler movie next time. If she still wins then she's unstoppable.

Ha! This is funny. Good idea!

maxmordon
02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
I really loved Billy Crystal as a host, I always felt others were too outrageous or too subtle years before.

CrastersBabies
02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
I really loved Billy Crystal as a host, I always felt others were too outrageous or too subtle years before.

Me too. Last year was a disaster. My favorite host has always been Billy Crystal. I love his little "shorts" in the beginning.

Lavern08
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Watched the whole thing for the first time in years.

Overall, the program was blah, but I was totally blown away by Esperanza Spalding's singing during the memorial tribute. :Sun:

MaryMumsy
02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Watched the whole thing for the first time in years.

Overall, the program was blah, but I was totally blown away by Esperanza Spalding's singing during the memorial tribute. :Sun:

QFT

First time in years for me too. Billy was Billy, and I think it is time to retire him. Get rid of the scripted witty banter between presenters. They always look uncomfortable, and it comes off lame. And what was with the acrobats? What does that have to do with film? And if there were only two songs nominated, and they were both so lame, drop the best song category for pete's sake.

MM

Lavern08
02-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Yes, Mumsy.

Worst "Best Songs" EVAH!!!!! :Shrug:

Celia Cyanide
02-29-2012, 06:32 AM
I never watch them. I don't really care that Billy Crystal is supposed to be such a good Oscar host. He's still a has-been, and it's been about 20 years since he's acted in a movie worth watching. Even people who are supposed to be "good at" hosting the Oscars are dull. Hosting the Oscars is a lame thing to be good at.

Jolie finally looks as stupid to the rest of the world as she always has to me.

CrastersBabies
02-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Yay for coming to a thread that you know you'll never really have anything to add to and, well, not adding anything at all.

Celia Cyanide
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Yay for coming to a thread that you know you'll never really have anything to add to and, well, not adding anything at all.

I'm sorry you didn't think I had anything to add.

Well, not really...

defcon6000
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Worst "Best Songs" EVAH!!!!! :Shrug:
*snerk*

Yeah, that was rather nonsensical. So was the freebie Oscars. Exactly why is Oprah receiving an Oscar? I thought Oscars were movie awards, not awards for just about anything.

mario_c
02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I basically followed the results on twitter. The cheese and awkward self-congratulatory tone was funny for about a week, now it's just tired. I heard about who died (Billy, Sacha Cohen) and who killed (Chris Rock, The Muppets); jury is still out on Cirque Du Soleil?
The host I miss is Jon Stewart. Maybe Stephen Colbert could take over for 2013.
As for me, I'm waiting for the Razzies. Now that should be a fun ceremony. :tongue

defcon6000
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Stephen Colbert would be fun, but I think the Oscars has a dampening effect--anything that touches its aura becomes dull and stupid.

How about we start over? I like the idea of going back to 15-minute award ceremony, because who gives a shit about sound effects, foreign cartoons that I'll never see, and what ever else.

Lavern08
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
... Exactly why is Oprah receiving an Oscar?

Word. ;)

CrastersBabies
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Stephen Colbert would be fun, but I think the Oscars has a dampening effect--anything that touches its aura becomes dull and stupid.

How about we start over? I like the idea of going back to 15-minute award ceremony, because who gives a shit about sound effects, foreign cartoons that I'll never see, and what ever else.

Stephen Colbert would be brilliant!

CrastersBabies
02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Oprah:

The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is awarded periodically by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) at the Academy Award ceremonies for an individual's outstanding contributions to humanitarian causes. Unlike the Academy Award of Merit, the nomination and voting for this award are restricted to members of the Board of Governors of AMPAS.

She's been in a few movies, produced some. I think it's a cool award for her. (Though I think she should have won best supporting actress for the Color Purple, too). :)

Celia Cyanide
02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Oprah:

She's been in a few movies, produced some. I think it's a cool award for her. (Though I think she should have won best supporting actress for the Color Purple, too). :)

True. I think she is an amazing actress, actually. I loved her in BELOVED.

mario_c
03-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Why does no one give the shorts any credit? The animated program is awesome every year. I admit I didn't go see the live/doc shorts this year, but last year was brilliant - I should catch this year's program online.

As for tech Oscars, they've already been bumped to their own ceremony before the main event. Should we ignore the technical people and craftspeople altogether? Should we give them no credit, either?
(I'm studying to get into post-production and/or motion graphics. And sure, sound.)

defcon6000
03-01-2012, 03:57 AM
As for tech Oscars, they've already been bumped to their own ceremony before the main event. Should we ignore the technical people and craftspeople altogether? Should we give them no credit, either?
(I'm studying to get into post-production and/or motion graphics. And sure, sound.)
No, they shouldn't be ignored. Having their own award ceremony would be better. But frankly, I don't care which movie was the best at mixing sounds, or who was the best at adapting a screenplay from a novel.

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2012, 04:35 AM
No, they shouldn't be ignored. Having their own award ceremony would be better. But frankly, I don't care which movie was the best at mixing sounds, or who was the best at adapting a screenplay from a novel.

I can respect your not caring. But those things are a very important part of filmmaking, and should not be ignored.

The one category I do think should be removed is "best song." For two reasons: 1) The songs that win are never very good and 2) this award always leads to outrage that Eminem, Three Six Mafia, or Celine Dione have more Oscars than some important film person.

Amos Gunner
03-01-2012, 04:41 AM
The dude from Flight of the Conchords won! That's pretty cool.

CrastersBabies
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Why does no one give the shorts any credit? The animated program is awesome every year. I admit I didn't go see the live/doc shorts this year, but last year was brilliant - I should catch this year's program online.

Mario, I wish I could see those things before the ceremony. It always seems like they come out after on channels like HBO and such. They need to make them more available or easier to find if they do come out!

CrastersBabies
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
True. I think she is an amazing actress, actually. I loved her in BELOVED.

See, I couldn't get through Beloved long enough to appreciate her performance. It was just not my thing, but, after seeing her in the Color Purple . . . the woman can friggin' act. I wish she'd take more roles.

Oh, and sorry for snarky comment before. I jumped the gun. I admit it and I'll own it. :D

CrastersBabies
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
I can respect your not caring. But those things are a very important part of filmmaking, and should not be ignored.

The one category I do think should be removed is "best song." For two reasons: 1) The songs that win are never very good and 2) this award always leads to outrage that Eminem, Three Six Mafia, or Celine Dione have more Oscars than some important film person.

You know, I used to feel the same--the the sound mixing and editing was just kind of "there," but, having a husband now who is a musician and who has a super sensitive ear about things like mixing and such, he can ALWAYS predict the winners. He can point out bad sound VS good sound during a movie. Now, could I do this by myself? Oh heck no. But, it's cool that people who have that ear can tell the difference w/o much issue at all.

I do think that sound awards tend to go to the flashier films and films that might not otherwise receive oscars, so that's a good thing. :D

Celia Cyanide
03-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Oh, and sorry for snarky comment before. I jumped the gun. I admit it and I'll own it. :D

Oh, no problem. It's not that I don't care about the Oscars themselves. I just don't care about the awards ceremony. Last year, everyone was complaining about the host, some even going so far as to say he should apologize to the Academy or never be invited back. This was all in spite of the fact that he has consistently made significant contributions to his field, including a best actor nomination. When Billy Crystal presented, everyone was saying how they wanted him back because he was the BEST OSCAR HOST EVA! Now this year, people are complaining that his jokes are old and stale. And he's not really a significant contributor to the film world.

I don't really care if I'm entertained by the awards show. I care much more about how entertaining the movies themselves are.