If I can do it......so can you!

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hard as it is to get a western published nowadays, it can be done. My first effort was picked up by a small independent publisher and is now out in eBook form, with print to follow. You just have to persevere and keep looking for that right home for your manuscript. We don't have as many options to choose from as other genres, so it's important to leave no stone unturned when you are querying. Thank goodness there are still a handful of publishers who see the importance of keeping the western alive and bucking. Good luck to everyone in their efforts.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks Ari. I hope to complete an audio version to be available by the end of March. By the way, if anyone has any thoughts about making an audio version of their book on their own, think long and hard. This is the most time-consuming thing I have ever done. And trying to come up with sixteen different character voices has driven me crazy and taxed my vocal chords to the max. Thank goodness I only had to do one of the two main character voices.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That, jdm, is outstanding and heartening and generally magnificent! :)

Allow me to offer you congratulations times ten on writing the genre, keeping at it and getting published. Your success story is just the thing people thinking about taking time out to write western will be looking for and a great nudge for those who've trunked westerns to get them submitting again.

I, and no doubt everyone with and interest in the genre, would love to hear more about the process of writing, querying and publishing dealing from you and anyone else who has had, or is about to have, a western [short or novel] published.

In the meantime, bloody well done again -- and, most importantly, howsabout a link to the buying page of your novel for those who don't have signatures turned on! :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Good going, JDM.

BTW - I see caopaux does not have Western Trail Blazers listed in the enormous list of publishers. You might want to pass the word so they can be added to the list. Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ari. I hope to complete an audio version to be available by the end of March. By the way, if anyone has any thoughts about making an audio version of their book on their own, think long and hard. This is the most time-consuming thing I have ever done. And trying to come up with sixteen different character voices has driven me crazy and taxed my vocal chords to the max. Thank goodness I only had to do one of the two main character voices.

Goddammit!

I missed this in the cross post. Author doing their own audio book. Brilliant! You must now tell stories about how this went, or -- if not -- you must post the buy link here the moment it becomes available.

Jealousy and congratulations times two hundred. You must've had the best (and worst) of times. Forgive me, Dickens and again hats tipped to jdm.. :)

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Harry. I didn't think about including links. The story behind the reason for writing it is a fluke--one of those things you do to amuse yourself without ever giving a thought to having it go this far. Anyway, here are the links. The second one is my publisher's page. Don't know how to get these to be clickable links, so you may have to cut and paste.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/134986

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/WTB

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BN6AJO/?tag=absowrit-20

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/four-horses-dead-ringer/18903995

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The audio book has been a curse and a blessing. I am using a free program called Audacity to record with and it has great potential. But let me say this to anyone who wants to use it for a major project: Read up on the special effects and play with it a lot before you start the actual project. I had many false starts because I didn't understand the efficient use of its bells and whistles, so make sure you understand the dos and don'ts. Hundred of thousands of individual edits later, I am still working on the darn thing.

Of course, it didn't help any when one of my dogs got a hold of the expensive microphone I bought and used it for a chew toy. He managed to do this twice, compromising its function until finally it gave up the ghost and I had to get a new one.

The blessing is, I modeled one of the MCs after a dear friend and he graciously agreed to read for that part, allowing me to spend lots of time enjoying his company. He is surprisingly good at it too, for not having any previous acting experience under his belt. And thank goodness, too, because I don't think there is any way I could have done a convincing voice for an eighty-year old character (which he is).

Still have a long way to go, but I will get it done. Eventually.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks to all who offered their congratulations.

Harry:
I can't profess to know much about the writing process or querying, but I can tell you a little about my dumb luck in getting this all to happen.

My only other attempt at a novel was right out of high school. I spent six years on the effort before abandoning it to concentrate on the woman who would become my wife. Thirty-eight years ago, writing didn't come very easy to me, and I have not looked at the novel since for fear of the cringe factor.

Now, I have always liked westerns since I was a little kid and in keeping with that, every year when my family and I go on vacation we have always stopped in at one of those old time photo places and had a family picture done in period western garb. That was always my vacation souvenir and I have a whole living room wall covered with these portraits, along with an 1871 Richard-Mason Army Colt conversion model revolver next to them.

A couple of years ago, a friend and I attended a professional conference together. This friend happens to be the most interesting gentleman I have ever met and we are good friends (turns out, we are distant cousins-there is a long and unique story behind that). For some time, I had wanted to have a picture done with the two of us in period western garb-just something to look at in the future to remember our friendship by. The chance finally came at this conference and I talked him into doing it with me. Reluctant as he was, he actually got quite a kick out it and he has his copy of the picture on display at his home.

A few months later, I got to looking at the picture and thinking there had to be a story behind it somewhere, so I sat down and stared to write it. At this point it was strictly for my own amusement and the amusement of my buddy, and I had no thoughts of ever publishing it. When I finished it, I gave it to my friend who read it and surprised me by saying he thought it was publishable. I wasn't convinced, as it was a bit short (45,000 words) and I didn't think anyone but the two of us would have any interest in the story. By then, though, writing had become such a hobby I didn't quite know what to do with myself now that I was finished with it and had so much spare time (an unfortunate long period of unemployment kept me from pursuing more expensive hobbies). That being the case, I decided to write a companion piece (really a sequel) and the second half of the novel was born.

What is interesting to me is that many of the small throwaway details I included in the first story actually wound up playing a part in the second story. There was no planning on my part for this to happen as I had no plans for the second story when I wrote the first. Funny how dumb luck sometimes accounts for how things manage to converge into a coherent whole. It makes me wonder how often this happens for other writers, especially when we sit down and analyze their work and find things we are just certain the author intentionally put together. How much of it is simply coincidence, or luck, if you will?

Anyway, luck intervened again when I happened to get an offer on AW from a retired professor of English (and small firearms expert-how convenient for me!) to beta/critique my work in exchange for the same on his manuscript. This was a boon for me as he had done professional editing in his career. I am not so sure I was as helpful to him, being a novice, though.

After his help and encouragement, I decided to see if the story really did have any commercial appeal so I began searching for publishers and agents who accepted westerns, saddened to find that very few did. Determined not to blow my chances at getting published, I spent a lot of time researching the querying process and how to write a good query. I seem to be fairly decent at writing ad copy (I guess there is a little P.T.l Barnum in me) so I didn't find that too difficult. More difficult was wading through all the formatting differences and summary lengths you had to conform to to submit to anyone. Every package had to be tweaked a little to meet the different submission requirements and I found that to be very daunting to have to spend so much time at it.

Naturally, I got rejections, ranging from "I don't think there is enough action in the first chapter" to "The wife in the flashback is a mere cypher," all reflecting each agent's or editor's particular tastes. (The one about the wife being a cypher really got me--of course she was. You can't devote twenty pages of a short flashback to develop a character who plays no part of the main story when the intent was only to provide a little insight into the MC.) I did appreciate the time each took to illuminate what they thought was wrong with the manuscript, but I didn't necessarily agree with what they said and i didn't jump up and revise to try and please half a dozen different reader preferences either. Having written the story originally for my own amusement was a great help in dealing with the rejections as I could always rationalize that I had never intended to please anyone but myself. If that sounds like golden word syndrome or vanity, it is not. I still worry about whether readers will like it, but knowing I like it myself took the sting out of the rejections and didn't make it seem like the end of the world if it didn't get published.

Please don't get the idea that I didn't do a lot of editing to try and improve the quality of the work. I used most of the advice my critique partner gave, plus every time I ran across one of those writing "rules" on AW, I would go back and edit to a degree (I didn't go overboard with these "rules" but did some changes as a concession to the conventions). Often times, I would think of a better way to say something or add to the dialogue or narrative after the fact and made those changes. Redundancy with certain words was a problem after it was pointed out to me by my critique partner/editor, so I worked on that even though others never noticed when they read through it (which leads me to believe the average reader tends not to notice a lot of things fellow writers are critical of).

One of the more frustrating aspects of the editing was when the historical facts necessitated some changes after I found out the story didn't match certain facts. The most annoying one was when I found out that my backwards state had enacted the first prohibition law in the U.S. Finding that out required me to push my timeline back five years before the one I would have preferred. Changes like this would then set off a whole cascade of additional changes in other parts of the book, all of which had to be located and brought in line with the changed premise or fact. All in all, to say I have read each line of my work at least three hundred times would not be much of an exaggeration at this point.

After continuing to search for western publishers, I ran across Western Trail Blazer and sent them the manuscript. To my delight, the owner of the imprint liked the story and was excited to bring it to market. And I must say, they are a pleasure to work with, a terrific bunch of people who have gone out of their way to accommodate me for I have continued to make edits right up to the week before it was put out in eBook format.

As for the cover, they were willing to work with my ideas and their cover artist put the elements all together. I think she did a great job with the idea and it came out pretty much how I had envisioned it. I went for something a little less conventional than the usual western cover and I hope others will find it interesting as well. My only hope is that the old time photo which spawned the whole thing is small enough that no one can recognize me in it. I didn't want this to seem like a vanity thing but since I wrote a whole scenario where the two MCs have their picture made by the town photographer in the saloon, and the photo plays a role in the second part, it seemed appropriate for it to be there. Needless to say though, it is a bit embarrassing to be a model on your own book cover.

So there it is, probably more than anybody wanted to know and more than I intended to write. I think maybe I am just trying to avoid having to work on the audiobook this afternoon, but I can't put it off any longer. Hope this was not too boring for anyone.

Thanks again to all who commented.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
So there it is, probably more than anybody wanted to know and more than I intended to write. I think maybe I am just trying to avoid having to work on the audiobook this afternoon, but I can't put it off any longer. Hope this was not too boring for anyone.

Surely, you jest. Yours is a fascinating path-to-publication story--from the taking of the photo, through the edits, to publication. Pure serendipity and obviously meant to be.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
J. D., that is a great story. Thanks for sharing!

I loved the part about the picture and your friend, but also I think the part about the different agents with their subjective opinions, and how you stuck to your guns (no pun intended) and published. Awesome!

BAY

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. Thanks for sharing your story.