Any modern American Mafia films?

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a chance I'll be moving to LA, acting as a production assistant for a producer who focuses primarily on mob films. I've seen most of his (which are historically based), but would like to beef up on the current state of the mob in the media...most anything that takes place from 1990 on (not just made from the 90's on, but actually takes place in a more modern world).

If there are any lesser-known titles worth checking out, feel free to include those too.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops. I suppose this is better for the forum about movie media further down the last page....

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I'll port you over to Movies & TV. :)

Not very familiar with it myself sadly, but popular and critical consensus seems to think The Sopranos is just about the best modern mob/mafia story in... well, forever. VMMV.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
I have all 6 seasons of The Sopranos on order and am currently watching American Gangster, although that one has more of a 70's theme.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Blood In, Blood Out.

It's from the mid 90's and deals with three Chicano cousins taking different paths to survive: one joins to a gang in prison, the other becomes a junkie artist, the other one becomes a cop. I felt it deserved some more recognition.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
Nice...and it's based on a true story. I'll find a copy of it to watch this weekend :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's six years off, but if you've never seen The Pope of Greenwich Village, I recommend it.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...haven't heard of that one. Looks good. Even ones that aren't completely modern can help by analyzing the organization structure, etc. I'm just trying to keep away from getting a slew of Scorsese recommendations and prohibition era stuff. As good as those can be, they don't suit my immediate purposes.

Thanks for the ones suggested so far!

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
King of New York and Carlitos's Way got a lot of love in the 1990s. Neither of them particularly rocked my world but they weren't bad either. If you do get the job they'll probably come up in conversation sooner or later.