one act plays

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
What can you do with one act stage plays? I really like making these, and some of them are pretty good, but what do I do with them when they are done? I would like to see at least of of them make it to the stage. I know small theaters sometimes have a night of one-act plays. How do you get in with something like that? Thanks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some theaters have play competitions, often short, one-act play, but sometimes longer plays as well.

If you have a very short play, enter it in the National Ten-Minute Play Contest.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought of submitting two one act plays to a theatre? One play before and one after an interval. Amateur dramatic groups might be interested as it could stretch their skills and introduce them to new genres. Also, you could be generous and tell them that there will be no charge to them for using your work. I joined the local am dram group last year - see my sig - and learnt an awful lot about how a written work translates into the spoken word. There was one piece that I really liked but I cringed when the actors read it. I had to do some re-writes and swap some bits around, but in the end it worked. I am not precious about my work, so was not bothered about what was cut.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Some great ideas.

alleycat - I looked up the competition and it says the characters have to be between the ages of 18-28 so what I have done so far doesn't fit, but maybe I will write one that does.

Shakesbear - How would I go about doing that? Ring them up or email (if I can find that)? I don't care about the money. Also, I did have my family preform one of my short plays in the living room at our last family gathering. It was really funny, funnier than I thought it was. I did catch a few places that needed tweaked from that experience. But because of I feel the play is now as good as it gets and is now ready for the stage.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I'd do a Google search to find out about the groups in your area. When you've found them check out the sites - see what sort of plays they put on. If they only do musicals then they may not be the group for you. See what sort of plays they put on - have a good nose round the site, check out any photos of productions as they may give you an insight into the type of staging they group use. Look at the list of contacts and see who you should contact. I don't want to sound patronising but think about what you are going to say before you phone or what to write before you email. It may be tactful to ask if you could help backstage as you want to learn about how a play 'happens' - this could mean you attending rehearsals for a couple of months. Try to find out if any one else in the group is writing - you don't want to tread on toes.

Another way is to see if there is a writers circle that you could join - at least you'll get some crits from them! I was so lucky with the Mere Players - they were putting on a play about Shakespeare and needed someone to help with the writing. I so enjoyed it and hope you have the same luck. :))) Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear - It must have been so cool to see what you wrote come to life on stage. I want that. Thanks for your help.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
What can you do with one act stage plays? I really like making these, and some of them are pretty good, but what do I do with them when they are done? I would like to see at least of of them make it to the stage. I know small theaters sometimes have a night of one-act plays. How do you get in with something like that? Thanks.

Try contacting local community colleges with theatre departments. They might agree to put your play on for acting experience with the students... at least a local college did that for me. It's a start!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear - It must have been so cool to see what you wrote come to life on stage. I want that. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

It was very cool. What was nice though was after the dress rehearsal most or the actors either kissed me or shook my hand and said 'thank you'. Looking back I am not sure if they were thanking me for being prompt or for the writing!

Randi.lee that is a really good idea!

PaulyWally

Registered
Reaction score
I'll just reiterate what was already said. Lots of theatres around the country accept one act plays. Do a search. Get involved locally. Dig. Dig. Dig.

Coincidentally, I was just poking around for this very question last night. Here's one place to start. It's focused on female writers. But there are many different resources in this list:

http://www.womenarts.org/fund/TheatreOngoingSubmissions.htm

Just out of curiosity, about where are you located?