Poll: How Are You Distributing Your E-Books?

Which outlets are you currently using, or plan to use in the near future, to distribute your ebooks?

• Amazon-Kindle only

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Amazon-Kindle

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • Barnes & Noble

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Books on Board

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Books on Board UK

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Diesel ebooks

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Ebookmall

• eBooks.com

• Eharlequin

• Fictionwise

• Kobo

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Penguin.co.uk UK

• Powells

• Mobipocket

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Smashwords (their own website)

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Waterstones UK

• Whsmith UK

• Your own website

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • iBookstore

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Google eBookstore

• Other A

• Other B

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
6 non-fiction titles
Current: Amazon-Kindle, B&N, our own website
Planning to do within 6 months: Books on Board, Kobo, Powells, Sony
Probably within 6 months: iBookstore, Google

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean "which outlets do you use to buy ebooks from" or "which outlets do you use to sell your self-published ebooks"? If the latter, this might fit better in the self-publishing subforum.

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean "which outlets do you use to buy ebooks from" or "which outlets do you use to sell your self-published ebooks"? If the latter, this might fit better in the self-publishing subforum.

Where are you publishing your eBooks is the question? Sorry that was not clear, but in an ePublishing sub-forum I had not thought to be more explicit. Will see if I can edit the Poll question.

MODERATOR: perhaps you can edit my thread topic or Poll question to clarify it ...
For distributing, What outlets ...

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi, Veinglory.

I believe Samhain offers their books at their own website, as well as at Amazon and B&N. I'm not sure if their novels are on any of the smaller outfits (Kobo, iBookstore, etc)

I am sure they and my other epublishers hit the major spots.

KatYares

Long time lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katyares.com
I'm doing all my books and short stories (except the book published two years ago) thru the KDP select program for at least ninety days. We'll see how it goes. After the 90 days are up - I may distribute to other channels, i.e., B&N, Kobo, etc.

So far I've sold more thru the Select program that I did in two years in multiple channels on my first book.

Scott Seldon

Do you hear the people sing?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I answered the question as in where am I uploading my book. If you go through Smashwords and are in the Premium Catalog (which only requires you have the right format and an ISBN, which they provide), you are distributing to B&N, Sony, Apple iBookstore, Kobo, and Diesel (and Amazon, but only if your book makes over $1000 or once they get a regular upload agreement in place).

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
Slightly puzzled by results as of Feb. 26, 2012

From OP:
1) 176 views yet only 14 who filled out poll; perhaps there is a lot of interest from writers who have not yet published their eBook.

2) Smashwords: I have visited their website and seems like they make it easy to get your eBook on a range of outlets as Scott indicated, if you qualify to be in their Premium Catalog.

What the 14 responses are showing me right now, is that it seems that several of the 9 who clicked that they are on the "Smashwords (their own website)" are NOT in the Premium catalog otherwise the count for iBookstore, Sony, Kobo, etc. would also be at least a count of 9. They are far below 9, and if this is accurate I find it interesting.

To avoid any ambiguity, to future respondents if you check "Smashwords (their own website)" please check all of the other places where you sell your eBook. Hopefully respondents have already been doing that so that the results are actually accurate. {Please note: I believe it is true that one could say self-publish to Kindle, B&N, iBookstore; and then use Smashwords to just gain access to Kobo, & Sony.}

I answered the question as in where am I uploading my book. If you go through Smashwords and are in the Premium Catalog (which only requires you have the right format and an ISBN, which they provide), you are distributing to B&N, Sony, Apple iBookstore, Kobo, and Diesel (and Amazon, but only if your book makes over $1000 or once they get a regular upload agreement in place).

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Even though all of my Smashwords E-books are in the premium catalog, I just clicked the Smashwords answer, since I took Barnes & Noble to mean "Are you publishing using PubIt?" and iBookstore to mean "Did you upload directly to Apple?" etc.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From OP:
1) 176 views yet only 14 who filled out poll; perhaps there is a lot of interest from writers who have not yet published their eBook.
Maybe a lot of people were like me and originally thought the OP was asking where readers buy books from (which might, itself, be an interesting and useful poll to let authors know where their potential readers shop!).

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
Moderator - please try to fix Poll question again

Even though all of my Smashwords E-books are in the premium catalog, I just clicked the Smashwords answer, since I took Barnes & Noble to mean "Are you publishing using PubIt?" and iBookstore to mean "Did you upload directly to Apple?" etc.

@James, or some moderator. Could you please try to fix the Poll question again (see post #3) so that we can get accurate results? Thanks. {I am not an author, but work for one. SHows how tricky language can be, and what readers then do with what you had hoped was clear!}

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a lot of people were like me and originally thought the OP was asking where readers buy books from (which might, itself, be an interesting and useful poll to let authors know where their potential readers shop!).
Or sell? That's the impression I got when I saw the response "on my own website".

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
@James, or some moderator. Could you please try to fix the Poll question again (see post #3) so that we can get accurate results? Thanks. {I am not an author, but work for one. SHows how tricky language can be, and what readers then do with what you had hoped was clear!}
Changed thread title and poll question. Is it now more what you had in mind?

Elena Andrews

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elenaandrews.blogspot.com
Amazon and Barnes and Noble right now. So far Amazon sales are ahead of B&N about 5-1. I may try the KDP program for my next book to see how it works.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
From OP:

2) Smashwords: I have visited their website and seems like they make it easy to get your eBook on a range of outlets as Scott indicated, if you qualify to be in their Premium Catalog.

What the 14 responses are showing me right now, is that it seems that several of the 9 who clicked that they are on the "Smashwords (their own website)" are NOT in the Premium catalog otherwise the count for iBookstore, Sony, Kobo, etc. would also be at least a count of 9. They are far below 9, and if this is accurate I find it interesting.

To avoid any ambiguity, to future respondents if you check "Smashwords (their own website)" please check all of the other places where you sell your eBook. Hopefully respondents have already been doing that so that the results are actually accurate. {Please note: I believe it is true that one could say self-publish to Kindle, B&N, iBookstore; and then use Smashwords to just gain access to Kobo, & Sony.}

Perhaps there's interest from people who, like Veinglory, have no idea where their publishers distribute their e-books.

This seems like more of a self-publishing question... I'm e-published, but I don't know the answer to the question because my publishers do it for me.

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks @Cao for the edit on poll

Changed thread title and poll question. Is it now more what you had in mind?

Thanks @Cao for the edit so perhaps third time will be the charm in getting at what I wanted. My intent was to find out where people are distributing/selling their eBooks.
"Is your eBook for sale on ________ website?" is what I am after and perhaps your wording will work fine to clarify things. Let's leave it as you have it otherwise the results will become less and less accurate.

While it is of some interest to me whether people are do-it-yourself, or having Smashwords do it for you, or having your publisher do it for you - that is a different poll. It is also of some interest to me whether people are selling non-fiction, fiction, or a combination as that might influence where they choose to distribute things, I had hoped that if someone voted they might also post and indicate that aspect. Oh well ...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
It's not really a case of "having your publisher do it for you" - that's the arrangement you enter into when you sign a contract with a publisher. It's agreed that you, the author, will let them deal with distribution and get the books to the websites.

Samhain and Carina distribute my books to a lot of websites. I don't even try to track them because it's their job, not mine.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com

Which is what I thought, too.

This does raise another question, though. If you use Smashwords, is there any advantage to also load your work directly to Apple (and Kobo, etc)?

lite1

Registered
Reaction score
Which is what I thought, too.

This does raise another question, though. If you use Smashwords, is there any advantage to also load your work directly to Apple (and Kobo, etc)?

As regards your specific ?, of whether there is advantage if you use Smashwords for you to also upload directly yourself: I would check with Smashwords, but it would seem that this would be unwise if your eBook is already on a seller website. Adding it a second time will be confusing to readers; might be a violation of your agreement with Smashwords; and probably is a violation of the terms of service agreement with any eBookstore website.

If you have created the ePub yourself, or paid a one-time fee to someone else to create an ePub for you AND it meets all of the requirements of a "seller website eBookstore" then the advantage would be a potential financial one. Instead of paying a portion of your royalty to Smashwords continuously, you get all of your royalty. The break even point if you paid a one-time fee is something you need to figure out. {For a simple eBook it seems that reputable people charge <$100 to give you an ePub file). An individual author can upload directly to at least Kindle, B&N, and iBookstore without an intermediary. As far as I know this is not currently possible for Kobo, but they expect it will be by summer.

The small company that I work for is not currently using Smashwords, and for others using them might have other advantages. We have the in-house expertise to create an ePub exactly how we want it, verify it exhaustively ourselves, and then where possible upload to selling vendor website. This is not possible for Sony for an individual author to do, so we will eventually use Smashwords or some other intermediary.

=======
To those who indicate that it is the job of their publisher ...
I hope that they are doing a good job on your behalf, and have no reason to imagine otherwise.

For us being knowledgeable about the eBook world, rules, and game either allows us to do things ourselves, or at least ask appropriate questions of those we might hire, and thereafter be able to monitor whether they are continuing to do a good and effective job. Everyone has a different business model including how much monitoring they do of any vendor they hire. It seems like there is plenty of anecdotal comments on this and other forums that would indicate that some publishers are not very good at the eBook game. At an even larger player level, there are those who say that B&N really is doing a poor job in the eBook arena, and they can supposedly hire some of the best "expertise."

However a lot of this is really for a different thread, and most of it is differences in style and opinions. There are many "right ways" to approach it.

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
As regards your specific ?, of whether there is advantage if you use Smashwords for you to also upload directly yourself: I would check with Smashwords, but it would seem that this would be unwise if your eBook is already on a seller website. Adding it a second time will be confusing to readers; might be a violation of your agreement with Smashwords; and probably is a violation of the terms of service agreement with any eBookstore website.
Thanks for your thoughts. However, I don't think may readers will be confused by a double listing. If they come across a novel with the same title and cover and author, they'll probably assume it's the same book.

As far as the Smashwords agreement goes, it's non-exclusive. They say this upfront and then add, "the Author or Publisher is free to Publish, license, market and sell their work elsewhere so long as the Author or Publisher is not violating someone else’s agreement or violating any laws" -- which strikes me as writer-friendly.

The reason I wonder if a self-published writer should list his/her own works is because I sell very little through Smashwords. In January, I had 50+ paid downloads from Amazon and a single purchase from Smashwords. Since I haven't done anything special to sell my words to Amazon's readers, I wonder if Smashwords is effectively reaching the audience in those other markets. (Ipad, Iphone, Sony/Kobo readers and so on.) If anyone knows, I'd appreciate a PM.

But enough about that. Back to the main question.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
I like to spread my print books with Lightning Sauce and probably the same for ebooks if and when I do them.

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
for now I only do kindle but I'm aiming for Goodreads and smashworld later

Status
Not open for further replies.