PDA

View Full Version : ROWLING SIGNS WITH LITTLE BROWN FOR NEW ADULT BOOK

thothguard51
02-24-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Rowling has signed with Little Brown for a new adult novel. Right now it sounds like a single book deal and Rowling said she is excited to go in a new direction with a new publisher.

I think this is a smart move for Little Brown as it will bring the fans of HP who are now adults to Little Brown for Rowling's new adult book. I am willing to bet there is a clause for any sequels even though this appears to be a one book deal...

Link...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/new-jk-rowling-book_n_1296367.html?ref=books#comments

So, who will follow?

Will Rowling's be able to pull off an adult novel?

Do you think her style will have to change or will her adult fans follow no matter the style of writing?

Any other thoughts...

jjdebenedictis
02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Don'tKnowDon'tCareWHOOHOO. Will read anything she writes. I trust her. :)

thothguard51
02-24-2012, 06:53 AM

I am sure Little Brown is glad to hear this...

jjdebenedictis
02-24-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm sure they had a spontaneous dance party on the tops of their desks the moment she said she was interested.

thothguard51
02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm sure they had a spontaneous dance party on the tops of their desks the moment she said she was interested.

True, she is a big coo for them. Her new editor says he is excited to work with her on a more adult oriented novel. I suspect he won't have to work that hard...

Toothpaste
02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
I'll read it :) .

Posted this in the YA thread on the same subject, but I think it's fun so I'm sharing it here. This is the front page for her agent's website where they announce that she has a book deal. Someone on Twitter suggested they should keep the title of the book featured here through to publication. It made me laugh, because truly, that's all you need to say: http://www.theblairpartnership.com/

thothguard51
02-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I suspect Rowlings might try something outside of fantasy...

Silver-Midnight
02-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I probably will get it. I think she's a good writer. So, I'm sure she will be fine. I'm not quite sure what she'll write though. Given that she's written fantasy for so long, she may not write fantasy. Or if she does, it may not be what we expect.

kasper
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm looking forward to reading whatever she writes next. I don't really care what genre she decides to write in.

gothicangel
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't get too far into the first HP book, so no, I won't be reading it.

Not that I think JKR will be crying over it. ;)

profen4
02-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Exciting news.
ao nguc vera (http://doxinh.com/danh-muc/thuong-hieu-do-lot/hang-vera/ao-nguc-vera/) ao lot nam goi cam (http://doxinh.com.vn/danh-muc/do-lot-nam/ao-lot-nam/) tui ngu cao cap cho be (http://doxinh.vn/danh-muc/do-dung-cho-be/tui-ngu-cho-be/) vest cong so nu (http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/vest-cong-so/) ao so mi nu (http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/ao-so-mi-cong-so/) cho thue trang phuc (http://roses.vn/)

Torgo
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
It didn't go to auction. There are a lot of very, very miffed publishers out there wondering how this came about.

Jamesaritchie
02-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Whatever it is, I'll read it.

Arcadia Divine
02-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I guess I feel mixed about it.

Phaeal
02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
True, she is a big coo for them.

Now, for all eternity, I will see the staff at Little, Brown and Company as pigeons, pecking celebratory bread crumbs off the conference room table. :D

IMO, the HP books were, like many animated movies, as well-suited to adults (who could appreciate JKR's wry voice) as to children (who could appreciate the more obvious fireworks.)

The later HP books were as complex as most adult fiction, and Bloomsbury acknowledged their grown-up appeal by issuing the entire series in "adult" editions as well as children's.

So, no, I've no fears that she can't write adult fiction. She's already done so.

I hope the new book will be fantasy, though. Something huge and tasty and weird like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Susan Littlefield
02-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I've never read a JK Rowling book because her subject matter never appealed to me, but I just might read one of her grown-up books. Congratulations to her! :D

Jamesaritchie
02-24-2012, 08:36 PM
It didn't go to auction. There are a lot of very, very miffed publishers out there wondering how this came about.

Just a guess, but if any writer out there doesn't need auction money, it's Rowling. She can afford to go with the publisher she most wants, rather than the one who offers the most money at auction.

And Little, Brown is one of the very best, anyway. I can't think of one I'd rather write for.

You can also bet she's going to make another fifteen tons of money, whatever the size of the advance.

Lady MacBeth
02-24-2012, 08:40 PM
I'll wait until the hype dies down and a few people have read it who can be objective. I've been disappointed by over-hyped novels before.

Terie
02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
(offtopic) Since when does someone's name take the possessive? :D (/offtopic)

heza
02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
I liked HP and I think Rowling is a great storyteller. My appreciation is probably not going to inspire me to cross genre lines, though. If she writes in an area I know I enjoy, then I'll buy the book. If she writes in something I don't already seek out, like crime thriller, then I'll probably pass.

Torgo
02-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Just a guess, but if any writer out there doesn't need auction money, it's Rowling. She can afford to go with the publisher she most wants, rather than the one who offers the most money at auction.

And Little, Brown is one of the very best, anyway. I can't think of one I'd rather write for.

You can also bet she's going to make another fifteen tons of money, whatever the size of the advance.

Agreed, but an auction isn't just about money; it's about the whole proposition. Little, Brown is one of the very best, but you'd think the rest of the very best might have been given a chance to prove that one of them is better. [/miffed]

heza
02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Little, Brown is one of the very best, but you'd think the rest of the very best might have been given a chance to prove that one of them is better. [/miffed]

I don't know. The general angst that she bypassed the auction process (if I understand the underlying issue) sort of implies (to me) that all publishers have a right, here. It might have been in her own best interests to see what others would have been willing to do for her, but she's not under any obligation to give them the opportunity if she knew, for whatever reason, that she definitely wanted to go with Little, Brown.

Torgo
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know. The general angst that she bypassed the auction process (if I understand the underlying issue) sort of implies (to me) that all publishers have a right, here. It might have been in her own best interests to see what others would have been willing to do for her, but she's not under any obligation to give them the opportunity if she knew, for whatever reason, that she definitely wanted to go with Little, Brown.

Oh, I'd never claim entitlement - no obligation on her; the angst is as much confusion as anything else, I think.

heza
02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Oh, I'd never claim entitlement - no obligation on her; the angst is as much confusion as anything else, I think.

Oh, nevermind then.

So they're more "When did that happen?" than "How dare she not let us bid?"

Snowstorm
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I look forward to reading it. She'll be under the microscope with people comparing this novel to her Harry Potter novels.

Torgo
02-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Oh, nevermind then.

So they're more "When did that happen?" than "How dare she not let us bid?"

Basically. We're all sort of wondering if we missed a trick somehow.

DreamWeaver
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I'd pre-order it right now if they'd let me :D.

Bogna
02-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I will probably end up reading it, even if I'm not really interested in the plot. Shes a huge inspiration of mine so I'm excited.

fredXgeorge
02-25-2012, 08:15 AM
I'd pre-order it right now if they'd let me :D.
Me too. I am so crazy excited about this. Like, oh my God, I still can't even believe it. I'll be pre-ordering it asap and waiting outside the bookshop for it to open, no matter what the genre. For some reason I feel it'll be a mystery or thriller.

blacbird
02-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Well, at least she didn't sign with Big Brown.

caw

artemis31386
02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Wasn't a HP fan because I don't like her writing style, so I won't be buying it.

elindsen
02-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Now hold back your gasps, but I have NEVER read anything by her. I've seen all of the Harry Potter movies but wasn't enough of a fan to pick up her work.

Fantasy isn't my cup of tea though

AlishaS
02-26-2012, 05:01 AM
I've never read her books either... *gasp* but the topic of HP never really grabbed my attention.
That said, I would probably pick up her adult book, read the blurb and a few pages... just to see.
I may buy it and I may not. You never know.

eward
02-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I will definitely read it. I kind of hope it's fantasy, but I understand why she'd do something different.

Jamesaritchie
02-27-2012, 01:55 AM

Since writing began.

Amadan
02-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Since writing began.

Really? They had possessives in cuneiform? Are you sure about that?

elindsen
02-27-2012, 02:03 AM
I've never read her books either... *gasp* but the topic of HP never really grabbed my attention.
That said, I would probably pick up her adult book, read the blurb and a few pages... just to see.
I may buy it and I may not. You never know.
Yay I am not alone!

That said, fantasy, especially hard-core fantasy which is what I would call HP isn't my thing. I can appreciate it for what it is, just not a genre for me.

Now if her new book sounds interesting I may read a few pages. Not ruling anything out.

Jamesaritchie
02-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Agreed, but an auction isn't just about money; it's about the whole proposition. Little, Brown is one of the very best, but you'd think the rest of the very best might have been given a chance to prove that one of them is better. [/miffed]

Well, yes, an auction is all about the money. Nothing about an auction proves one publisher is better than another. It proves only that one publisher is willing to bid more than another.

A publisher's history with other books and other writers has already shown which publisher is considered the best. There's nothing a publish can do to show they're better for new book until after they have a book, after they've promoted the book, and after the sales numbers come in. That's too late.

You have to go primarily by history, and by how a publisher reacts when you approach them, or they approach you, with a deal.

Auctions are not all that common with big, established writers. Assuming you have no contractual ties to a given publisher, it's better to choose the publisher you most want, and see if they'll offer you enough to give you no reason not to want them. If the offer is too low, you can always move on to another publisher, or an auction, , but you can bet that Little, Brown offered whatever Rowling asked for.

Given their druthers, no publisher wants an auction. Every publisher out there would prefer a writer come to them, skipping an auction altogether.

If a writer either doesn't need the money, or if the writer choice can get as much money from the publisher he wants, it would be silly to put a book up for auction.

And nothing stopped any publisher out there from calling Rowling's agent and saying "We can off you X amount of money, plus this, plus that, if you'll let us publish your next book."

But I doubt there was any way on earth Rowling even thought about putting her next book up for auction. It's just not the wisest move for a writer of her reputation.

Sirion
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm guessing a mystery novel.

Doesn't matter to me. I'd read the scribblings on an old napkin if it was written by Jo Rowling.

Smish
02-27-2012, 08:44 AM

+1

KalenO
02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Well, yes, an auction is all about the money. Nothing about an auction proves one publisher is better than another. It proves only that one publisher is willing to bid more than another.

I think what Torgo meant is when there's multiple offers on the table, its not just about the money. I have several friends who's books have gone to auction and not all of them always went with the highest offer, money wise....one was more impressed with the marketing strategy one house offered, another simply felt she connected better with the editor of a lower offering house than one who bid slightly higher, etc.

Honestly, even multi-million dollar advances are unlikely to even be noticeable in Rowling's bank accounts at this stage. She'll make the bulk of her money on this deal from the millions and millions of sales from former HP readers....just like she made her fortune off the sales of HP, not the advances. So yes, other publisher's offers could include more than just a higher dollar amount....they could have tried to offer higher royalties, better ebook rights, etc, etc.

Obviously both she and her agent know what they're doing, no one's arguing that, but it is a fallacy to say that all other publishers could have done to woo her in an auction would have been to just throw more money her way.

Nathaniel Bell
02-27-2012, 09:10 AM
I thought Joe Konrath said she was only going to release self pubbed on Kindle & Createspace from now on.

Forbes lists her as a billionaire so she must have made about 4-5 billion for publishers over the years.

Torgo
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I thought Joe Konrath said she was only going to release self pubbed on Kindle & Createspace from now on.

Forbes lists her as a billionaire so she must have made about 4-5 billion for publishers over the years.

It's just possible that Joe Konrath is wrong sometimes, I guess...

I doubt Bloomsbury have made 5 billion off Rowling, to be honest. A lot of Rowling's money will be from things like movie deals and merchandising, of which I think Bloomsbury probably won't have much of a cut, if anything.

Torgo
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM

With respect, this isn't quite true. It's also about the publisher's vision for how to publish the book. That's why when I am putting a pitch together for an author who has a hot book at auction, everyone from design to marketing and production has a hand in it. I've won auctions with the lowest bid before, simply because we've shown more care and attention. It doesn't *prove* we're a better house, but it tells the author something.

Given their druthers, no publisher wants an auction. Every publisher out there would prefer a writer come to them, skipping an auction altogether.

True, if you're the lucky publisher! When that happens though the unlucky publisher wishes there had been an auction. It's not your ideal situation.

And nothing stopped any publisher out there from calling Rowling's agent and saying "We can off you X amount of money, plus this, plus that, if you'll let us publish your next book."

But I doubt there was any way on earth Rowling even thought about putting her next book up for auction. It's just not the wisest move for a writer of her reputation.

Not really sure why there's reputation at issue with an auction, but hey, we already decided it isn't about money in Rowling's case. I think we just would all have liked a chance to charm her. Many of us are quite charming.

Terie
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM

So....what are you saying? That because someone totally and completely unrelated in any way whatsoever to JKR allegedly said something on his blog, it must be true?

Besides, you know what? I seriously doubt that Konrath is dumb enough to make a statement that JKR wasn't ever going to publish commercially again. Can you point us to such a statement made by Konrath?

Amadan
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Createspace? Are you for real?

Torgo
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I detect a certain amount of irony in Nathaniel's initial comment - could be wrong, but...

Terie
02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
For the record, I just googled konrath rowling createspace and found exactly no hits where Konrath said that Rowling wasn't going to use anything but Kindle and Createspace.

Which, as a matter of fact, was my main point.

Konrath might dish out a lot of misinformation, but let's be fair and not put words in his mouth that he didn't (as far as I can tell) actually say.

(Now, if someone can point to a post where he actually said this, I'll happily stand corrected. :))

TrixieLox
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Just to add, in an interview she did a coupla years ago here in the UK, she said she was working on something 'political' whatever that means. And the press here are going crazy speculating, with the main guesses being crime fiction. See this article. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/feb/24/jk-rowling-crime-fiction-clues)

I'm excited. I don't LOVE her writing style, per se, but her plotting skills are tresmaze!

Phaeal
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
I detect a certain amount of irony in Nathaniel's initial comment - could be wrong, but...

I thought it was dripping irony like maple syrup accelerated by melting butter.

This little guy -- ;) -- is one of my favorites for a reason.

;)

Amadan
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I thought it was dripping irony like maple syrup accelerated by melting butter.

This little guy -- ;) -- is one of my favorites for a reason.

;)

Dang. I guess my sarcasm meter needs recalibrating.

Phaeal
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Just to add, in an interview she did a coupla years ago here in the UK, she said she was working on something 'political' whatever that means. And the press here are going crazy speculating, with the main guesses being crime fiction. See this article. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/feb/24/jk-rowling-crime-fiction-clues)

I'm excited. I don't LOVE her writing style, per se, but her plotting skills are tresmaze!

There's plenty of sly politics in the HP books, so the "political" would be no surprise. As for the plotting skills, I think JKR has a natural genius there, though the HP juggernaut ended up with some gaping holes and tangles in its mantle -- not surprising in such a sprawling series, produced under extraordinary popular pressure for more, more, more.

Nathaniel Bell
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Here is the quote from Joe's blog, with the link at bottom.

Also see the link to Wired UK which reported the story. I've cut down on my drinking considerably and was sure I didn't imagine reading these things.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

JK Rowling Will Self-Pub Harry Potter Ebooks (http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/06/jk-rowling-will-self-pub-harry-potter.html)

Yes, you read correctly.

According to Wired.co.uk (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-06/23/pottermore-radiohead-publishing), the billionaire author is forsaking her print publishers and releasing her novels on her own.

Whoa.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/search?q=rowling

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-06/23/pottermore-radiohead-publishing

Phaeal
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh, Pottermore. I thought you meant Konrath was referring to her self-pubbing NEW novels, not the e-versions of the HP series.

Eddyz Aquila
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm looking forward. I loved HP, grew up with it, looking forward to see what she comes up with.

willietheshakes
02-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh, Pottermore. I thought you meant Konrath was referring to her self-pubbing NEW novels, not the e-versions of the HP series.

In your defense, that might be because that's what Nathaniel's first post intimated, what with the references to Kindle and CreateSpace, and nothing about Harry Potter...

But maybe that was just me.

Cyia
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM

She's "semi-self" publishing them. Scholastic's helping out, as is the site's sponsor, Sony. In return, Sony gets an exclusive for their new line of e-readers, which will come pre-loaded with the books and whatever other content comes with them.

And, as far as the new book goes, now Little Brown has the 2 biggest current children's/YA authors on their list - Rowling and Meyer.

Nathaniel Bell
02-28-2012, 03:10 AM
She's "semi-self" publishing them. Scholastic's helping out, as is the site's sponsor, Sony. In return, Sony gets an exclusive for their new line of e-readers, which will come pre-loaded with the books and whatever other content comes with them.

Now there's a thought, preloaded books on devices. It's more nefarious than any bundled software scheme Microsoft ever devised.

Then again if you don't want vampire stuff, werewolf stuff or whatever preloaded, you might be tempted to buy a content neutral device.

Nathaniel Bell
02-28-2012, 03:13 AM
In your defense, that might be because that's what Nathaniel's first post intimated, what with the references to Kindle and CreateSpace, and nothing about Harry Potter...

But maybe that was just me.

Yup, my bad.

I'm so psyched on the Kindle, Konrath, Hocking, Locke juggernaut taking over everything that I just assumed... and you know what happens when you assume.

ios
02-28-2012, 04:38 AM

While I can understand editors and publishing houses might get miffed at not having a whack at it, I also understand the other side. That if you, the writer, know what you want and you can get it, then you can go for it. It seems like she (and her representation) has enough clout that she can. So ... why not?

Jodi

ios
02-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Basically. We're all sort of wondering if we missed a trick somehow.

A trick?

Jodi

Torgo
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
While I can understand editors and publishing houses might get miffed at not having a whack at it, I also understand the other side. That if you, the writer, know what you want and you can get it, then you can go for it. It seems like she (and her representation) has enough clout that she can. So ... why not?

Jodi

From her point of view, why not? I'm really not saying anyone's under any obligation to offer us anything. From our point of view, it's just a bit frustrating.

Torgo
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
A trick?

Jodi

In the card-playing sense - did we miss out because we weren't paying attention.

JimmyB27
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
My first thought on reading the thread title was 'Rowling's what signs with Little Brown?' ;)

I might read this. I read a couple of Harry Potters and they were ok, but so very clearly books for kids that I couldn't get that into them. An adult book will probably be better.

Phaeal
02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
I might read this. I read a couple of Harry Potters and they were ok, but so very clearly books for kids that I couldn't get that into them. An adult book will probably be better.

I and a lot of other adults have already disagreed with your assessment, to the tune of many millions of dollars. It also strikes me that Little, Brown greatly increased its Twilight earnings by putting sophisticated covers on the books, making it easy for adults to tote around books "so very clearly for teenagers."

Cross-over's where the really big money is.

Speaking of which. Right now I'm interested in the marketing for Baggott's Pure. I see nothing to distinguish it from other dytopians labeled YA, but it seems Grand Central is trying to skew this one toward the adults, and the NYT Book Review went along this week with a review not relegated to its regular YA section. From the prominent blurbs by Justin Cronin, Danielle Trussoni and Aimee Bender I also infer "adult" rather than "YA." Yet the cover's YA down to the curvy title font and that butterfly that's been showing up on so many YAs of late. Waiting to see which list the NYT will put it on.

I'd view it as a sort of evolution if Pure got on the adult list while Hunger Games remains in the "kiddie ghetto." ;)

jjdebenedictis
02-29-2012, 01:32 AM
I and a lot of other adults have already disagreed with your assessment, to the tune of many millions of dollars. To be fair, if you start reading from book 1, which is only sensible, they are very very very obviously kids' books (at first.)

They absolutely do get more sophisticated, but as a hard-core Potter fan, I can't say I found the first three books as good as the ones that came after. I found the first ones too simple.

JimmyB27
02-29-2012, 04:34 AM
I and a lot of other adults have already disagreed with your assessment, to the tune of many millions of dollars.
Just because there are a lot of you, doesn't mean you aren't wrong.... ;)

Phaeal
02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Just because there are a lot of you, doesn't mean you aren't wrong.... ;)

The wise publisher wouldn't -- and doesn't -- label potential customers wrong.

ios
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
In the card-playing sense - did we miss out because we weren't paying attention.

Ah, I knew I wasn't catching the meaning, and reading so many Georgette Heyers (with their interesting lingo) made me wonder if it were publisher lingo :-)

Jodi

Atlantis
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Why do people keep asking if she can "pull off" an adult book? It's like they're saying any old idiot can write children's books and it takes more effort and time and talent to write something adults would like. HP did not read like a children's book to me. It was intelligent, rich, dark and honest. It did not sugar coat anything! One of my favorite lines is in the last book when Ron's mum shouts "Not my daughter you bitch!" It totally shocked me because I could not believe JK had the balls to use that word in what was considered a "children's" series. She had so much respect for the HP readers. She did not dumb down anything. That's what I loved about her. She's not one of those people who wants to wrap kid in bubble wrap and plug their ears with soap.

Frankly, I find it hilarious that people are even wondering if she can make it as an "adult" fiction writer. The woman wrote Harry Potter!! I think she's proven that she can be success at writing and has fans in all age groups.

KTC
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I could not get through a single Harry Potter book. I tried almost every one. My daughter was in to them, so we had them all in the house...I just couldn't read them. Did not like at all.

Recently, while my daughter and son-in-law were staying with us, we had a Harry Potter movie marathon. We watched them ALL. I did enjoy them. They are both Potter addicts.

So...I liked the movies, couldn't stomach the books.

I will, for sure, give this upcoming book a chance. I never completely give up. I'm sure my daughter will lend it to me a couple of days after the release...after both her and my son-in-law have read it. (-;

Old Hack
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Why do people keep asking if she can "pull off" an adult book? It's like they're saying any old idiot can write children's books and it takes more effort and time and talent to write something adults would like.

I don't read it like that: I think it takes a particular skill-set to write books for adults, and a different but just as hard-won skill-set to write books for younger people. Just as some people write SF/F very well and others write crime.

Phaeal
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I think the line between "children's" and "adult's" is far more fluid than most people think. I could read books like Hiroshima in third grade. Now I can read books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Enjoyed the adult books then, enjoy the kid books now.

The explosion of the YA market (ain't just teens reading the books) and the ability of eight-year-olds to get through the adult-level convolutions and terrifying bad-birth imagery of The Deathly Hallows prove I'm far from singular.

Nakhlasmoke
03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I think the line between "children's" and "adult's" is far more fluid than most people think. ....

The explosion of the YA market (ain't just teens reading the books) and the ability of eight-year-olds to get through the adult-level convolutions and terrifying bad-birth imagery of The Deathly Hallows prove I'm far from singular.

Agreed 100%

I also think there's a vast chunk of what is called YA today that used to just get shelved in Fantasy.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to Rowling's new book.

JustinlDew
03-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I suspect Rowlings might try something outside of fantasy...

She said when during a hp7 release interview that she was working on a "Political Fairy Tale"
*sniff* I smell satire.

Phaeal
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
"Fairy tale" smells of fantasy.

The politics has always been there, more and more explicitly.

JustinlDew
03-03-2012, 05:03 AM
I know that but Politics in my book always means a bit of satire.

Lyxdeslic
03-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Hold on, need to raid the linen closet for a napkin to sop up this drool.

Prediction: this will outsell whichever HP novel currently tops her sales.

Can't. F'ing. Wait.

Lyx

rachelmachelsmachel
03-03-2012, 08:38 AM
I think it's definitely a smart move for Little Brown. Look at the percentage of people who posted saying they'll read it just because it's her?

I won't be, for the same reason :P

willietheshakes
03-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Prediction: this will outsell whichever HP novel currently tops her sales.

Not a chance in hell.

fredXgeorge
04-12-2012, 05:46 PM
THE CASUAL VACANCY will be released on Thursday, September 27th.

"When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.
Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems.
And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?"

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/5570

gothicangel
04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a cozy. Definitely not my thing.

I had hoped she would have gone a bit more like Ian Rankin.

tmesis
04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds like Hot Fuzz (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425112/). ;)

HannahLovely
04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm so excited for this! I'm not usually a reader of mystery novels, but I would read a knitting instruction manual if it had her name on it.

The thing I'm most excited about is simply that she's an excellent plotter. I feel that if you can make a book's plot so intricate and amazingly well thought out (like the HP books) than the book should be a pretty good read. And I think such good plotting skills will definitely be make for a good mystery :)

Torgo
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Midsomer Muggles.

dangerousbill
04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Do you think her style will have to change or will her adult fans follow no matter the style of writing?

Since the adult readers of HP outnumbered the youthful readers, I'd guess that she should stick with the style that made her billions.

If adult means 'not fantasy', that's where the risk lies.

Terie
04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Since the adult readers of HP outnumbered the youthful readers, (snip)

How do you figure this? Are there stats that say there were more adult readers of HP than kid readers?

Mr Flibble
04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, a lot of the kids reading it at the start (which was what, 15 years ago?) or even who joined half way through would be/might be adults now, sooooo. :D

But yeah, are there any stats? How would you find them?

thothguard51
04-12-2012, 09:17 PM
When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?"

To me, this sound boring. You would think a better blurb could be issued to entice...

Soccer Mom
04-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Midsomer Muggles.

Win.

TudorRose
04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Midsomer Muggles.

hahahaha, SPOT ON!

The plot description has just come through on Publishers Lunch too, so I guess it's legit.

Jamesaritchie
04-12-2012, 09:44 PM
How do you figure this? Are there stats that say there were more adult readers of HP than kid readers?

I don't know whether this is true, simply because there's no way to know exactly who read a book, but the sales numbers certainly suggest it's true. You just can't get such numbers without a huge percentage of adult readers.

And while it's anecdotal, I know ten adults who read Harry Potter for every kid, and the internet is simply full of adult readers.

And if you went to the Harry Potter movies, you probably saw the same thing I did, which was theaters full of adults. When the last Harry Potter movie opened here, the line stretched around the block and down the street, and no more than ten percent of those in the line were children.

There is no way I know of actually counting adult versus children readers, but it's certain that one hell of a lot of adults read the books and watched the movies.

Phaeal
04-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I'll check it out -- hey, I love fraught goings on in small English towns, hence my abiding attachment to Anthony Trollope. But this sounds so different from HP that I fear much of her fan base will be put off. From YA fantasy to adult social dramedy is a big step.* I'd expect much lower pre-orders than something fantasy would have garnered, with fans waiting to see this strange new beast before buying.

Oh well. She doesn't need the money, and it was pretty much inevitable that her follow-up to the Potter series (short of more Potter) would be in comparison a spectacular financial let-down. But only in comparison. I'll wager Little, Brown makes a few bucks.

And I'm hoping her native talent will be more evident than ever and earn her a resounding critical success.

* Though not a surprising step. Rowling's interest in things social and political was evident in HP, especially in the later books.

Chasing the Horizon
04-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Actually, the fact the book ISN'T fantasy makes me more likely to pick it up. JKR's world-building had me laughing out loud at its ridiculousness, but she's a fantastic plotter and character writer, so a book that hangs on those skills exclusively will probably be brilliant.

Though, I'm not certain I'm capable of forgiving her for the disaster that was Deathly Hallows. But I might try . . .

elindsen
04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
To me, this sound boring.

I almost fell alseep reading it. I have never read anything by JKR but I have seen all of the HP movies. They dragged.

gothicangel
04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
To me, this sound boring. You would think a better blurb could be issued to entice...

Yep. My initial reaction was: Read It, several hundred times before.

bearilou
04-13-2012, 05:35 PM
The only thing I'm watching for is fan fallout. Fans can be persnickety creatures and turn on an author on a dime. Fans of her Harry Potter books will be clamoring for this but I have to wonder what the hue and cry will sound like when they realize this book is not in the same vein as Harry Potter. Yesyesyes, it's been announced it's not like Harry Potter but some fans, even though they nod like they understand, may not really be grokking* that.

I predict a lot of accusations of betrayal and shark jumping are going to occur. Because some fans can be that way.

*I find it funny that my spell check has grok/king in its list

LittleKiwi
04-14-2012, 12:46 AM
The blurb doesn't interest me overly, but I'll read it because it's her.

Kweei
04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I loved her Harry Potter books, but this isn't something that interests me. I wish her continued success, though.

FOTSGreg
04-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Sounds like Rowling's version of Needful Things.

brainstorm77
04-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I'll buy it. :)

Paul
04-14-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Rowling has signed with Little Brown for a new adult novel. Right now it sounds like a single book deal and Rowling said she is excited to go in a new direction with a new publisher.

I think this is a smart move for Little Brown as it will bring the fans of HP who are now adults to Little Brown for Rowling's new adult book. I am willing to bet there is a clause for any sequels even though this appears to be a one book deal...

Link...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/new-jk-rowling-book_n_1296367.html?ref=books#comments

So, who will follow?

Will Rowling's be able to pull off an adult novel?

Any other thoughts...
nothing in her writing suggests to me adult appeal ability.

still, time will tell.

readitnweep
04-14-2012, 04:29 AM
I was a huge fan of most of the Harry Potter books, but this doesn't interest me in the slightest, so unless someone I trust reads it and tells me it's worlds better than I expect from the posted summary, I won't read it. I confess my book purchases are based solely on the plot summary. Even books written by authors I enjoy - if I don't care for the summary, or, worse, there is none because the author is so popular, I pass it by.

Cyia
04-14-2012, 04:35 AM

You mean aside from the sales record attached to it, the adults creating Quidditch leagues and conventions with nary a kidlet to be seen?

Nakhlasmoke
04-14-2012, 10:22 AM

still, time will tell.

So...she wrote a book aimed at children, and from that you can tell how she will write for adults.

I'm impressed. :P

bearilou
04-14-2012, 03:48 PM
So...she wrote a book aimed at children, and from that you can tell how she will write for adults.

Isn't one of the selling points to Harry Potter is that as her original readership grew, so did her ability to tell a story? And in that as the children grew up to be adults, her ability to tell an adult story evolved out of that?

Just asking because from that, I could see why Paul would draw that conclusion.

gothicangel
04-14-2012, 05:02 PM

Woah! Nice way to jump down someone's throat just because someone expressed an opinion.

I can see where Paul is coming from. I'll not buy it, but I will certainly pick up a copy in Waterstone's and read the first chapter. But from my experience of HP, I'm not expecting to be convinced into buying it. Had it been a straight political novel, without the cozy setting I would have maybe been more intrigued.

Jamesaritchie
04-14-2012, 10:04 PM

still, time will tell.

Well, nothing other than the fact that millions and millions of adults made her extremely rich because they loved her writing.

I've been an adult for forty years, and I love her writing.

Paul
04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Good lord, we've been down this crazy side-tracked you say, me say road already.

I gave my opinion to the OP's question, grand. end of.

so, back to the OP....

Phaeal
04-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Opinion has nothing to do with JKR's ability to intrigue adult readers. She's already amply demonstrated that ability, via her sales receipts.

Jamesaritchie
04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Opinion has nothing to do with JKR's ability to intrigue adult readers. She's already amply demonstrated that ability, via her sales receipts.

Exactly. No writer appeals to everyone, child or adult, but Rowling has, just as you say, proven she can write in a way that makes millions of adults want to read her books.

She's done so by actual sales, and this book will probably sell more copies before it's even published than most writers will sell in a lifetime, simply because millions of adults loved her other books.

Mustafa
04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
She's done so by actual sales, and this book will probably sell more copies before it's even published than most writers will sell in a lifetime, simply because millions of adults loved her other books.

I have no idea what the subject matter is for this book. I don't even know what genre it's going to be in. But I will be buying the book, sight unseen as soon as it's available. I'll buy it because she is one of the best story tellers I've ever read and I trust that her latest installment is not going to disappoint. The only other author I do that with is Neil Gaiman. (I am an adult, btw)