Setting up a secret radio station?

Morwen Edhelwen

Registered
Reaction score
So, a female character in my dieselpunk WIP (mentor figure for the protagonist) needs to set up a secret radio station to make broadcasts as a way of forming a resistance movement against the current President. The problem is I have no idea how this would be done. (I've done some searches)
Does anyone here know anything about how someone could set up an underground radio station and make the broadcasts untraceable? (thinking of something like numbers stations, but much less cryptic)

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Keep it moving. If it's on a truck you could simply drive while broadcasting. As long as each broadcast was kept relatively short you could get away with it for a while.

Morwen Edhelwen

Registered
Reaction score
That could work. Is there a way it could be done in a building, though? (Your suggestion reminds me of the history unit I did on Bolshevik Russia)

BillPatt

Banned
Reaction score
All radio broadcasts are traceable at some level (I am leaving out things like microburst and frequency-hopping radios). The moving radio in the truck is your best bet for keeping the broadcasters alive. On the other hand, you could have fun if you were able to piggyback on the carrier wave of another legitimate broadcaster. Depending on the technology of your WIP, you could run digital radio on an AM station, or vice-versa. Or you could try to use power lines as your transmitting elements. It all depends on the degree of arm-waving you want to perform.

Generically, though, pirate radio is best done with the purloined letter technique. Mask what you are broadcasting in the middle of legitimate activity. Blend in with CB traffic. Operate a legitimate radio station, but the music played, or the DJ chatter, has preassigned meaning. Think of it as aural steganography. First letter of the second word in each sentence spells out the message sort of thing.

But the Hogan's Heroes idea of running an antenna up the flagpole just isn't going to work.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
When I worked in the Levant, there was a radio station that had the station ID "The Voice of Peace, from Somewhere in the Mediterranean" Illegal, but a great station...it was on a boat, google it.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
It all depends what kind of resources are being applied to locate the operators. If the enemy try hard enough, they'll find it.

Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmgrant.com
There's a book called 'SoE Syllabus' released by the British National Archives a few years ago which contains lecture notes used for training the agents who were dropped into Europe in WWII to work with the resistance. It was out of print for a while but seems to be available again now; it contains a few pages on wireless operator security and if you're writing about a resistance movement in that kind of era you'd probably find a lot of other useful information in there.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
There are books on pirate radio stations, this one looks helpful. The thing about pirate radio is the FCC eventually does find them. The moving truck mentioned upthread has been one method that's been used in the past.

However, you're talking about an alternate dieselpunk reality where the rules may not apply the same way.

Coded messages are one way to broadcast a secret message, but that requires the cooperation of the broadcaster.

There is the "carrier current" method which is right beneath FCC rules. You can buy a carrier current transmitter from a transmitter company, and it transmits the signal into a building's electrical system legally. In your situation, you could theoretically send that signal into multiple buildings or even the electrical grid of entire city. If the listeners know the frequency, they could tune in and listen. The messages could still be coded in case regular listeners find it.

This is technically possible in a sci-fi-like setting if you can get the tech-talk across in a believable way. I'm sure seasoned broadcast engineers would shake their heads at it, but then my sister, a research scientist shakes her head at Jurrasic Park. But that dinosaur cloning technique looked believable to me.

Then there's short wave, a more traditional method for broadcasting pirate stations and sending coded messages (the numbers stations, for instance). Put the station on a boat in international waters and broadcast day and night.

Morwen Edhelwen

Registered
Reaction score
There are books on pirate radio stations, this one looks helpful. The thing about pirate radio is the FCC eventually does find them. The moving truck mentioned upthread has been one method that's been used in the past.

However, you're talking about an alternate dieselpunk reality where the rules may not apply the same way.

Coded messages are one way to broadcast a secret message, but that requires the cooperation of the broadcaster.

There is the "carrier current" method which is right beneath FCC rules. You can buy a carrier current transmitter from a transmitter company, and it transmits the signal into a building's electrical system legally. In your situation, you could theoretically send that signal into multiple buildings or even the electrical grid of entire city. If the listeners know the frequency, they could tune in and listen. The messages could still be coded in case regular listeners find it.

This is technically possible in a sci-fi-like setting if you can get the tech-talk across in a believable way. I'm sure seasoned broadcast engineers would shake their heads at it, but then my sister, a research scientist shakes her head at Jurrasic Park. But that dinosaur cloning technique looked believable to me.

Then there's short wave, a more traditional method for broadcasting pirate stations and sending coded messages (the numbers stations, for instance). Put the station on a boat in international waters and broadcast day and night.
Thanks, underthecity!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Don't forget Border Blasters. The police can't caught your radio station if you're broadcasting from outside the nation's borders, right?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget Border Blasters. The police can't caught your radio station if you're broadcasting from outside the nation's borders, right?
Clever, particularly if the next-country-over hates your nation's government, and is willing to encourage your broadcasts to cause trouble. And, get nasty if the govenment tries to send troops to shut your radio station down.