What makes you cry?

What Makes You Cry?

• Every movie I see, I cry.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Romantic movies

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Slapstick comedies--I laugh 'til I cry.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Black and white classic movies

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Any well-done movie touches me.

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • I am dead inside. I never cry.

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, come on! Fess up, folks.

It's counted as crying if your eyes get misty.

Me, I can cry buckets at movies, as long as I'm watching them by myself. Even if it's just my husband in the room and he has tears streaming down his face.

Movies that have made me cry: (by no means a complete one)

"The Color Purple"
the last 15 minutes of "Forrest Gump"
"Benji" (when I was eight, and that white dog got kicked)
"March of the Penguins" (boy, it sucks to be a penguin!)
"What Dreams May Come"

But anything Mystery Science Theater 3000 has made me laugh until I cry--and almost pass out! (Except, ironically, their big-screen release.)

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Extreme Home Makeover...sheesh, gets me every time.
Anything where someone dies, on TV or in a movie, I get all misty-eyed. I hate that!
Heck, some commericals get to me...

Oddly enough, real life things rarely make me cry. Unless a kitty or puppy is involved...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Gosh darn it, I hate to be such a downer. But my dad and I were struck down in a crosswalk by a speeding truck. And it was witnessed by all of my 30-year-old friends, the softball team, and the bleacher audience. Sadly he died next to me, when I wish the Lord had taken me instead. He was the little absent minded professor type, a cute, soft-spoken wonderful human being. And every time I think of that event, I mist up and feel a knot in my throat. He was my bestest friend in the whole world.

The fact that I'm here I guess is a SOS issue, only I did not have the courage to relive that in the book, so I did not contribute.

Well, you did ask me what made me cry. Sorry.

Triceratops

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an everyday crier. It takes a lot. I don't cry at movies. I used to think something was wrong with me because I never cry at funerals or anything like that.

I didn't cry when my father found out he had cancer, but I cried when I saw how emaciated he became. (He's fine now.) I cried when my sister had two strokes. I cried when my brother in law died and I was in the room with him, even though he went very peacefully.

What gets me the most is seeing someone humiliated or degraded. Seeing a child abused or the results of that abuse. Seeing an animal abused or the results of that abuse. Seeing the elderly in a nursing home neglected and forgotten about by their family and the hope that those wonderful people have every single day...the hope that today their family will come to see them. Inhumane behavior inflicted on the undeserving. That's what makes me cry the most.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Very well put, Carole. As the result of my trauma, I can not stand to be in a room where people are yelling at each other. It tears me up to see anyone cry from verbal or physical abuse--not children so much as adults. Don't know why that is. I deliberately avoid confrontation now, and can't understand how people can hurl cruel words at each other, when our time here is so limited. Everyone deserves to be happy and chase dreams. We all want for the same thing. I want people to enjoy their lives, love their neighbors and family, and be happy with every day of their existence.

Tri

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The Color Purple" every time.

Good movies- "Steel Magnolias" you know the scene; every time.

children with cancer
aninmal cruelty stories
when Richard Pryor died (that was weird, I'm not related)
when my mom forgets my birthday
when I think of my little brother who disowned me because he became wealthy
if I see other people cry
9/11/01- for days
tragic stories
Home Makeover
the electric and gas bill
car insurance rates
the grocery bill
when there's only one toy in the cereal and six eyes looking at you
cutting onions
when my hubby cuts the cheese
when some tourist puts a dollar in a slot machine and wins a million bucks on their first try, here in Vegas (I hate that!)
When Madona got her picture book published and when Jamie Lee Kurtis got her picture book published about diareah. grrrr
when someone wins the jack pot at bingo and I'm only one away for about 15 calls.
and when someone corrects my spelling (not that any of you nice people do).

So, yea, basically I'm always bawling.

Terri

Puddle Jumper

Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Did anyone see the recent episode where there was a single dad with three young girls and the mom had died not long before? When that six year old burst out in tears I couldn't help it.

Certain elements make me cry in a movie but I'm not really sure how to explain it.

I cried at the end of "Return of the King" when everyone bowed down to the four Hobbits.

I cried in "Benji The Hunted" when the cub died.

I got teary eyed in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when they returned to the stadium and Harry was crying over the body.

I cried in "Trapped in Silence" when Kiefer Sutherland's character recounted the abuse that led to his sister's death when he was a little boy and saw his sister's brains spill out on the floor.

I cried when I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when he unwrapped the mirror and realized what it could have done piror to everything.

I cried when Jesus was tortured in "The Passion."

I cried for months after 9/11 when I watched the news.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
onions combined with the results of yesterday's snack of stale hardboiled eggs and warm beer.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thinking about Rtilryarms's sensitive side chokes me up. Salut, Mike!

(The notion of kids and old folks in harm's way bothers me, too. A lot.)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see stubbing my baby toe as a choice. THAT sure makes me cry!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Star Spangled Banner

>''<

- which also wasn't a choice -

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I have dry eyes, so unfortunately tears don't come, but I do feel overwhelmed sometimes at the sadness in the world...

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
As the result of my trauma, I can not stand to be in a room where people are yelling at each other.

Tri
I absolutely agree. I cannot be around confrontation. My sister and her husband argue and i have to leave. It makes no sense to me either, when life is so precious and short.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot something. I get completely choked up at the sound of marching bands. I have NO idea why and it seems very irrational. I've never been able to explain it, but even when I see a marching band on TV i get a knot in my throat.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were watching our local parade celebrating the township fair this summer, and I did the same thing, Carole.

I sat in the third row of our minivan yesterday with my four-year-old on the way to town and back (45 min drive each way) and serenaded him w/ Christmas songs along w/ the radio. I had to stop a number of times because the lump in my throat was too big to sing around.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
OMG!!! Look at your beautiful family! Oh, what a sweet new little bundle of joy and what adorable little ones!!!

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Puddle Jumper said:
Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Did anyone see the recent episode where there was a single dad with three young girls and the mom had died not long before? When that six year old burst out in tears I couldn't help it.
I watched that entire episode with a giant lump in my throat. When the kid started crying...how could anyone watch that and not have their heart break?

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
writerterri said:
"The Color Purple" every time.

Good movies- "Steel Magnolias" you know the scene; every time.

children with cancer
aninmal cruelty stories
when Richard Pryor died (that was weird, I'm not related)
when my mom forgets my birthday
when I think of my little brother who disowned me because he became wealthy
if I see other people cry
9/11/01- for days
tragic stories
Home Makeover
the electric and gas bill
car insurance rates
the grocery bill
when there's only one toy in the cereal and six eyes looking at you
cutting onions
when my hubby cuts the cheese
when some tourist puts a dollar in a slot machine and wins a million bucks on their first try, here in Vegas (I hate that!)
When Madona got her picture book published and when Jamie Lee Kurtis got her picture book published about diareah. grrrr
when someone wins the jack pot at bingo and I'm only one away for about 15 calls.
and when someone corrects my spelling (not that any of you nice people do).

So, yea, basically I'm always bawling.

Terri

I love this list. Only think I can think to add is AT & T commercials.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time getting through the movie "My Life" (1993) with Michael Keaton without getting choked up.

Another movie that used to get me choked up, (and I wonder if anyone will have even heard of it), is "Bulletproof Heart" (1995) with Anthony LaPaglia and Mimi Rogers. The very last scene does it.

I think great movies / great characters / great actors have the ability to connect with the audience and suddenly you're feeling what they are feeling. I also think if a specific scene mirrors a difficult situation in your own life, you might get choked up by it too.

Take care all -

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
i cry at most films and even at the bar when i'm at work and a customer looks upset, i just have to go round the back and cry. i'm a bit moist, as they say

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Dead Poet's Society when they all stood on their desks
Children of a Lesser God when she came back to him
Gandhi - several times
Rabbit Proof Fence
Kong
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Casablanca

Uncountable other movies. I cry/mist up easily. Those are just the ones that first came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.