PDA

View Full Version : Prestigious Workshop worth the cost?

lacygnette
02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm considering applying to Breadloaf. It's quite pricey, but if I can get in (a big if), I feel pretty sure it will be beneficial to me in terms of the writing.

However, I was wondering if it would also be something to catch an agent's eye. Anyone out there with that experience?

Thanks and happy President's Day...

edit: Or are there other workshops that you all can recommend?

Old Hack
02-22-2012, 09:00 PM
There are usually several agents at conventions and you might well catch the eye of one or two of them--if your work is good enough, and is the sort of thing they're looking for.

But I don't think conventions give you much of an advantage over submitting in the usual way, and they're a very expensive gamble if that's all you're going along for.

You're probably far better off using conventions as a way to improve your writing with a few networking opportunities thrown in for good measure, in my opinion.

augusto
02-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Went there 30 years ago on a 'working' scholarship. I imagine they still have such a thing. We waited tables. I think we had to pay $100 and I made more than that in tips. It was a blast. Got my first short story published out of the deal, too.

lacygnette
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. I will apply for the working scholarship - yes, they still have it. I've also applied for the scholarship for women who came to writing in an unorthdox manner and work outside of academia.

I appreciate the feedback!

ETA: I just found this link about the waiters at Breadloaf. Very encouraging...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ru-freeman/bussing-tables-writing-bo_b_856972.html

augusto
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the link. It brought back some great memories, particularly the wait staff readings. Ours must have been the first year they used the theater. The first night's readings were held in a regular classroom and they had to turn people away. The second night they moved us to the theater. Come to think of it, that was the first time I read in public.

Good luck! Keep us posted...