Does the new series 'The Secret Circle' drive anyone else nuts?

julzperri

Caffeine & trying not to scream.
Registered
Reaction score
I shouldn't be so tough, but as a Vampire Diaries lover, I thought that 'The Secret Circle' would be great also - I know I shouldn't have set my expectation up before I'd seen it.

The stupid discrepancies drive me nuts! For example, the woman who hadn't moved from her chair in 16 years could get up and throw her brother through a wall - how could she even walk? In another episode, two of the main characters are getting hot and heavy in a woodshed, then five seconds later join the drama scene down by the lake... why'd they stop going at it? How come they'd gone down there in the pouring rain?

Also there are heaps of other things that just don't seem to marry up, like the MC is in danger so lets just whip up a spell that'll work... I don't know perhaps I'm just being a bully.

I will say, the little kid singing for the theme (when they show the title of the series) it sufficiently creepy.

I guess I just need to deal with stuff I thought would be better explained... perhaps 'The Vampire Diaries' does this too but I'm blinded by love. Anyone else feel the same?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to port this to TV/Movie forum for discussion there. Hang onto your hats...

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
I've only seen a few random episodes. For some reason I keep missing it although I have every intention of watching. Maybe I will find the past eps online somewhere.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I've been watching it from the beginning. It's had it's interesting moments but there's a lot of WTF-ery lately.

And I still haven't forgiven them for killing off Nick. He had potential to be a bad boy who gets really bad and/or redeems himself.

If you haven't come across it yet check out the weekly recaps on the Forever Young Adult blog.

julzperri

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not too keen on the whole killing Nick so damn early (also my boyfriend's name is Nick so I liked the character anyway!).. but he definitely had potential to be a bad boy - or a reformed bad boy.

Definitely a lot of wtf-ery... it's starting to detract from the story a little for me. Glad someone else feels the same!

Btw Barbara - LOVE the dp :p

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I had to give up on it.

I liked the idea of the Circle and how all the witches benefit from working together, but this series screams too much of the whole "authors can pull anything out of their ass" problem that any Urban Fantasy suffers from. It's a big enough turn off for me to let it go.

Also I hated Nick. Dude was kind of a douche.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm enjoying it. It's a nice warmup for Vampire Diaries. (I watch CS first on the DVR.)

My issue is that I find Cassie such a difficult character to invest in. VD's Elena had me on board ASAP, but Cassie is "jarring" as a character. I find Faye and Diana far more interesting. Adam drives me nuts. Jake is okay.

Even the parents are more compelling as characters.

But, I do think it's improving, slowly.

I do think Cassie is grossly miscast. I think they were trying too hard to get away from dark-hair/dark-eyed Elena and went too California girl blondie/pert for my taste.

I will say this, I'm happy that Blackwell is in the picture. He's gonna shake things up!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely not as into it as I am TVD. I can't say I loved Elena right away, but I did love the supporting cast. I had also read TVD as a kid and was willing to give the show a chance. To tell the truth, what kept me around at first was Jeremy--the random, additional brother.

I also read and loved TCS as a kid, and I don't know what it is, but this show doesn't feel the same to me at all. So it doesn't have that to carry it for me until I actually develop an interest. Both Cassie and Adam irk me. I don't like the way they cast Cassie (despite having liked that actress in two other shows), and the "chemistry" between her and Adam felt all kinds of randomly magical. I'm also very annoyed by the way these kids approach problem solving, and if Cassie goes off and does one more Very Bad Thing that ends up endangering her circle without telling anyone, I'll have to start taking meds.

That said, I'm finally starting to see a little actual chemistry between Cassie and Adam. I was excited by the Jake triangle, but I think only because he's so intense and it was riveting compared to what was happening around it. Now that Cassie has figured out he's not for her, the connection to Adam is beginning to feel genuine (and he's so much better as the not-jealously-raging-destined-but-not-yet boyfriend).

So with Adam being rational, Cassie not doing stupid stuff, her dad back in the picture, Adam's crazy, star-talking dad staying sober, Diana not mooning over Adam, and her dad not taking direction from Faye's mother... I think the show might actually turn a corner soon.

*crosses fingers*

julzperri

Registered
Reaction score
My issue is that I find Cassie such a difficult character to invest in. VD's Elena had me on board ASAP, but Cassie is "jarring" as a character. I find Faye and Diana far more interesting. Adam drives me nuts. Jake is okay.

I'm with you there. I love Faye... my friends think that I'm a weirdo, but her character is way more interesting.. not to mention consistent thank god. Cassie just doesn't work for me.

I'm so glad that Blackwell showed up... not to sound creepy, but he's pretty damn fine. Schmexy older men!

I have to agree with Heza... that it might turn a corner soon. I felt it had wayyy too much crap going on that didn't link or make sense.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
So, how many of you think Faye is Cassie's half-sister? Didn't someone say Blackwell had another child?

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
i always give a show a whole season unless its SO bad i just can't stand it. this is because it takes some shows a few episodes to really catch their stride. for example, i thought vampire diaries sucked for like the first four or five episodes, but then it flipped a switch and became immensely watchable.

this show hasn't hit that switch. uninteresting characters, a fleeting story that has few threads that interest me, and i'm not keen on the acting either. pretty mediocre show. never read the books though, they might be better.

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
It's been ages since I read the book but I think they went off the path way back the way the Walking Dead has.

Also I hated Nick. Dude was kind of a douche.

For the most part he was but there was a glimmer of decent guy in there but the $%$^#& scriptwriters didn't let him stick around long enough to do anything with it.

Adam has been a real douche for me. He's constantly asking the ex for help with girl that was the reason they broke up. He comes across as trying to control Cassie not help her or look out for her best interests.

I'm wondering id Blackwell is really Blackwell. I have this feeling he might be the missing witch hunter guy (Issac I think) pretending to get that medallion. If it was so important to him and he killed to get power into it I think he'd have been so connected he'd know it was destroyed.

Baconbits

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first six episodes to really make sure I was as annoyed with it and that it wasn't just the first episode or two. It was the dialog that got me. I couldn't get into it. It's not totally the actors faults either, it's the writers. They aren't good. I was bored, the badness of it would constantly take me out of the story and I'd end up paying attention to how bad the dialog was.

The show had potential for storyline and being interesting, maybe if they fire the writers and hire some new ones, they could turn it around. But I won't be watching anymore of them.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
It's been ages since I read the book but I think they went off the path way back the way the Walking Dead has.

For the most part he was but there was a glimmer of decent guy in there but the $%$^#& scriptwriters didn't let him stick around long enough to do anything with it.

Adam has been a real douche for me. He's constantly asking the ex for help with girl that was the reason they broke up. He comes across as trying to control Cassie not help her or look out for her best interests.

I'm wondering id Blackwell is really Blackwell. I have this feeling he might be the missing witch hunter guy (Issac I think) pretending to get that medallion. If it was so important to him and he killed to get power into it I think he'd have been so connected he'd know it was destroyed.

I have such a hard time liking Adam, though I will say, in this last episode he seemed less annoying. Diana needs to move on and get over Adam. She deserves better. As a matter of fact, she's really the only sensible one in the whole group (that isn't all preachy and self-righteous like Adam can get).

Baconbits, I had a hard time, too. It took a while for me to get into the show. I like it now as "fluff," ya know? I don't take it too seriously, but it's fun. :D

julzperri

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I've watched upto episode 12 (I think? Somewhere there) and have to give up. I just can't keep up with forgiving things that shit me. It had such good premise :(

BarbaraSheridan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I have such a hard time liking Adam, though I will say, in this last episode he seemed less annoying. Diana needs to move on and get over Adam.

I think Diana is trying, but Adam (and in the one ep his dad) keep pulling her back. I'm guessing drunk bartender dad lost a few too many braincells to the booze but, seriously dude, asking your son's new ex to plan his birthday party--the day of the even no less--is pretty skeevy.

She and Faye need to get together and zap 'em all. :tongue

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I think Diana is trying, but Adam (and in the one ep his dad) keep pulling her back. I'm guessing drunk bartender dad lost a few too many braincells to the booze but, seriously dude, asking your son's new ex to plan his birthday party--the day of the even no less--is pretty skeevy.

She and Faye need to get together and zap 'em all. :tongue

Yeah, no kidding on the Adam Diana thing. Girl needs to move on. She's smarter than that.

I do like Adam's dad, though. I hope he comes through in a really awesome way (w/o being sacrificed). I'd hate to think that Diana's dad and Faye's mom are left morally unchecked and with Cassie's grandma on hiatus, who knows what will happen. Though the appearance of Blackwell does shake things up.

I wonder if gramma will come back.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So, how many of you think Faye is Cassie's half-sister? Didn't someone say Blackwell had another child?

The witchhunter seemed to tell Jake that, and I wonder why he hasn't mentioned to Cassie that she's got a half sib in the group... Seems like a nasty surprise just waiting to happen. I assumed it was Faye because she's the go-to for dark magic gal, IMO--plus the thing with her mom being totally in love with Blackwell. Then, Ithought... well, that's the obvious place to go, so maybe not... but then I thought, this show isn't really all that clever...

I do hope the grandmother comes back, but something tells me they'll just continue to keep secrets from her and horrible things will just keep happening because they didn't think to tell an adult they'd opened a gate to hell or accidentally gave witch hunters a key to the house or spilled nail polish on the carpet...

mhjess

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting really frustrated with this show. I thought with Kevin Williamson attached to it, it was going to be as good as his previous work (Vampire Diaries, Scream, Dawson's Creek). I mean, Dawson's Creek wasn't exactly groundbreaking television, but SC doesn't even have that dialogue sparkle that's trademark Kevin Williamson.

And, don't even get me started on Adam/Cassie/Jake. I believe that this is a viable love triangle like I believe bunnies can fly. Speaking of bunnies, I've seen stuffed bunnies sitting next to each other in a claw grab machine with more chemistry than Adam and Cassie (and Cassie and Jake, for that matter).

The series needs a major overhaul. Focus more on Faye and Diana and less on Cassie. And, work on pacing. We should not still be wondering who the LLBC is (Long lost Blackwell child).

At this point, it's like Vampire Diaries is a college-level science class and Secret Circle is its elementary school equivalent.