A Writer's Curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodySRV

Registered
Reaction score
I am a curious person. I love hearing stories, creating stories, learning new things and so many other things that probably won't fit here.
That being said, I wonder if I could impress upon you for some information. My curious nature pleads to know how all of you wonderful writers came into the trade. I have some questions, and plus who doesn't love to brag about themselves? Here is the perfect place to do it.

1. How old were you when you first started writing?
2. What made you first realize your love of writing?
3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write?
4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future?
5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into?
6. Why choose writing over some other career field?

For example, here are my answers.
1.As far as I can remember, I was seven. I started writing a story about unicorns, but that wasn't interesting enough for me. Later, my mom and I created a series of Aqua Overcoat comics, in which the protagonist goes to save people with her overcoats, but is never understood.
2.I think I began getting into poetry then. When I realized I could express emotions in words, I clung to them. However, I can't think of one identifiable moment here.
3. I took creative writing classes in high school, and now I am going into Communication to explore the more professional side of writing. Those classes helped me expand that love, as my teacher loved writing more than anyone else I knew.
4. Right now, I use writing for my own pleasure. However, I want to use my words to inspire people, to help them realize what they can make out of their lives. I also use writing for papers, but I don't enjoy that as much.
5. I think I want to know more about the fields before I decide that. I want to try a little bit of everything.
6.Writing is my lifeblood. I want to do something I love with my life, and that is write here (excuse the pun).

Sorry for the text wall. I hope to get to know you all a little better with your answers here.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:)

In 1st grade, we had to write a book, and I remember mine was about the flying squirrel we found in the woods and nursed to health. My classes all included some form of creative writing, and I always tried to write those well. 'Real' writing feels the same general way, I think.

Beginning Freshman year of high school, my friends begged (really) for more stuff I wrote. I'd shown them work I thought they might get a kick out of. I always liked writing, but I discovered I like fans, too ;)

3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write?
All of my English classes had creative writing included, up until college (and then it was French class that made us do it). It was a given that you'd try your hand at writing fiction at some point on your own and see what happened.

4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future?
I'm going for books in readers' hands. I want a large body of work.

5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into?
I'd just be better, of course. Always better :) Some day I'd like to be able to write good mysteries, but we'll see.

It's not really my career field, exactly. Shorts, particularly, don't pay well enough. I'm trying to work on things that pay more, but I'm most interested in the work being something I'm proud of. If that means short stories, that's what it will be.

eta- I also had a historical fiction project in a history class in college, because the teacher loved reading all things historical. He suggested I go into historical fiction for a living :) I've never taken an actual creative writing class at the university level.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score

This is a weird one for me to answer. I was a nerd in high school and found a group to play D&D, and I was the only one among my friends that always wanted to go out of my way to flesh out a character (that should've been my first sign). Then Neverwinter Nights rolled around, which was D&D but on the computer, so that became a steady hobby for a couple of years while I--you guessed it--fleshed out characters.

I never really sat down for a dedicated writing project until a few years later when I was in University. But because I had done all that roleplaying, I sort of went in with like half the needed skills already developed.

Instead of studying for finals in my third year, I was watching Dexter. So I asked myself "I know I'm going to hate the exams when the roll around because I watched Dexter instead of studying. So why aren't I studying?"

The answer was that I wasn't just watching Dexter--I was analysing it. And through analysis, I realised what made me like it. Then I started thinking about what I would do differently with the show, and that's when my MC for my current MS popped into my head. I needed someone to successfully hunt a Dexter-like villain, and the rest fell into place.

I haven't taken any formal instruction due to the already tidy debt my degree has given me. I've bought a few literary theory textbooks and studied them religiously, and for the most part they have been positive influences. But I'm honestly not convinced there's any class I could take that would teach me something I haven't already learned on my own.

I mostly use it as an entertaining vessel to convey a message that I feel is important.

I wish I had a natural inclination to zap the passive voice. I'm not one of those writers who absolutely refuses to use it ever, but it creeps into my rough drafts more than it should.

Other than that, I'm content with novel writing. Novels don't need budgets or production plans or any talent but your own. Much simpler to execute than screenplays.

I don't have a choice. I've always been a writer, even if I haven't always been writing. I just have the right brain for it: I have a knack for details, I remember people and their peculiarities, and I'm constantly on the look-out for sources of inspiration. All these things run in my head and can't be turned off.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com

I was eight.

I think it was in 7th grade. I was also set to take a creative writing course the school was offering, and a counselor told me I couldn't because "I wasn't capable of handling it." Instead of making me give up -- why do adults do these things? -- I wrote more and more. Won honorable mention in a school contest two years later.

I haven't taken any formal instruction. I did take a creative writing class in high school, but otherwise, I've been self-taught. I think I would be difficult to teach, though. I've always said I would probably fight with the teacher if he started veering into "This is the only way to do it," because I'd be the only one in the class unable to do it that way.

I'm going indie, hopefully later this year (just when I thought I was almost done, the book needs more work). My five year goal is to sell one million copies. I'd like to have an income coming in.

I had to really think about this one, because my writing takes a lot of crazy turns, and I've run into problems that few writers have, which has been very frustrating. But no, I wouldn't change it. I think it all fits together as a whole, so if I lost one of the things I have problems with, I probably wouldn't be able to do the things I'm able to do.

I want to write adventures for women.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
1. How old were you when you first started writing? I was 58
2. What made you first realize your love of writing? When I was 17 in HS I wrote a short as part of a class assignment. The teacher luv'd it, read in class, and the girls in bobbie sox went nuts (dates me doesn't it). Problem was as I progressed in life there was always some crisis at work or emergency at home that blocked any effort to exercise my muse. I retired at 57 figuring if I was ever going to write, my clock was running out.
3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write? No.
4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future? I have nine romantic suspense, mysteries, and SF novels released or contracted along with 5 shorts. That's kept me pretty busy.
5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into? Make more money (g)
6. Why choose writing over some other career field? Cause muse had remained silent too long.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com

I was 35-ish.

It wasn't so much "love" as it was I discovered I was good at it. I always knew I could write technical/legal (e.g., non-fiction) stuff, but fiction was a surprise.

Nope. Haven't yet taken a class in writing.

I use it to make money. :) My hope is that novels will fund my retirement. Because my chosen career sure didn't. :ROFL:

Not really. I think I always wish to be a better writer. But it's hard to be a writer without wanting to be a better one.

It's an awesome way to make a living if you can do it. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
1. How old were you when you first started writing? Twenty-six

2. What made you first realize your love of writing? I started writing for money, not love. Once I started writing, I found I enjoyed the process, but that was it.

3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write? I took a bunch, after I'd sold one novels, three short stories, and a few articles. My desire to write was the desire to make money, so the classes were just a learning tool.

4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future? What do you mean by "use"? I don't use my writing, I just tell stories editors want to buy.

5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into? I'm always trying to improve, but that's as it should be. If there's a field I want to get into, I sit down and write in that field. This is one of the joys of being a writer.

6. Why choose writing over some other career field? I was broke. I read an article wherein Robert Heinlein said he wrote his first short story in order to pay an overdue bill. I figured that if he could do it, I could at least try it. I sat down, wrote a short story, and it sold, paying a bit more than my day job paid in a month. I quit my day job.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
1 - 35 (I think). Stopped dabbling and started in earnest at 39. I'm 42 now.
2 - Once I started, I couldn't stop.
3 - Not yet.
4 - Not sure what you mean by use? I just write, and hopefully it sells. The money is nice, and getting nicer. I don't 'use' it for anything else?
5 - Make the bloody edits easier :D And/or have some more confidence.
6 - Cos even when it's hard, it's not work, or doesn't feel like it, because I enjoy it. Sure beats throwing pissheads out of the shop or chasing thieving bloody chavs.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score

When I was 5 I told my mom I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. After that I always wrote: stories, poems, plays, etc.

First I realized a love of stories and reading when my dad read to me and my brother every night when we were kids. Then I started trying to write them myself and realized that was fun too. The first one I tried to write was at 5.

I lucked out in always having teachers that supported my writing and that helped. I attended an arts summer school at 13 where I attended my first real creative writing courses/workshops. I took creative writing as an elective in high school and took a course in college. The college course was a dud, though. The instructor was really focused on analyzing literature rather than writing it.

Use it? I write. I've sold two short stories. I hope to add novels to my publication credits in the future.

I'm experimenting with changes right now in genre (I've been writing mostly horror and science fiction lately, and I'm playing around with a romance novel). I don't know about fields I'd want to get into. I like fiction just fine.

Because I love writing and making up stories better than just about anything else.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I am a curious person. I love hearing stories, creating stories, learning new things and so many other things that probably won't fit here.
That being said, I wonder if I could impress upon you for some information. My curious nature pleads to know how all of you wonderful writers came into the trade. I have some questions, and plus who doesn't love to brag about themselves? Here is the perfect place to do it.

1. How old were you when you first started writing? late twenties

2. What made you first realize your love of writing? who said I loved writing? not to be flip, or contrary, but I do want to clarify I didn't "get the calling," I read a particular book I loved that made me say "shit, writing sounds swell, why not try that?" Not i will admit, freely, that is a horrible reason to try to write, but I also like challenging myself. So, I'm trying to write and sell a few novels as part of my "to do" list.

3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write? no classes; I tested into advanced English and only had a semester in undergrad, then went to graduate school for biology

4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future? I tend to use it to communicate in forums or other times and places where the spoken word is ineffective or too loud. And to make stories. I doubt that is what you wanted, but this sounds like an essay question for a homework assignment, and the simple answers I gave happen to be, in my case, the honest ones. I write to communicate, and to try to make marketable stories--I'm not heeding the call or letting my muse out or trying to teach the world.

5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into? yeah, i wish i was better at doing more of it so i could sell some more stuff, but I have an honorary PhD in procrastination :-(

6. Why choose writing over some other career field? I didn't--I'm a biologist who writes in his spare time. If you check the numbers, there ARE some folks making ends meet by writing, but most folks here ARE in some other career field. Because they like food, and electricity.

For example, here are my answers.
1.As far as I can remember, I was seven. I started writing a story about unicorns, but that wasn't interesting enough for me. Later, my mom and I created a series of Aqua Overcoat comics, in which the protagonist goes to save people with her overcoats, but is never understood.
2.I think I began getting into poetry then. When I realized I could express emotions in words, I clung to them. However, I can't think of one identifiable moment here.
3. I took creative writing classes in high school, and now I am going into Communication to explore the more professional side of writing. Those classes helped me expand that love, as my teacher loved writing more than anyone else I knew. just my 2 cents: pick something you can do if writing DOESN'T pan out. If the comm degree is that thing, great, ut if you're doing it to be a "writer's degree", don't. you can learn to write without classes, and you can attend a boatload, get your bachelors, and still write horribly. make sure all your eggs aren't in that basket
4. Right now, I use writing for my own pleasure. However, I want to use my words to inspire people, to help them realize what they can make out of their lives. I also use writing for papers, but I don't enjoy that as much.
5. I think I want to know more about the fields before I decide that. I want to try a little bit of everything.
6.Writing is my lifeblood. I want to do something I love with my life, and that is write here (excuse the pun).

Sorry for the text wall. I hope to get to know you all a little better with your answers here.

lmao...the more you know m the less you'll like me anyway :tongue

I respect folks who write because it is their lifeblood, but that is not me, at all. remember it takes all kinds, because you'll get answers from all of them.

welcome to the site,
Quick

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
1 - 35 (I think). Stopped dabbling and started in earnest at 39. I'm 42 now.

that makes me feel better about my slackassery...I'm about 2 years ahead of ya then and you seem to be doing well

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
*cracks whip* :D

mmmmm

...wait, I was supposed to not like it?

I turn 38 soon, so just glad to see I'm not too damn old. Other than getting smarter and better-looking each year, i am finding little to look forward to....

cara

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote from the age of....4-6? Very small stuff.

I have too many ideas and decided to put them on a computer document! Then I discovered it was fun. Plus my sister loves writing and I wanted in on the fun.

No, I never would. I prefer doing my own thing then asking real people for their opinions. I'm not going to sell stuff to teachers or literary folk.

I use it as therapy. It gets me into my internal world. If I'm sad I can write something to make myself feel better. It acts like a massage along with meditation!

I'd like to be better (don't we all?) and also to be able to write literary fiction for adults. I'm no poet.

I'm not. I'm not good enough to write for a living, plus I want to do too many things. I'd always write on the side. It keeps it fresh and interesting. I don't want it to be a chore, like a job.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
About 4 or 5 (when I wrote and illustrated books). Seriously writing, I only started a few years ago (so, about 17).

I tried writing short stories for fun (well, I loved writing stories in school) and enjoyed it a lot. Won a couple of competitions which encouraged me to continue.

No. I kind of wanted to, but I think there're a lot of resources out there so classes aren't necessary really.

I'm currently using it as a challenge to myself, to see if I can get good enough to be published. In future, I'd like to be able to publish books regularly as part of an income.

I'd like to form storylines better - I tend to lean towards underwriting, even with a plan, and think some of my stuff should have more world-building (that's what edits are for). I'd like to be more patient too - I hate editing the third or fourth time through :(

I'd like to write alongside some other career, so I'd have a stable income, and maybe earn more money so I could retire early and write more :)

MelodySRV

Registered
Reaction score
Quick,
The reason I'm doing the Comm degree is two fold. On the one side, it will help me with certain parts of writing, but on the other it opens up my options for other careers. I don't see why I can't do both.

I appreciate your honesty. I understand that writers are as diverse as books are. That's what makes writing so fun.

Thank you for your input.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i didn't say you can't do both, I was encouraging you to make sure you were in fact doing both.

too many start out thinking if they just go get that English degree they will learn to write and start selling books, but the truth is many with english degrees can't or won't learn to write, and many without them do quite well.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com

I was around 6 or 7 the first time I tried to write a story. It was a blatant rip-off of Cinderella. But I was telling stories long before that.

No idea. I've just always loved telling stories.

I did a summer workshop when I was 11, before starting 7th grade (I skipped 6th grade entirely). I don't know how much difference it made, looking back, but it was a fun experience.

Other than that, just the standard English classes in high school and college.

I'm a full-time writer and editor. My "day job" writing is for a variety of web design blogs. I write fiction (novels, novellas, and screenplays) on the side, but hope it can produce the bulk of my income someday.

I'd love it if fiction writing came as easily to me as non-fiction. With non-fic, I barely have to edit (I perfect as I go), and I can write a couple thousand words a day without having to really think about it. With fiction, I do a lot more editing and lack the same kind of focus I have with non-fiction (probably because I'm not paid nearly as well for it).

It's what I'm best at. I'm a decent designer, a crappy salesperson, a horrible insurance agent, but I'm a pretty good writer.

sparnols

Registered
Reaction score
1. How old were you when you first started writing?I believe I was 7. I started a journal which turned into a book of poems.
2. What made you first realize your love of writing? The first time someone came to me and asked me to write a poem for a girl they liked. End result, he landed the girl.
3. Did you take any classes in writing? How did they affect your desire to write? No was always scared of formal writting classes. I am my own worse critic.
4. How do you use writing now, or how would you like to use writing in the future? I would like to, as all us would I'm sure like to see my MS published.
5. Is there anything you wish you could change about your writing? Any field you wish you could get into? The only thing I would like to change will only come with time. That is the ability to put onto paper all the concepts I see in my brain.
Because for me, It allows me to escape the world as we know it and bring a new, and unexplored territory to life for others.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca

Very young... I don't remember exactly but creative writing was my favourite thing to do at school by 8-- by 10 I was really into it, I wrote a novel at 11, hahaha.

I'm not sure. My love of reading, I'd guess.

I was in a young playwrights' group when I was 15/16, led by a Real Playwright. It was awesome, actually, but I was much too shy to share my work most of the time.

I use it to explore things I can't explore in my life-- to get the chance to be more people and have more experiences.

I like my writing as is, actually. I wish I could write short stories, though-- I've been trying and I still mostly suck at them. That's something I know I can work on, though-- read more of them, try more of them, etc.

It's not my career field, and actually even if I could make good money off of it, I'd want to to be a co-career. I need to balance-- being too much in my head too often isn't very good for me. But writing fulfills me-- if i've written a good scene, it's been a worthwhile day, and I love that feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.