Best place to start....

Colossus

I reckon so.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of my quest for an agent. The problem I've run into is that a lot of the listings online have very dated information. A lot of the agencies are closed, consolidated, or refuse to read unsolicited queries since the posting was created.

My question is where is the best place to find updated information on agents that are accepting queries and those that don't necessarily look for a "previous best-seller" tattoo on you somewhere?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
QueryTracker

AgentQuery

Publisher's Marketplace

I like QueryTracker because they have a fairly well filtered (there are few if any scammers on there) searchable database of agents and if you get the free account you can use their spreadsheet to track your queries. They also have detailed information like turn-around times and query acceptance rates.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If it's on their website, assume it is correct unless you know otherwise. All of the other sites tell you to verify with the website. If an agent hasn't updated that and receives subs they don't want, it is their own fault.
Check Bewares and background checks in this forum.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
QueryTracker

AgentQuery

Publisher's Marketplace

These are all good places to start. You can search by your genre and take a look at recent sales (if the agent regularly reports).

From there, I suggest checking out the agency or agent's personal website or blog. That information should always be the most current, including whether the agent is currently taking submission and what he/she is looking for.

Good luck!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It depends - sometimes the agency website is sometimes not updated frequently while the individual agents write their own entries at AQ so their guidelines may be more accurate.