Number of Author Copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
The publication date for my novel is the end of March. I just got an email from my publisher asking how many discounted author copies I want to buy. I presume I'd use these for giveaways/contests, to give to family, to sell at events, readings and conferences, and so on.

How many author copies do writers generally order? On what criteria do you base that number?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
It's bad if you are mandated by contract to buy the books. Usually the free copies you receive are enough for giveaways and such.

Reaction score
Yes. At 40% off. Is that bad?
The publisher of my first two books sells print copies at an author discount; two other (bigger) ones give me free copies of my books published there, which is standard practice.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My small press publisher, by contract, gives me 10 free copies. I'm not required to buy anything, but have the option to purchase as many copies as I want at 40% off. I see that I'm not allowed to resell those, though. I can only give them away.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Then it's all good.

Unless you are giving away all your free books to families, you probably don't need much more than 10. To come up with a number, determine how many readings you'll participate in, giveaway contests you'll throw, and how may family members you are going to receive a free copy.

Reaction score
Ah, I see. My apologies; I took it to mean you were being charged money for any copies you took up.

I've never needed more than my five free print copies. :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. My apologies; I took it to mean you were being charged money for any copies you took up.

I've never needed more than my five free print copies. :)

No worries. I guess I'll probably just need to make sure me, my kids and my mother each get one.

The rest of the world must PAY!! :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
You'll want to ask for more if you are planning to do any book fairs. They often require a copy to be sent with your application.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I usually get fifty free copies, twenty-five at a time, with the understanding that most of them will go to any reviewers we missed, or to anyone else I can find who might be influential to sales.

I've never had the need to buy discounted copies, though this can be a good thing when and if the book is remaindered, and the discount gets even better.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I have cases of author copies in storage. They just sent them.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
You can order as many or as few as you like of the author discounted copies. How many do you want? There is no contractual obligation (or there shouldn't be... if there is, then I smell scam...). I actually only bought one (as a gift). I did, however, allow my friends and family to buy any copies they wanted on the discount using the link the publisher gave me. The friends and family I liked, anyway. The rest had to buy it full price like the proles. :)

Actually, I think publishers should offer another option - an edition sold at double (no! Triple!) the cover price. For the friends and family you really hate so you can force them to buy it at an inflated price... that may require a brit humour alert thingy but I have no idea how to do it... :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Every time I try to give a free copy to a family member, they hand it back and say they want to go buy it. (I love my family)

Think about the promotion you plan on doing. Are you attending any conventions? Book fairs? Library readings? Anyplace you might want to do a giveaway or raffle? Will your local libraries carry it, or can you donate copies? And don't forget online promo, such as blog giveaways.

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
Every time I try to give a free copy to a family member, they hand it back and say they want to go buy it. (I love my family)

Think about the promotion you plan on doing. Are you attending any conventions? Book fairs? Library readings? Anyplace you might want to do a giveaway or raffle? Will your local libraries carry it, or can you donate copies? And don't forget online promo, such as blog giveaways.

I would definitely want to buy the book also, so that my family member would be able to get sales started as soon as possible! Getting the book for free from a family member would not make me as happy as actually being able to go to a book store, pick it out and go pay for it :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
For the small presses I've been pubbed by, I requested my ten free copies, and also another ten (free) to give to reviewers. I told the publisher I would copy them with the letters/emails so they knew the copies went to the intended purpose. That's to their benefit as well as mine, and the publisher agreed because I'd be doing all the work to find the reviewers and get them sent out.

Then I bought 25 copies for donation baskets, local libraries and such to help spread the word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.