PDA

View Full Version : take what I can get, I reckon

zarch
12-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I got a hand-written rejection note in response to my novel (query only) today (from a small press). The editor indicated that the book leans a little too far toward commercial and away from literary. Anyway, at the end of the note, the editor wrote "P.S. Great title!"

That's...uh...something positive...right?

September skies
12-17-2005, 08:25 AM
I think so. Of course, I've never had a book rejection (because I just mailed my first manuscript today) but I've had a couple of magazine article rejections and the hand written one was the best. (I even framed it)
And I think it's nice that she wrote that comment about your title. A professional is telling you that you did a good job in choosing the title.

writerterri
12-17-2005, 08:48 AM
I think he personally liked the title, but it was the story that counted, right.

Next publisher.....

Sorry and good luck.

blacbird
12-17-2005, 11:39 AM
"a little too far toward commercial and away from literary"

So, let me make sure I got this straight . . . your novel got rejected because it was likely to sell too many copies?

caw.

zarch
12-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, I think it boiled down to style. I knew going in that it would be a long shot. After reading a bit about the publisher, I knew that my manuscript was going to be considered maybe too mainstream and contemporary...but I figured what the heck I'll query. Oh well, no big deal. Nothing ventured.....

Jamesaritchie
12-18-2005, 12:43 AM
"a little too far toward commercial and away from literary"

So, let me make sure I got this straight . . . your novel got rejected because it was likely to sell too many copies?

caw.

That's certainly an interesting reason to reject a novel, isn't it?

triceretops
12-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Sounds exactly like mine in a way, from a small California regional publisher:

I'm afraid this has too much national appeal.

Oh. Kay.

Tri

aka eraser
12-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Start researching those commercial pubs Zarch. You'd just as soon sell a hundred thousand instead of five anyway. ;)

Good luck. :)